Abot time HD/non HD merged?

David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if this a repeat of an earlier thread, but does anyone think it's about time all the main channels broadcast in HD?
Working on the assumption that viewers without the necessary equipment would be aware that they are not viewing in HD:D

The broadcasters could perhaps entitle each channel with the HD in brackets just to let us know that the channel is being broadcast in HD

BBC1 (HD)
BBC2 (HD) etc........

At the moment we have

ITV1
ITV +1
ITV1 HD

BBC1
BBC HD

SYFY
SYFY +1
SYFY HD

and so on..........

With 3D no doubt coming to TV channels eventually things are just going to get more complicated:mad:

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,238
    Forum Member
    David1964 wrote: »
    S
    With 3D no doubt coming to TV channels
    I could not give a toss about 3D.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this a repeat of an earlier thread, but does anyone think it's about time all the main channels broadcast in HD?
    Working on the assumption that viewers without the necessary equipment would be aware that they are not viewing in HD:D

The broadcasters could perhaps entitle each channel with the HD in brackets just to let us know that the channel is being broadcast in HD

BBC1 (HD)
    BBC2 (HD) etc........

At the moment we have

ITV1
    ITV +1
    ITV1 HD

BBC1
    BBC HD

SYFY
    SYFY +1
    SYFY HD

and so on..........
    There is just the small issue of available bandwidth (especially on DTT), and the cost of any additional bandwidth. Not to mention the fact that, for some channels, a fair proportion of their output is still SD

BTW, what's wrong with the current names:

BBC one HD

ITV1 HD

C4 HD

and so on?
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,238
    Forum Member
    but does anyone think it's about time all the main channels broadcast in HD?

The broadcasters could perhaps entitle each channel with the HD in brackets just to let us know that the channel
    Why does it need changed ?
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all HD channels have subtitles, Not weveryone who has HD has a large enough HD to cope with the extra space.
    Local news / Local Programmes are not catered for with H

HD I would say is still in a minority if you take the UK as a whole, amd many who just have FV can't even get HD anyway, and some don't give two hoots for HD, as for 3D..... 3 hoots!:D
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    HD I would say is still in a minority if you take the UK as a whole

That's a fair point. If you look past all the marketing guff (mainly from Sky), when it comes to which channels the techie people behind them care most about, it's still the SD versions, as whenever there are technical issues present on SD versions, they get dealt with quickly as a high priority, whereas with HD versions, they're often ignored (probably because no-one behind the scenes has noticed) for several minutes if not hours. This shows they know more people are still watching their SD channels (so there would be more complaints about problems on those) than their HD channels.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »

Neither could most people- it's a flash in the pan that will be gone in a few years.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh they'd be aware alright, by virtue of the fact that they're looking at a blue screen.

SD receivers can't decode the HD transmissions as they use a more modern and efficient encoding system.

It would be nice to only have the HD version of channels taking up bandwidth, but doing that without making people replace their equipment is not practical.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member

Me too

I think the the BBC channels plus channels from ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 withdraw their SD channels for good and just broadcast their HD versions instead like this

Freeview Channel 1 BBC One HD
    Freeview Channel 2 BBC 2 HD
    Freeview Channel 3 ITV1 HD
    Freeview Channel 4 Channel 4 HD
    Freeview Channel 5 Channel 5 HD
    Freeview Channel 6 ITV2 HD
    Freeview Channel 9 BBC Three HD

and so on

What do you think?
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Oh they'd be aware alright, by virtue of the fact that they're looking at a blue screen.

SD receivers can't decode the HD transmissions as they use a more modern and efficient encoding system.

It would be nice to only have the HD version of channels taking up bandwidth, but doing that without making people replace their equipment is not practical.

They do not need to replace their equipment only their old SD STBs, that is all, any TV can be converted to HD signals if not actually watching HD

So what are you on about?

