Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• EtheleneEthelene Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Gary reminds me of Mavis from Corrie.

Ah! So that's that puzzle solved for me. :D
  • EtheleneEthelene Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    It finally clicked who Tony reminds me of both lookswise and personalitywise...Keith, Melanie's real dad in Early Doors, Craig Cash's excellent but probably little known comedy series. Tick tock. Totally obnoxious the pair of them.

I loved Early Doors and yes, Tony is very like Keith. And his wife is very like Julie from Corrie :D
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also only just caught up on the 3 episodes from this week. Really dislike Tony who is clearly just a game player. Really like the older doctor guy (sorry forgotten his name already!). I also liked the couple in Scotland. Jury's out on the Blackpool duo.

I thought the Scottish place was overpriced, especially given the breakfast situation, but then I also didn't understand the awe on the faces of the visitors. I don't think it's my kind of accommodation but the setting and ethics are me.

I would love to know whether it was a pattern or mould on the mattress at Tony's. I would have thought it would be quite obvious! Did they just end up both insisting they were right? One of them will end up looking really stupid!
  • bookboxerbookboxer Posts: 1,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed that often the sneakiest, meanest, B&B owners manage to engineer a win, but they're the people I'd least want to go and stay with!!

Usually I far prefer the ones who don't win!

It depends on your definition of "winning". These B&B owners are all being presented with an incredible advertising opportunity but many of them seem to blow it by coming across as petty, vindictive and spiteful. I know a lot is down to selective editing but if I was on this show I would smile every time I came close to a camera, overpay all the other B&Bs and generally be polite and pleasant to everybody. I might not get a little framed certificate at the end of the week but I'd do my business a lot of good.
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    After all that chat on various in-a-bed threads, you seem to have hit the nail on the head there JoJo, well, not for absolutely all, but for a good majority.

:D
    Well, I would say that, wouldn't I :D

When they show themselves to be mean spirited and moan about a few dead insects in the middle of beautiful countryside, I just know I'd hate them and their B&B!
    Shrike wrote: »
    Its not what they do. Quite rightly Tony & Jeanette were criticised for serving bubbly and salmon which they don't for normal guests, so for this pair to serve breakfast would be naughty. The breakfast certainly looked generous and I was glad that Stephens looked pretty good once he'd got it plated up:D
    T&J may have had more complaints about cleanliness than we were shown, but as it stands such a low score for one hair and a few flies was OTT - the caravan is in the middle of a field FFS!

T & J don't seem to have addressed that though - if the other B&Bers had been more mean they'd have scored them lower for trying to give a false impression of their service. I'm very tempted to go to their website and tell them so:cool:
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    bookboxer wrote: »
    It depends on your definition of "winning". These B&B owners are all being presented with an incredible advertising opportunity but many of them seem to blow it by coming across as petty, vindictive and spiteful. I know a lot is down to selective editing but if I was on this show I would smile every time I came close to a camera, overpay all the other B&Bs and generally be polite and pleasant to everybody. I might not get a little framed certificate at the end of the week but I'd do my business a lot of good.

Yes that's exactly what I mean - 'winning' in the form of gaining more business from showing how lovely you are is way better in the longer term, but some of the participants just want the recognition, and the tacky plaque!!

I wish they'd do follow ups on some of the B&Bers, I'd be interested to see how their businesses were doing a year on.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if I was on this show I would smile every time I came close to a camera, overpay all the other B&Bs and generally be polite and pleasant to everybody. I might not get a little framed certificate at the end of the week but I'd do my business a lot of good.

One pair of B&B'ers tried that a couple of weeks ago, and we all saw straight through their cunning plan. They should have been a tad more subtle! After the final reckoning, the woman even said something along the lines of "we didn't win the plaque but we won people's hearts".
    Puuuuuuke!
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    fiveinabed wrote: »
    One pair of B&B'ers tried that a couple of weeks ago, and we all saw straight through their cunning plan. They should have been a tad more subtle!

Morning 4iaB fans :)

I think the ones who get the most out of their appearances are good fun, pleasant and fair.
    No one wants them to be sickly sweet or tell blatant lies, but there are ways of conducting yourself and you'd like to think that what you see is what you get.
  • ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I was thinking Eve Pollard but she does look like Carole Malone!

Layla from last week, reminded me of Anna Ryder-Richardson.

Completely agree on the Anna Ryder-Richardson, EW. About 75% of the time (how did I work that out?) that I look at Jeanette, I think of Miranda in a wig and playing that type of character!
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did like the roulottes, and the way they were decorated and fitted out, but £150 is pretty expensive, and it did strike me that it might be a tad miserable in the rain when you couldn't sit outside. I think I might brood a bit sadly on being stuck in a wooden hut in the middle of a wet field.

It made me want to explore the countryside round there - I wish we saw more of the surroundings.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh the hypocrisy! Tony triumphant at having found a hair on the shower door, but did you see his filthy fingernails?
    Unless he'd just been planting up Petunias, there is no excuse for black nails and ragged cuticles. Dirty Devil!

I wonder how they keep the Roulottes aired when empty as they had wood burning stoves.

I can see the method in £150 pn. Why wear yourself out for £75 when you can cater for half the number of visitors and still make the same? In fact profits would be higher as less outgoings.
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member

So agree with you. Anyone with a titter of wit would realise that the way to win this (as opposed to winning a tacky plaque) is to be pleasant and fair and most importantly show a sense of humour.If I'm choosing a B&B to stay in I can forgive a little dust if the hosts are genuine people.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very keen on clean but who in their right mind runs a finger around the back of a toilet ? That surely is taking nit picking to a new level !
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I am very keen on clean but who in their right mind runs a finger around the back of a toilet ? That surely is taking nit picking to a new level !

I can only imagine the production team egg them on - maybe by saying "they'll be doing it to you - get your dig in first!"
    It has been said by previous contestants that they get to spend very little time with the other contestants, so they probably get a bit "Stockholm syndrome" and start to do the production teams bidding - this might explain why the pickiness increases over the filming period even for the team that host first.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The production team must be pretty nifty at winding people up.

Nice though Stephen is, he still felt it necessary to say "tough" upon reading remarks about Garry finding the bedroom too small and hitting his head on the bedstead. It really can't be too hard to say "well there's nothing I can do about the size of the room" and "I'm sorry that he hit his head".
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    The production team must be pretty nifty at winding people up.

Nice though Stephen is, he still felt it necessary to say "tough" upon reading remarks about Garry finding the bedroom too small and hitting his head on the bedstead. It really can't be too hard to say "well there's nothing I can do about the size of the room" and "I'm sorry that he hit his head".

I think by that point poor man was wondering what else they would they find fault with !
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,581
    Forum Member
    Evenin' all, ready with my cuppa for tonight's fun & games. :)
    Forum Member
    Evening Everyone

A reminder that tonight we're viewing
    http://www.elginhotel.com/ back in Blackpool again.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Evening Everyone

A reminder that tonight we're viewing
    http://www.elginhotel.com/ back in Blackpool again.

The small homely places are often the nicest.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This place has a Greek theme for some weird reason.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This place has a Greek theme for some weird reason.

Blackpool is regarded by some as the Grease of the North.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    Blackpool is regarded by some as the Grease of the North.

lol :D
    Forum Member
    Someone's on fine form tonight :D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Gary is so camp :D
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I wonder what Tony is going to moan about tonight?
This discussion has been closed.