LOST - The Statue - Sobek? Anubis? Tawaret?

12346»

Comments

• cassiopeacassiopea Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Re the statue, irrespective of whether or not the statue was broken down to use for building something else, SOMETHING happened to the statue before that happened IMO, hence the 'snapped off at the ankle' break. The question is, is that SOMETHING the bomb going off? Miles' interpretation is that whatever happened before will happen, that's just the way it is, whilst Faraday believed that certain things could be changed. The statue aside, it'll also be interesting to see what effect the bomb has had on the EM pulse problem. If anything possibly it's amplified the effect, hence the need for the 'button'.

I think it highly likely that the bomb blew up the statue. The other thing that could do it IMO is the movement of the island that might have been done in the past. I think it all depends on whether it was intact in the 70's or not which we don't know yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cdsmiler81 wrote: »
    He is a 'candidate' after all! :)

Exactly:cool:. I wonder if the entities of Jacob and the other fella can take human form and that's how they are known as different people throughout history. We have only seen them as Mark Pellegrino and Titus Welliver (the actors who play the parts) so we know who they are in the show.

EDIT Sorry, of course we know that they can take human form but what I mean is that we aren't seeing them in their current human form it's just that the actors are playing the entities in their natural state and appear as those men just so we can identify them. Do you see what I mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    cassiopea wrote: »
    Exactly:cool:. I wonder if the entities of Jacob and the other fella can take human form and that's how they are known as different people throughout history. We have only seen them as Mark Pellegrino and Titus Welliver (the actors who play the parts) so we know who they are in the show.

We could also assume that the other fella has also taken the form of at least John Locke...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cdsmiler81 wrote: »
    We could also assume that the other fella has also taken the form of at least John Locke...
    See my edit above:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    See my edit above:)

Damn! lol hehe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Anti-Jacob could be Jacob's father and that is why to become leader of The Others you have to kill your father (not confirmed)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stator wrote: »
    I wonder if Anti-Jacob could be Jacob's father and that is why to become leader of The Others you have to kill your father (not confirmed)?

It would tie the two fellas and the theme of father issue in Lost together quite nicely that, but they looked more like brothers than father and son.
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    On a personal level, I have problems with the second and third seasons. Whilst I believe Abrams/Lindelof etc when they say that they've always had the resolution to the series mapped out, I think they're a little less clear on the specific journey, largely because the timescale that they have to work with was at the will of ABC, and therefore, largely, an unknown variable.

In my opinion, this does highlight itself during the second and third seasons in particular where, at times, the pacing of the narrative left a lot to be desired. My perception around this was that they were padding the narrative out.

Things got better almost as soon as ABC laid down a concrete timeline for the duration of the series. Reinvigorated by the final variable being quantified, they could finally start setting elements of the story in motoin in terms of moving certain pieces towards their natural end.

Despite there being some solid episodes within each of these seasons, generally speaking they were much weaker than the first, and IMO, the fourth and fifth, and consequently, it doesn't really surprise me that some people at the very least will have opted out, and probably did so before the green shoots of recovery became apparent.

I know you don't want to be implicated in the more petty squabbles I've been drawn into and partly culpable for herein, but thanks for meeting me half-way. I can't question the quality of seasons four and five other than to say the Wiki episode summaries have only summoned up all my old qualms. But that's besides the point, because one's appreciation (or lackthereof) of an entire season will surely affect your perception overall. All posters who cited structural weaknesses in the series conceded that they'd rode those rough patches out, so to speak. They accepted the failings, to whatever degree they estimated them to be such, and kept believing in the over-arching integrity of the narrative scheme.

And there's a lot of reasons to forgive a series' transgressions when, after all, it is TV and is subject to the demanding production context which this entails. It's like most of Dickens' serialised novels, in that the semblance of a narrative arc exists, but there's a lot of content to be worked out in-between the start and end. So I reckon for many it comes down to an ultimatum: will you forgive the show when it diverges form the core logic of everything that has come before, or will you lose belief and renounce it altogether. It's nice to see that by page 6 (!) I'm not alone in realising that both camps are quite sizable.
  • RelicaRelica Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Is the statue an Alien ship and Jacob the pilot? Perhaps the rest of the statue is cloaked.

I must get out more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relica wrote: »
    Is the statue an Alien ship and Jacob the pilot? Perhaps the rest of the statue is cloaked.