Also for TVs without a Scart sockets you just get a Modulator Box and convert the signals that way, the same way you do for Virgin's Tivo boxes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you think?
    Well, I think that the many people who have recently shelled out for an SD Freeview box or TV for DSO would be mightily hacked off if they are told that their new kit is useless without another box, or that their shiny SD PVR can only be used as a doorstop.

Having said that, this has to be a scenario that will happen with time, but not in the short/medium term
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do not need to replace their equipment only their old SD STBs, that is all, any TV can be converted to HD signals if not actually watching HD
    And what about all the people who only have an SD digital TV, and no STB at all? Are you seriously suggesting that they all have to get HD STB's? Many might not even have HDMI sockets.

Non-technical viewers just don't want to be bothered with lots of bits all joined up, they just want a TV.
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your input, but the thread wasn't really about ones opinion of 3D:rolleyes:

As for HD signals not being able to be viewed on SD equipment, that kind of explains why the channels are kept separate for now.

I wasn't really thinking technically, more just the convenience of things.
    Say i miss the start of a programme on ITV1 HD, I can catch up on ITV1 +1, but not in HD ( I know its a tough world ain't it!) :D
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    And what about all the people who only have an SD digital TV, and no STB at all? Are you seriously suggesting that they all have to get HD STB's? Many might not even have HDMI sockets.
    The HD channels would still be viewable via SCART, but they would obviously be downscaled to 576i! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD channels would still be viewable via SCART, but they would obviously be downscaled to 576i! ;)
    And even with the additional expense of a DVB-T2 box, I guess that many without HDMI sockets would be rather annoyed at having to pay for a new (another) box and see no improvement at all in the PQ.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also for TVs without a Scart sockets you just get a Modulator Box and convert the signals that way, the same way you do for Virgin's Tivo boxes

So you think that having to buy a new STB isn't having to "replace their equipment"?

It's a non starter for the time being.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not if the tuner is built into the TV!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

More like what are YOU on about? :D

Who on earth is going to go buy a new HD STB so they can feed an SD signal out of it to watch it on their SD TV? That's wasteful and frankly, pretty stupid (although it might with the right connection give a slightly better SD picture, fewer compression artifacts).

To the O/P, as others have said, there is insufficient bandwidth to do what you suggest, and the HD signals are incompatible with SD TVs and boxes. The Government would first have to create massive extra (and expensive!) bandwidth as if by magic, then organise a prohibitively expensive conversion programme. There ain't gonna be a second "digital HD" switchover for a generation IMO, the original one hasn't even finished yet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not every TV has a SCART let alone HDMI. There's a working 1971 set on here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/derby/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_9372000/9372252.stm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the risk of joining you in having my legs caned by the self-appointed forum Taliban as they chant "This thread isn't about one's opinion of 3D", I have to say I agree with you. 3D is a gimmick. It's always been a gimmick. And its current airing in cinemas is already on the wane.
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should they, it ain't broke, so need to fix it. SD is still the majority channel viewed, and many record SD, and will do until Sky swap out all boxes under 1TB
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DB5 wrote: »
    At the risk of joining you in having my legs caned by the self-appointed forum Taliban as they chant "This thread isn't about one's opinion of 3D", I have to say I agree with you. 3D is a gimmick. It's always been a gimmick. And its current airing in cinemas is already on the wane.

Sadly though, people are going to be reluctant to let it die. So much time and money's been put into it, and some people have a lot invested into it (i.e. James Cameron) that they're not going to throw in the towel easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither does probably 99% of viewers.

perhaps a thread and poll assessing support for 3D on TV would be an interesting thread. Can't stand it myself, never seems as good picture quality as 2D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Sadly though, people are going to be reluctant to let it die. So much time and money's been put into it, and some people have a lot invested into it (i.e. James Cameron) that they're not going to throw in the towel easily.

I have avoided Avatar 3D and all other 3D films successfully. My TV is a CRT. I cannot foresee 3D having anything more than a niche market.