Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    confused .com

thought they were playing actual recordings of totp from this week, watching on 'on demand' and it just appears to be a collection of tracks from this time in 78 and not actual programmes.

yep, its the first one ive watched... so whats going on? or was js the dj for this weeks ep?

why are they playing summer nights? that was out in september, not may...

now 'rat trap'...november...

im guessing the totp on iplayer isnt the one broacast?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    confused .com

thought they were playing actual recordings of totp from this week, watching on 'on demand' and it just appears to be a collection of tracks from this time in 78 and not actual programmes.

yep, its the first one ive watched... so whats going on? or was js the dj for this weeks ep?

Not looked at iPlayer but are you sure it's not the overview of the year compilation which first went out in January?
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Not looked at iPlayer but are you sure it's not the overview of the year compilation which first went out in January?

yeah just come to that conclusion see edited post...
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    confused .com

thought they were playing actual recordings of totp from this week

They are. The first edited 7.30pm showing will be on I-Player but the late full 40-45 minute repeat won't. :mad: None introduced by Saville or DLT though as they're skipped, meaning we're missing a lot of great performances.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    They are. The first edited 7.30pm showing will be on I-Player but the late full 40-45 minute repeat won't. :mad: None introduced by Saville or DLT though as they're skipped, meaning we're missing a lot of great performances.:cry:

Make a complaint about this to the BBC on-line. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I think the full version is now on iPlayer.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I had to look it up. Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjN7KElDz0I

Warning: Jimmy Savile blah blah blah....

Only four of the girls performing. I bet the other two phoned in sick out of embarrassment.

Yes - this is one performance I don't mind missing! :o

For once the BBC have done us a favour by cutting the show! :D
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make a complaint about this to the BBC on-line. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

I did that about 18 months back, and the full version did end up on iplayer.... for a couple of weeks. Then it stopped.
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Who said I had any hair to keep on in the first place? (I do ;))

A Euro fanatic among us. Here's a question for you. The year that so many of us on this TOTP 1978 thread were born (1969) was the year of 4 joint winners. But, if they had rolled back the results in order of who got the most of the top vote and so on, who would infact have won that year in the end?

Get to work on that one Darren! :)

I took a different approach to giftednumber10, and wondered who would have won if the voting was ranked, as it has been since 1975 and also was occasionally in the early 1960s.

As mentioned before, the voting was simply based on the favourites of 10 jurors in each country. This meant that one country could throw all their eggs in one basket and greatly influence the overall result. For example, France gave the Netherlands 6 points, a third of their total. You can see the full scoring grid here:
    http://www.diggiloo.net/?scoreboard.1969

So from that, we can see that of the 16 participating nations:
    - 4 rated UK highest
    - 3 rated France highest
    - 3 rated Spain highest
    - 2 rated Netherlands highest
    - 1 gave no points to any of the four winning countries!
    - 3 countries rated two of these four countries joint highest.

Giving 0.5 points to each country in a tie, and 1 point to the other countries where an outright preference was made, we come up with the following:

UK 4.5 points
    Spain 4 points
    France 3.5 points
    Netherlands 3 points

So this suggests that under the current voting system, the UK may have won! But we will never know.

Anyway, this is hideously off-topic! :o
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Didn't 'Now That's What I call Music' come out towards the end of 1983?

I remember reading in the paragraph that accompanied each song on the album sleeve that the Culture Club song 'Victims' would be number 1 'no doubt by the time you read this', or something along those lines. According to my Guinness Hits book 'Victims' reached its highest position in mid December 1983.

Anyway, that list of 1983 songs brings back great memories of a summer sent in an amusement arcade that opened in our town. Of course, the big event of the summer of 1983 was the release of 'Return of the Jedi', but that's for another thread!!

You are correct. It came out in late November 1983. However I always recall the album as having many hits from the summer of 1983 upon it, and indeed if you check it out, the whole album is essentially a greatest hits of 1983, with some songs going back to January's Phil Collins No1 which infact charted in late '82.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    I took a different approach to giftednumber10, and wondered who would have won if the voting was ranked, as it has been since 1975 and also was occasionally in the early 1960s.

