Rugby League 2013

Comments

• tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Or Don Valley Stadium?

I remember the days when our Super League 'local derby' was against the Sheffield Eagles.

There's Stadium MK and the Kassam Stadium too. Both have staged rugby games before.

Push it further and we could throw into the mix Ashton Gate/Memorial Ground, Sandy Park or Kingsholm?

Far too big , they want the ground to look full for tv , size wise its right for the semi but its a bit too near to wigan ( wigan council will make money from this leigh wont get a penny )
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    I have just been watching Super league Back Chat where they were once again discussing the new league structure. The main/only argument of the proponents of promotion and relegations best arguments were that it made the game more exciting, but they fail to recognise that the re-introduction of such a system will lead to more clubs going bust.

Super league back chat is one of the best programmes on the tele , always enjoy it

The clubs wlll have to look at the finances more , it will be interesting to see how the money will be divided up between the clubs and if the relegated clubs get parachute payments
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    London Broncos chief executive Gus Mackay says the Rugby Football League must make informed decisions when restructuring Super League.

The RFL has announced the top division will feature 12 teams from 2015.

"There has to be a fair process of how you get to that final 12," Mackay told BBC London 94.9.

"The areas which need to be considered are the finances of the club, the performance on the field, your youth performance and your facilities."

He added: "Those four areas have to be taken into consideration because then it is fair for everyone.

"You could have a situation where if you have injuries, you could finish 13th and then not be in the 12 the following year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/23319198

I don't understand what he is trying to say? The RFL have already stated that the bottom two in next years Super League will be part of a restructured Championship in 2015 and that P&R will be part of the new Two Division setup.

Does he want exemption for London? or maybe the financing of The Championship is the problem? All 14 SL Clubs will know what they have to do to retain their SL Status at the start of the 2914 season, like it or not two divisions and P&R are coming and all to clubs will have to live with it.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    I assume they would be, even if thats the case though just play the Wigan-London game at Huddersfield surely?

Bit unfair on Hull that though. Seems right to have the one Yorkshire team left in it playing their game in Yorkshire.

Do you honestly think the fact that the Wigan game is at Leigh will make a difference ?

Bigger crowd is better for London too as they get 50% of the revenue
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »

I don't understand what he is trying to say? The RFL have already stated that the bottom two in next years Super League will be part of a restructured Championship in 2015 and that P&R will be part of the new Two Division setup.

Does he want exemption for London? or maybe the financing of The Championship is the problem? All 14 SL Clubs will know what they have to do to retain their SL Status at the start of the 2914 season, like it or not two divisions and P&R are coming and all to clubs will have to live with it.

I would have London and Catalan exempt.
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    I would have London and Catalan exempt.
    It has already been stated that there will be no exceptions, London, Catalans and every other team will all play under the same Competition Rules and if they finish in the bottom two they will be in The Championship in 2015. Could you imagine the uproar if clubs like Wakefield, Castleford, Bradford, Hull KR, Salford, Widnes etc. who have fought tooth and nail for their very survival for the past few years, finished above London or Catalans in the table, but were relegated due to favourable treatment to other teams by the RFL.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

I think he's advocating a P&R system along the lines that currently runs in the English RU system.
    Forum Member
    To celebrate 100 days to go to the Rugby League World Cup 2013 all tickets up to and including The Final still available can be bought with a 50% discount by using the Promotion Code 100DAYS.

http://www.rlwc2013.com/
    Forum Member
    It has already been stated that there will be no exceptions, London, Catalans and every other team will all play under the same Competition Rules and if they finish in the bottom two they will be in The Championship in 2015. Could you imagine the uproar if clubs like Wakefield, Castleford, Bradford, Hull KR, Salford, Widnes etc. who have fought tooth and nail for their very survival for the past few years, finished above London or Catalans in the table, but were relegated due to favourable treatment to other teams by the RFL.