I must get out more!
    LOLOLOL I know how you feel I just posted the following on another thread, ...thought I'd post it here to see what you guys think...

Regarding how the numbers keep poping up from the Valenzetti Equation:
    You remember how Neo saw the Matrix at the end it was an endless list of numbers making up the computer generated world that the machines had created to keep mankind under control and acting as batteries? I think of the real world in Lost in a similar way. Different elements of life are represented by different numerical numbers which when calculated into a formula you get the VE. Jacob manipulates them and Dharma are trying to change them - PROGRESS?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOLOLOL I know how you feel I just posted the following on another thread, ...thought I'd post it here to see what you guys think...

Regarding how the numbers keep poping up from the Valenzetti Equation:
    You remember how Neo saw the Matrix at the end it was an endless list of numbers making up the computer generated world that the machines had created to keep mankind under control and acting as batteries? I think of the real world in Lost in a similar way. Different elements of life are represented by different numerical numbers which when calculated into a formula you get the VE. Jacob manipulates them and Dharma are trying to change them - PROGRESS?!

hahaha I love it. :D I do think you need to be careful though, as your head may pop with all these theories. LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relica wrote: »

I must get out more!

OMG......what if they actually did do something like this.!!

Imagine after 5 series they end it with an alien spacecraft taking off.....or its all a dream of Jack's before he takes Oceanic Airlines Flight 815!! LOL

I would have to find the producers and beat them. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would tie the two fellas and the theme of father issue in Lost together quite nicely that, but they looked more like brothers than father and son.

Given how they are super natural beings of some kind that don't age and at least one of them can take multiple human forms, I think the usual physical resemblence wouldn't apply here :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stator wrote: »
    Given how they are super natural beings of some kind that don't age and at least one of them can take multiple human forms, I think the usual physical resemblence wouldn't apply here :D

True but who knows with entities and the resemblance is to represent the alien/entities association with each other more on a brotherly plane/alien equivalent...:o;)
    I think if the stories are tree like the Bible story then the two entities would have the same relationship as seen by that story but then in the story of Greek mythology they would be adversaries. I suppose lets forget family ties and say good vs evil - THE FINAL BATTLE!!!:D Gosh I think I'd better go play a video game or something...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noir75 wrote: »

Imagine after 5 series they end it with an alien spacecraft taking off.....or its all a dream of Jack's before he takes Oceanic Airlines Flight 815!! LOL

It's more and more like the BSG remake:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahaha I love it. :D I do think you need to be careful though, as your head may pop with all these theories. LOL

I'm on a mad crazy roll...think I should forget about that video game and just sit down...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Anti-Jacob has killed Jacob, is he going to eat all The Others on the beach? It would make for a good opening scene of series 6 Anti-Jacob reverts to smokey and eats them one by one whilst they try to flee.
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know, it could end with them throwing the island into space (somehow) to get rid of it for good. Later, a bunch of aliens just hanging around flying through space crash on it.

Cue the final shot of Jacob still being alive on the island watching them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    You know, it could end with them throwing the island into space (somehow) to get rid of it for good. Later, a bunch of aliens just hanging around flying through space crash on it.

Cue the final shot of Jacob still being alive on the island watching them.

I would smash my TV to bits. LOL :D
  • jessicatjessicat Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    regarding the statue... I just spent Easter in Egypt looking round the temples and one thing that became apparent was that the same God can be presented in a great variety of ways- with a human head, or a variety of animal heads and still be considered the same God. So I think that the head type they have chosen for Tarawet is not wrong as such. Secondly nearly everything had an ankh on it- they were literally everywhere you looked and were depicted as being held by both Gods and Pharoahs. The ankh sign means eternal life, which might also tie in with longevity of Richard Alpert/ Jacob/ Jacob's enemy.

As an aside, my personal theory about the story arc is that they just originally planned to make the story a circle that was based on the passengers of 815 ultimately being responsible for their own crash via time travel. (I would guess that the adam and eve corpses will turn out to be two of the crash survivors probably Jack & Kate for irony value given they found them but maybe Rose & Bernard or Jin & Sun). I don't believe they had fully worked out the specifics of how they were going to make the plot happen or who was going to live or die, particularly because Jacob could easily have been put into the flashbacks from a lot earlier on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't even bloody joke about it:eek: It doesn't bear thinking about.