Comments

• CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Cadiva, was it this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl77RR1khqg
    (hope the link works)

Ahh you star, yes it was, I loved that routine so much although for some reason, I thought it was a Pro dance with the clebs rather than the group dance :D
    fatskia wrote: »

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only group pro dance I've enjoyed this year is the Ballroom Blitz one. The pros dancing in the guest spot are great most of the time.

My favourites are

Rebel Yell (think Matt Cutler was the choreographer)
    The wonderful VW in Blackpool with the huge chandeliers and big ball gowns
    Flavia & Vincent and Erin & Anton dancing a comedy routine to Let's Face The Music And Dance

Wonderful, just wonderful.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind the Ballroom Blizzard Quickstep at Blackpool, or the samba (at the same venue). Generally though this year they have felt more SYTYCD than Strictly.
  • katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only group pro dance I've enjoyed this year is the Ballroom Blitz one. The pros dancing in the guest spot are great most of the time.

My favourites are

Rebel Yell (think Matt Cutler was the choreographer)
    The wonderful VW in Blackpool with the huge chandeliers and big ball gowns
    Flavia & Vincent and Erin & Anton dancing a comedy routine to Let's Face The Music And Dance

Wonderful, just wonderful.
    I think Ian choreographed the VW in Blackpool.

For me the problem is so many of the pros who regularly choreographed the pro numbers have now gone. The BBC should approach some of them (I'm thinking Matt, Ian, Vincent and Flavia) and ask them to choreograph the pro numbers. And possibly help out choreographing some of the celeb routines as well.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katie_p wrote: »

For me the problem is so many of the pros who regularly choreographed the pro numbers have now gone. The BBC should approach some of them (I'm thinking Matt, Ian, Vincent and Flavia) and ask them to choreograph the pro numbers. And possibly help out choreographing some of the celeb routines as well.

I think the show is going backwards in terms of quality and it would be better if they just re-hired them all, but that would probably require new producers. Unfortunately Strictly has no real competition for viewing figures at the moment so the stuff we are getting now is still better than what is on ITV.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is time to replace Jason Gilkison yes he is great dancer and choreographer and I love Burn The Floor but think his routines are now predictable and the professionals are all coming from the show whilst some have the right background for SCD (Alijaz and Kevin) and all are good dancers some do not have the right ballroom background
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    Anyone else been disappointed by the pro dances this series?
    I don't think i've seen one yet that i want to see again :cry:

I thought this Saturdays sailor pro dance was fabulous!.. i have been back and watched it about three times!.... :)

In fact i loved the whole musical theme this week!, definately the best week so far for me!....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I thought this Saturdays sailor pro dance was fabulous!.. i have been back and watched it about three times!.... :)

In fact i loved the whole musical theme this week!, definately the best week so far for me!....

Agreed!

I thought it was the best show of the series and the opening Pro dance on Saturday was a good one. Even Brucie chipped in with his best performance of the series.

Judges not so much.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie_p wrote: »

Not surprised to hear it was Ian. I'm pretty sure Matt Cutler choreographed a pro routine in the series after he left or maybe the series after that, so the precedent is there for a pro to return and do some choreography.

Karen Hardy always choreographed great pro routines too - one of her Pasos sticks in my mind.

I remember the Remembrance Day group routine because I think that might have been when Gethin burnt a hole in the knees of his trousers doing the knee slide!

There was a great armed forces Jive routine on the show danced by the pros just after the fabulous pro tour, and that was based on the one we saw on the tour.

The problem is that originally the pro routine every week was a demo of one of the two or three dances to be danced by the celebs the following week. Now the producers have scrapped that approach and couples can be dancing one of 14 different dances in any one week (i think 9 different dances is the most we've seen in one week this year). So what we get instead most of the time is a dance routine that would look at home on the Royal Variety Show or on a cruise ship.
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've been pretty dire in the main. I liked the opening one they did on the first show to "I'm so excited" and that's about it this series. I thought they couldn't go wrong with "Fame" but it was woeful. I thought Chris Parker did a better effort with it in his showdance!!
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @JManrara
    And here we are again. Pro-rehearsals today again! So nice to see @shemjacobs & @SharnaBurgess! Love a good old reunion!

Wonder if this is for choreography or if they are performing. Sharna is a pro-dancer on DwtS and an official goddess :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    @JManrara
    And here we are again. Pro-rehearsals today again! So nice to see @shemjacobs & @SharnaBurgess! Love a good old reunion!

Wonder if this is for choreography or if they are performing. Sharna is a pro-dancer on DwtS and an official goddess :D

Shem is dancing with Kristina
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do the SCD pros not actually get to choreograph pro numbers at all any more? Presumably that's not to do with their lack of ability to do so, so it must be a conscious decision by the producers to give the public more of the BTF-type stuff that's so popular on the stage. They really don't get how important the pros are to the hard core of fans, do they? :s

I do wonder whether we'd see a totally different type of routine emerging if the pros were allowed to get involved with the choreography now. Although all the crotch-flashing and booty-shaking does remind me a little bit of Kristina's finest moments on occasion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ballroom Blitz on strictly so similar to Ballroom Blitz on Burn The Floor you can tell same person did choreography for both may be time to replace Jason for next year
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised to hear it was Ian. I'm pretty sure Matt Cutler choreographed a pro routine in the series after he left or maybe the series after that, so the precedent is there for a pro to return and do some choreography.

Karen Hardy always choreographed great pro routines too - one of her Pasos sticks in my mind.

I remember the Remembrance Day group routine because I think that might have been when Gethin burnt a hole in the knees of his trousers doing the knee slide!

There was a great armed forces Jive routine on the show danced by the pros just after the fabulous pro tour, and that was based on the one we saw on the tour.

The problem is that originally the pro routine every week was a demo of one of the two or three dances to be danced by the celebs the following week. Now the producers have scrapped that approach and couples can be dancing one of 14 different dances in any one week (i think 9 different dances is the most we've seen in one week this year). So what we get instead most of the time is a dance routine that would look at home on the Royal Variety Show or on a cruise ship.

In total agreement.

I don't see why each week can't 'showcase' a particular dance though, even if not all the competitors are doing it.

There's no real reason for the pro dances being such utter, boring, samey, cruise ship PANTS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd add the pro dance at the start of the week 11 results show to the short list of good pro dances this series.