As mentioned before, the voting was simply based on the favourites of 10 jurors in each country. This meant that one country could throw all their eggs in one basket and greatly influence the overall result. For example, France gave the Netherlands 6 points, a third of their total. You can see the full scoring grid here:
    http://www.diggiloo.net/?scoreboard.1969

So from that, we can see that of the 16 participating nations:
    - 4 rated UK highest
    - 3 rated France highest
    - 3 rated Spain highest
    - 2 rated Netherlands highest
    - 1 gave no points to any of the four winning countries!
    - 3 countries rated two of these four countries joint highest.

Giving 0.5 points to each country in a tie, and 1 point to the other countries where an outright preference was made, we come up with the following:

UK 4.5 points
    Spain 4 points
    France 3.5 points
    Netherlands 3 points

So this suggests that under the current voting system, the UK may have won! But we will never know.

Anyway, this is hideously off-topic! :o

Nice try. None the wiser are we! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I've seen Julian Clary a couple of times! - He's my favourite "camp" comedian!! - He pulls some men out of the crowd to marry one of them - as a joke ofcourse~!

If he picks you tell him there's a fan called Ursula who has copies of both his hit singles!! ;)

I could PM you more detail, as it's off topic, but you won't believe it, but he came for me with his taser weapon, stood over me in my seat, changed his mind and zapped a fat bloke behind me who was trying to avoid his eye contact and escape getting chosen. Big mistake. The guy behind me ended up his bride! I had a very narrow and lucky escape. However, my relief turned to slight indignation at my subsequent rejection quite quickly afterwards! :D

I'll happily PM you the longer tale if interested. ;)
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - this is one performance I don't mind missing! :o

For once the BBC have done us a favour by cutting the show! :D

No they havent,because on the same show we are missing elvis costello performing pump it up,the boomtown rats performing like clockwork and the motors performing airport (and we miss em again a couple of shows later when they appear on a DLT hosted show) :D
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didnt the Beeb, bearing in mind they wouldnt be able to show a lot of shows, compile Big Hits 1978 from the Saville/Dlt shows?

From memory, the only affected clip used was Airport. Even the Brotherhood Of Man clip shown was used in the first repeated show of 1978.

(Still think they should have done a Big Hits 1976 & used the clips prior to April including Diddy's tapes!)
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct. It came out in late November 1983. However I always recall the album as having many hits from the summer of 1983 upon it, and indeed if you check it out, the whole album is essentially a greatest hits of 1983, with some songs going back to January's Phil Collins No1 which infact charted in late '82.

Just checked out my CD reissue from a couple of years back, it is indeed a 1983 greatest hits collection, but only three or four of what I would call summer hits of that year. Interestingly a couple of lesser hits that I had forgotten about were included...

Limahl - Only for love
    Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
    Rock Steady Crew - Hey You - The Rock Steady Crew
    Kajagoogoo (minus Limahl) - Big Apple
    Will Powers - Kissing With Confidence
    Simple Minds - Waterfront

I recon that all the above were from the latter part of the year, and were expected to be bigger hits, hence the inclusion. With the exception of Simple Minds and one further hit for Limahl, all the above were never heard of again once 1983 had passed.
  • Groovester01Groovester01 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Just checked out my CD reissue from a couple of years back, it is indeed a 1983 greatest hits collection, but only three or four of what I would call summer hits of that year. Interestingly a couple of lesser hits that I had forgotten about were included...

Limahl - Only for love
    Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
    Rock Steady Crew - Hey You - The Rock Steady Crew
    Kajagoogoo (minus Limahl) - Big Apple
    Will Powers - Kissing With Confidence
    Simple Minds - Waterfront

I recon that all the above were from the latter part of the year, and were expected to be bigger hits, hence the inclusion. With the exception of Simple Minds and one further hit for Limahl, all the above were never heard of again once 1983 had passed.

