Options

Anthony Worrell-Thompson

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun are reporting this occured five times at a self service checkout over 20 days.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4046788/Chef-Antony-Worrall-Thompson-shoplifts-at-Tesco.html
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably blown out of all proportion, why would he want to shoplift something of low value? I would like to know more facts about this. Did Tesco press charges? Edit — Just seen the post and link above with more details.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    It would be a lot easier to look down on him if it wasn't for the fact that Tescos are thieving scumbags themselves.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be a lot easier to look down on him if it wasn't for the fact that Tescos are thieving scumbags themselves.

I see your point, but two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's a funny story but he must have some issues.
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy to inadvertently shoplift using the self service scanners, especially if it's a lightweight item that doesn't trigger the 'unexpected item in bagging area' alert. But surely wine would have needed a sales assistant to confirm he was okay to buy it?

I'm also surprised that, according to the linked article, cheese is the most shoplifted article of food. Why cheese?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a Hobbit or a forest troll. :p
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Weird one.
    I hope Tesco are happy with the police merely cautioning any 5-time shoplifters, not just the high profile ones.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Firstly, I can't spell his name :D

He has been cautioned, which is an admission of guilt, so no question of this being a mistake or oversight.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I've done it. I'm not generally a thief but I get so incensed by these tills which never work properly and have all these stupid rules to stop you stealing, that it felt like a challenge. Liquid liner in a net bag of satsumas.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm presuming he was only caught once and that they were just suspicious on the previous 4 occasions.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember, this is the same chef who wanted the last Labour Government to scrap the minimum wage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4761693.stm

Must be struggling to pay his staff a living wage, eh?
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Times must be hard for the poor fella.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I avoid these self service scanners as I have had two strokes and its confusing for me as its not clear what a person does if they have a shopping trolley and I have never been able to use one without help.

My local Sainsbury's has one but in my situation its far quicker just to queue up and pay at a normal till.

If the sun report is accurate it states ' A source said: "He was ordering blocks of cheese at the deli counter, taking bottles of wine, then putting some things through the scanner but walking out with the rest.

"They caught him on camera doing it more than once, but had to be 100 per cent sure it was not a genuine mistake before apprehending him. Because of his high profile, the security staff could not afford to get it wrong."

which is a bit strange why Tesco Sources said the stolen goods were "relatively low value" but included cheeses and bottles of wine.

which in my book are not low value items.

Many years ago I spotted a OAP stealing cat food right in front of a camera so I pointed this out to her and she put the two tins back - I wonder if she would have been given a second chance ? { at the time there was no such thing as a formal caution }
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Couldn'tbelieve it when I saw his picture on the BBC site. At first, I thought that Richard Madeley was looking old.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    I'm also surprised that, according to the linked article, cheese is the most shoplifted article of food. Why cheese?

It comes in small packets (easily fit into pockets), it's relatively high value compared to other food, it doesn't go off too quickly, and everyone likes cheese!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only cautioned. :confused: Why wasn't he prosecuted? And what's "celebrity" got to do with it - anyone else would have been prosecuted.

I wouldn't have thought that wine and cheese were particularly "low value" items, especially if the cheese was in blocks, which he'd ordered from the deli.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    He's got a Camembert faced cheek!
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him in Sainsbury's once, they better check their CCTV!
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Well, it seems that shoplifters at Tesco will NOT be prosecuted.

They best take that sticker down at my local Tescos.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Only cautioned. :confused: Why wasn't he prosecuted?

I would have thought that a caution would be a normal option for a first offence.
    And what's "celebrity" got to do with it - anyone else would have been prosecuted.

For one thing, non-celebrities don't get their name splashed all over the papers after being cautioned for shoplifting - which is going to do him much more harm than any court-imposed penalty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How on earth Anthony Worral-thompson is still on the TV I've no idea. Have you seen his sausages? On the pack there he is with a sausage on a fork. Cooking instructions say "prick with a fork". Dead right there!!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I just read this on the BBC website following the headline "TV Chef cautioned for shoplifting" and I just knew, knew, knew! it was going to be him. I cannot stand him and hopefully this means he'll never appear on TV again (although he seemed to be doing well at that anyway).
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I would have thought that a caution would be a normal option for a first offence.

For one thing, non-celebrities don't get their name splashed all over the papers after being cautioned for shoplifting - which is going to do him much more harm than any court-imposed penalty.

And most non-celebrities aren't paid millions for being irritating, annoying little bearded s**ts!
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh dear!.... poor Anthony, he had a lovely home, which that article says he has had to leave, he must be in a bad way!.... i feel sorry for him, its devastating to lose everything!...:(