Everybody Loves Raymond

Comments

• Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    I went through the stage of watching it a few years back. I'm currently enjoying one of channel 4's other american import 'According to Jim'.

People do criticize C4's morning line up but I enjoy waking up to the things they show. If they shuffle the slot the programmes are shown in every so often then i'll keep watching. When I used to watch Raymond it was in the 7:30am slot, which is now occupied by According to Jim. By doing that they've kept me tuning in.

Agree with you, but WHY do they keep moving the start times. Sometimes 7.30 or 7.35, sometimes as late as 7.40.
    I need to leave for work at 8 - and always shower during the break.

Stop messing with the timings!!
  • ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank is my favourite character.

I love the episode where he and Ray are playing table tennis in the basement. Also the one where Frank starts writing magazine articles.

There are lots of good Robert episodes too. The one where he starts acting black is very, very funny.

The table tennis episode is my favourite too, I love the rhymes frank comes out with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Agree with you, but WHY do they keep moving the start times. Sometimes 7.30 or 7.35, sometimes as late as 7.40.
    I need to leave for work at 8 - and always shower during the break.

Stop messing with the timings!!

There are several reasons why this happens, next tuesday is a 7:35 because the morning deal or no deal repeat finished EARLY. The free 10mins have been filled up with a 5 minute paralympic show and a 10min episode of the treacle people. So they will delay the whole morning schedule to show a sports programme in the children's hours, which will gain little views.
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    There are loads of great episodes.

I like the one where they are eating the bag of potato chips sitting on the couch in Marie's immaculate front room and she's pretending she doesn't care about mess any more.

Also the one where Ray decides that Frank wasn't that bad + that Marie had been making him look bad over the years.

Ray's poem about Debra with 'cartilage' in it was classic too.

The one where there is news footage of Robert running away from the bull is funny too.
  • ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the one where frank and Marie come back from the retirement village. Marie keeps calling Roberts gym a sex machine. hahaha
  • Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love ELR, you do get the occasional which can be crap and boring, but most episodes are good. Other American sitcoms I like include 'According To Jim', 'Frasier' and 'Seinfeld'.
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Caught a couple of good episodes recently.

The one where it's Frank's birthday and Ray buys him a huge fish tank. The image of Robert staring through the glass cracked me up.

Also, the one where Debra writes Marie a letter about being intrusive. I loved it when Ray said 'I want everyone to know that Debra drinks'.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another funny episode (there's loads of them) is when Ray's parents announce that they're moving away and are giving the house to Robert and Amy. Robert is so excited and happy that he effortlessly picks up Amy and sits her atop of the refirigerator in Ray's kitchen. Then ray tries to copy Robert and picks up Debra - but she's a bit too heavy for him and he ends up slamming her into the refrigerator door. :D
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chzza wrote: »
    I love the one where frank and Marie come back from the retirement village. Marie keeps calling Roberts gym a sex machine. hahaha

And then, at the end, Robert sits on it and a bit springs up and hits him in the groin and he says;

'This is definitely NOT a sex machine.'

:D
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Another funny episode (there's loads of them) is when Ray's parents announce that they're moving away and are giving the house to Robert and Amy. Robert is so excited and happy that he effortlessly picks up Amy and sits her atop of the refirigerator in Ray's kitchen. Then ray tries to copy Robert and picks up Debra - but she's a bit too heavy for him and he ends up slamming her into the refrigerator door. :D

:D:D That bit makes me laugh too. Robert made it seem so effortless with Amy, then poor Debra gets slamdunk'd!

I also like the flashback episode about Ally's birth, where Ray and Robert are in the car with Debra getting ready to deliver her baby, legs in the air and everything on show, only for it to be a false alarm. The look on Robert's face!!! :D:D
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh and the one where one of the twins is behind in school.

Here's Michael's................and here's Geoffrey's.

:)

Love it too. That was my favourite episode. I like it when Debra laughs manically at the teacher and then whispers "Something bad is coming" to Raymond :)

I have seen most episodes 2 or 3 times and they still make me laugh!
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I love Amy's passive aggressive mother!
  • LadyChatterboxLadyChatterbox Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I love this programme, they are all so dysfunctional. My favourite episode is when it is Frank and Marie's wedding anniversary and they have a big do and Ray and Deborah do a sketch impersonating them. Franka nd Marie take it in good part then later impersonate Ray and Deborah,,...whose senses of humour are not so good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another favourite of mine is the episode where we see his cousin Gerard for the first time. Ray finds him really annoying but then comes to realise that they are almost twins.

(Great casting.)
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    'I can explain sex to Ally.'
    'You know what Ray? You can be there when I do it. I'll explain it to the both of you.'
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that I used to only catch 5-10 mins of this show every morning before heading off to work but it always made me laugh. Ended up getting the box sets off LoveFILM but only made it to about season 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another favourite is when Ray looks after the family finances and ends up with three cheque books (after blaming money troubles on Deborah's 'drinking').
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cookie jar episode was hilarious! They kept trying to get rid of it but it always came back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the running gag about the Fruit of the Month birthday present that Ray gave Frank and Marie.

Casual viewers are probably puzzled as to why Marie sometimes complains about how much fruit they have in the house - and even occasionally runs after people asking them to take fruit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've tried watching it several times now, mainly in the morning on C4, and I just can not for the life of me find anything funny about it at all.

It's predictable, laboured, poorly scripted/acted. None of the cast have any redeeming characteristics of worth. Raymond's mother is a feeble imitation of Estelle Costanza off Seinfeld. God awful tv show.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't, know whether they do it often as I only watch it occasionally, but sometimes C4 show episodes massively out of order, in the morning double bill you sometimes get an episode from a later season followed by an episode from a mush earlier season.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't, know whether they do it often as I only watch it occasionally, but sometimes C4 show episodes massively out of order, in the morning double bill you sometimes get an episode from a later season followed by an episode from a mush earlier season. They probably do this with a lot of shows but with show featuring young children it is more noticeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there has ever been another comedy based on so many family members?

Ray Romano's daughter is actually called Alexandra - and his daughter plays Molly, Ally's best friend.

Ray also has twin boys - called Gregory and Matthew. In the pilot they were called the same names but for the rest of the show they were changed to Geoffrey and Michael.

Ray Romano's brother is called Richard and he really is a Sergeant in the NYPD.

Both Ray's brother and father have had tiny parts in the show.
  • Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, can someone please explain to me the meaning behind the position the three men are standing at the beginning of this scene? From Season 8, Blabbermouths.

It's always bugged me and I've never been able to find out the reason why they did that.