Pat and Cabbage

Comments

• timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it for what it is.A half hour of escapism.I have long got past the expectation of any new 'sitcom' being a really funny and classic experience,and just hope that the new things are not an excuse to push the latest 'this weeks flavour of the month' vapid personality down our throats.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was ok. Nothing brilliant, but nothing terrible either. I thought Peter Davison was good in it. Probably won't see a second episode, given that I just had it on for the sake of it.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't going to watch it just because of its stupid title, but I did and found it mildly amusing, not as bad as I expected.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok to,not laugh out funny,might get better as it develops,beter than big school in my opinion.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I wasn't going to watch it just because of its stupid title, but I did and found it mildly amusing, not as bad as I expected.

Sounds like most beers these days - they all have to have offputting stupid names as well
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just awful.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    This looks dire, I may watch just to see how bad its gonna be and for the reaction it will get on here.

It WAS dire. Truly dire. In fact I think it was the very worst "comedy" prog I've ever seen.

My hubby walked in and said "is this supposed to be funny. It's ridiculous."

Same old, same old as in every other comedy prog over the years (but they were done better). Crashing into parked cars, getting clothes stuck in car door, fancying blokes, being giggly. OMG It was terrible.

Compare that with things like Butterflies (middleaged woman having secret liaisons with middleaged man) and there is no comparison.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherie and Barbara were great, but the rest of the family were rubbish. I shall watch it next week for the two ladies.

Barbara was also very funny in Cranford.

I will keep watching as well - mainly for Cherie as I really like her...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope....it was rubbish. I am out. I felt sorry for the hamster - how was he expected to work with that script?
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would have been far worse...I actually did really laugh at one point...when they were parked outside Martins house ....and were talking about the mystery woman and her maybe being "easy".and slipping out the front hole...OK...childish humour but made me laugh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Cherie Lunghi looks that good in sports gear at 61. I don't know whether to hate or admire her... :)

...I've decided on admiration.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why in hell is she called Cabbage? Will we ever find out??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Why in hell is she called Cabbage? Will we ever find out??

This will explain it.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It WAS dire. Truly dire. In fact I think it was the very worst "comedy" prog I've ever seen.

My hubby walked in and said "is this supposed to be funny. It's ridiculous."

Same old, same old as in every other comedy prog over the years (but they were done better). Crashing into parked cars, getting clothes stuck in car door, fancying blokes, being giggly. OMG It was terrible.

Compare that with things like Butterflies (middleaged woman having secret liaisons with middleaged man) and there is no comparison.

I gave it 15 minutes before I put my headphones in and watched some funny you tube vids.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherie and Barbara were great

Grab a Granny ?

Yes I would !

Mild humour, à la Trollied.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I don't find any modern comedy shows funny, try though I have to do so, by watching first episodes and trying to find something worth watching again. So far I haven't got past 15 minutes and not one smile, let alone laugh, have any raised with me!

I watched this cos of who the stars were, but it was dire. They tried to hard too try and be funny, and the writing wasn't up to it.
    I watched as far as the bit where the son-in-law saw the car had gone and seemed to think the hamster had driven it away .... that was so embarrassing I turned the V+ off.

This was written by two actresses - I assume neither of them have done real comedy before.

The fact this was deemed good enough to get as far as filming a series by whoever decides these things just shows what state modern comedy is in!

I actually put an episode of Dad's Army on instead (No Spring for Frazer) Hilarious!
    Give me 'Old' comedy any day!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    molyesha wrote: »
    It's one of those programmes that I can't wait for it to start, just so I won't have to see the trailer anymore. It seems like it's 'Last of the Summer Wine' but with two women, getting up to 'craaazy' stuff. Every time that woman says, 'I think it's going to lead to one or both of your deaths' in the trailer, I think, really? What can two 50/60-something women be doing that's THAT crazy?

Armed Robbery?
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    Didn't Pat and Dr Who both work together at the same university in the 80s?:confused:

Yes they did, as did Two's eldest son. And the fourth member of the medical centre (Graham Crowden) had been in The Horns of Nimon serial with Four
    Forum Member
    Why is she called Cabbage

Because she has a head injury? :p
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I don't find any modern comedy shows funny, try though I have to do so, by watching first episodes and trying to find something worth watching again. So far I haven't got past 15 minutes and not one smile, let alone laugh, have any raised with me!

I watched this cos of who the stars were, but it was dire. They tried to hard too try and be funny, and the writing wasn't up to it.
    I watched as far as the bit where the son-in-law saw the car had gone and seemed to think the hamster had driven it away .... that was so embarrassing I turned the V+ off.

This was written by two actresses - I assume neither of them have done real comedy before.

The fact this was deemed good enough to get as far as filming a series by whoever decides these things just shows what state modern comedy is in!

I actually put an episode of Dad's Army on instead
    (No Spring for Frazer) Hilarious!
    Give me 'Old' comedy any day!

I do the same when I am faced with mountains of ironing!

Stuff like Dad's Army, Only Fools & Horses, Butterflies ... they're all better than Pat & Cabbage. Even Terry & June makes me laugh!!:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    I first remember her from A Family at War.

Yes, she played Frida.

The title of this put me off: very "Rosemary and Thyme" sounding. Women in their 60s are 'hot' right now - it would be lovely to have something great as a vehicle for actresses like Barbara (woefully underused over the years - agreed) and Cherie.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Yes, she played Frida.

The title of this put me off: very "Rosemary and Thyme" sounding. Women in their 60s are 'hot' right now - it would be lovely to have something great as a vehicle for actresses like Barbara (woefully underused over the years - agreed) and Cherie.

I LOVED Rosemary and Thyme. I was sorry it ended. I bought the whole series on DVD.

Why IS that woman called Cabbage? I couldn't be bothered to watch the video clip.

I agree - I only watched because of Barbara and Cherie, but the writing was just awful.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    After reading everyone's comments, I thought it'd be as dire as Heading Out or The Wright Way, but I was surprised by how much I liked it. It's got some funny moments and made me chuckle. It's not world-changing comedy, but it was an enjoyable half hour.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading that the Saturday morning kids show Saturday Banana was so titled after a typo resulted from the original title Saturday Bananza , maybe Pat and Cabbage was originally Pat and Garbage? just a thought :)
  • verity65verity65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    It was dire and I gave it a go because of the actors,shall not be tuning in again