Its very common , Huddersfield , London, Wigan , Wakefield and Castleford have had it before , I cant see it this time it will and should be the bottom two teams will go down
    Forum Member
    Great win by Leigh Centurions to win our 4th Northern rail cup final

Crowd of 4,100 very poor , bad move moving it from Blackpool , thought Sheffield would have brought more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonypennys wrote: »
    Great win by Leigh Centurions to win our 4th Northern rail cup final

Crowd of 4,100 very poor , bad move moving it from Blackpool , thought Sheffield would have brought more

I remember in 2006 going to Bloomfield Road on the Sunday to watch the mighty Robins get robbed by Leigh :D and then on the Wednesday travelling back to Blackpool for the darts. Long way from Hull. Especially when you lose. Mind you I did bump into the little one from The Roly Polys :)
    Forum Member
    I remember in 2006 going to Bloomfield Road on the Sunday to watch the mighty Robins get robbed by Leigh :D and then on the Wednesday travelling back to Blackpool for the darts. Long way from Hull. Especially when you lose. Mind you I did bump into the little one from The Roly Polys :)

Yes but since then Hull KR have been one club that have been promoted and held there own without help from the RL , Justin Morgan did a great a job and out of all the clubs in SL i want Hull KR to win the grand final
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but since then Hull KR have been one club that have been promoted and held there own without help from the RL , Justin Morgan did a great a job and out of all the clubs in SL i want Hull KR to win the grand final

Well top 8 this season looks odds on now. Really thought it'd be us and Bradford battling for 8th and 9th
    Forum Member
    Well top 8 this season looks odds on now. Really thought it'd be us and Bradford battling for 8th and 9th

Yes hope so Darren , hope you can cause a few shocks in playoffs and win it
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you've all been watching the Saints - Wigan game. I won't spoil it for those who have it on record or are waiting for the Super League Show but it has been thoroughly entertaining and there's still time left yet.
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great win for St Helens. Wigan don't look the same force without Sam Tomkins.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great win for St Helens. Wigan don't look the same force without Sam Tomkins.

I agree

Also, the commentator said that Saints have been reported for Wellens pouring a bottle of water over the ball before kicking off to make it as greasy as possible for the Wigan returner.

I may be naive, but something like that never crossed my mind:eek:
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AZ fan wrote: »
    I hope you've all been watching the Saints - Wigan game. I won't spoil it for those who have it on record or are waiting for the Super League Show but it has been thoroughly entertaining and there's still time left yet.

Following your (correct) non spoiling:
    Pat Richards' drop goal is just about the best I've ever seen. Only Joe Lydon's at Maine Road comes close.
    Forum Member
    Great to see them mention the Northern rail cup on SL Backchat

Think the idea of having the final as show piece at wembley would be a great idea as the challenge cup wont sell out and its something for the lower teams to go for
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great to see them mention the Northern rail cup on SL Backchat

Think the idea of having the final as show piece at wembley would be a great idea as the challenge cup wont sell out and its something for the lower teams to go for

That is a great idea. Make it a double header. Imagine being a part-time player with one of the lower league clubs. What a dream come true that would be.
  • JonNgogJonNgog Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Monday night was incredible.. best atmosphere at Langtree Park yet.. it actually felt like home. A proper home.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    That is a great idea. Make it a double header. Imagine being a part-time player with one of the lower league clubs. What a dream come true that would be.

Didn't they try something similar some years ago?

I went to a CC and they had a lower final on before, involving Hull KR.
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Didn't they try something similar some years ago?

I went to a CC and they had a lower final on before, involving Hull KR.

Yes they did it was called the Silk Cut plate which was for teams knocked out early in the challenge cup , Hull KR beat Hunslet 60-14 , it was held in 1997 and then dropped after one season
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member

The outrage would occur, but the consequences would be terrible particularly if Catalan went down, that's why promotion and relegation is a bad idea for the sport. It risks long term growth on one year of results.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is embarrassing for London Broncos in the Cup Semi Final

Wigan leading 70-0 with 5 mins to go