I do love that Will Powers track! Strange video though (& so of it's time!) I guess it was seen as a bit of a novelty track but I love the production & that swing-along/feel good groove is irresistable as is Carly Simon's fantastic voice on lead! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love that Will Powers track! Strange video though (& so of it's time!) I guess it was seen as a bit of a novelty track but I love the production & that swing-along/feel good groove is irresistable as is Carly Simon's fantastic voice on lead! ;)

One of the writers on 'Kissing With Confidence' is Nile Rodgers (yes, him again! ;)).

My personal preference is 'Adventures In Success' from the same album and featuring the mighty Sly & Robbie ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLhZ2-pCRQ

(There's a dub mix that's even better than that version ... :cool:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Why didnt the Beeb, bearing in mind they wouldnt be able to show a lot of shows, compile Big Hits 1978 from the Saville/Dlt shows?

From memory, the only affected clip used was Airport. Even the Brotherhood Of Man clip shown was used in the first repeated show of 1978.

(Still think they should have done a Big Hits 1976 & used the clips prior to April including Diddy's tapes!)

BIB - as the year progresses, there is an increasingly strong argument for compilations to be made of the missing shows (minus links).

I rather suspect nothing will happen here, however, until a new controller for BBC Four is installed. After which, anything could happen ... :eek:
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose anyone knows which, if any, shows from 1978 not only won't be shown but are also not in circulation?
  • Groovester01Groovester01 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    One of the writers on 'Kissing With Confidence' is Nile Rodgers (yes, him again! ;)).

My personal preference is 'Adventures In Success' from the same album and featuring the mighty Sly & Robbie ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLhZ2-pCRQ

(There's a dub mix that's even better than that version ... :cool:)

Aaaah that's Nile on guitar isn't it? Boy he had a busy year didn't he? 'Adventures In Success' is one hell of a groove & the funkiest think Robert Palmer & Sting have ever put their pen to!
    Forum Member
    I could PM you more detail, as it's off topic, but you won't believe it, but he came for me with his taser weapon, stood over me in my seat, changed his mind and zapped a fat bloke behind me who was trying to avoid his eye contact and escape getting chosen. Big mistake. The guy behind me ended up his bride! I had a very narrow and lucky escape. However, my relief turned to slight indignation at my subsequent rejection quite quickly afterwards! :D

I'll happily PM you the longer tale if interested. ;)

Yes feel free! Like I said - I was a big fan & have 2 of his singles in my collection!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the full version is now on iPlayer.

Are you saying there has been a change of mind, and they are now placing the proper 45 minute length TOTP shows from late evening on the BBC iPlayer, instead of the truncated 7.30pm versions? So they should!

Will Powers, Kissing With Confidence. I never knew that was Carly Simon singing that vocal. I'm sure I have it laying on one of my oldest blank audio cassette tapes from the time it was a hit. Haven't heard it since those days, but playing it in my head right now, clearly sounds like Carly, almost obviously so. I recall it getting a play on Mike Read's Saturday Superstore and him saying to us watching "Here's something a bit different which I think you are really gonna like". I think it is from the female perspective if I recall. A few lines I recall, including the hilarious "Do you have spinach on your teeth!", and "Will our noses bonk in the moonlight!" :p

EDIT; Ursula, will do a bit later. Remind me if I forget! ;)
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »

Good point! :cool:
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    No they havent,because on the same show we are missing elvis costello performing pump it up,the boomtown rats performing like clockwork and the motors performing airport (and we miss em again a couple of shows later when they appear on a DLT hosted show) :D

Whaaat??!! You mean we are gonna miss Airport? :cry: Altogether? :mad:

That was one of my favourite 1978 songs - even as a child! :(

...I'm getting sick of all this editing nonsense now! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whaaat??!! You mean we are gonna miss Airport? :cry: Altogether? :mad:

That was one of my favourite 1978 songs - even as a child! :(

...I'm getting sick of all this editing nonsense now! :rolleyes:

I agree with you, there are too many excuses being made for not showing certain aspects now, and they are wearing thin. Editing TV shows has never been easier and simpler than nowadays and they manage it effortlessly between the early evening showing and the late night one, sometimes virtually butchering the 7.30pm show in the process. Infact it must be harder to do that edit, than to show the full show proper at 7.30pm would you not think?
This discussion has been closed.