Options

ITV proving themselves worthless again

CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC1 - Cut off their showing of Question Time for coverage about Mandela's death.

ITV - Stick with airing a repeat of The Jonathan Ross Show.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    BBC1 - Cut off their showing of Question Time for coverage about Mandela's death.

They did an hour and 10 mins of news how much do you want?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Not totally true. ITV spent most of the ten o'clock news hour focussing on it.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rubbish,News at ten was extended to 11.10, the coverage was brilliant, did you watch?
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV were more rational. BBC have had nothing but blanket Mandela coverage for hours on BBC1, 2 and their news channel and none of it very good.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they're showing a repeat of a meaningless chat show, BBC are cutting off an important current affairs and issues programme.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they're showing a repeat of a meaningless chat show, BBC are cutting off an important current affairs and issues programme.

ITV gave full coverage to the story,it is now on three BBC channels what would the point be to have it on 4 major channels at once.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Isn't QT on BBC2 now?
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the issue to highlight here is that the BBC is running a 24 hour news channel and should be used to filling many hours of airtime with short notice.

Whereas ITV were preparing a 25 minute News at Ten bulletin and with only 10-15 minutes notice turned around a 1hr 10 minute news bulletin.

I think that's rather impressive and goes to show how much is already 'on the shelf' for events liek this but how resourceful ITV news was when they need to be,
  • Options
    red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djleekee wrote: »
    I think the issue to highlight here is that the BBC is running a 24 hour news channel and should be used to filling many hours of airtime with short notice.

Whereas ITV were preparing a 25 minute News at Ten bulletin and with only 10-15 minutes notice turned around a 1hr 10 minute news bulletin.

I think that's rather impressive and goes to show how much is already 'on the shelf' for events liek this but how resourceful ITV news was when they need to be,

Hear, hear.
  • Options
    noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    djleekee wrote: »

I'm pretty sure every broadcaster worldwide will have had at least an hour and 10 minutes worth of stuff ready on the Mandela shelf, as well as a list of talking heads ready to refer to to fill further. Hardly worthy of singling them out for that.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Yeh, good coverage of the story tonight. After an hour focussing on the story what more is there to be said at this time ? It's a network bulletin not a rolling news channel.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't all THAT important to be honest, not like it was the Queen. Lets be realistic.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC1 and BBC2 were covering the same story as was BBC News.
    I think the BBC has seriously overdone the coverage with this hardly unexpected news, perhaps they just wanted to show the tributes that have been sat on the shelf for several years.:s
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    BBC1 and BBC2 were covering the same story as was BBC News.
    I think the BBC has seriously overdone the coverage with this hardly unexpected news, perhaps they just wanted to show the tributes that have been sat on the shelf for several years.:s

I do agree that the BBC have probably gone overboard with their coverage, however ITV i feel didn't go far enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if Channel 4 did a special broadcast or news bulletin tonight?
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A much more measured and dignified response to the death of a greatly respected leader who died in ill health at 95. The BBC response seems hysterical...
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    He wasn't all THAT important to be honest, not like it was the Queen. Lets be realistic.

He was very important if you are in the generation that was around whilst he was still in Robin Island and after his release. The BBC have just gone over the top - I'd doubt The Queen would get this much coverage, simulcast on two channels!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News is currently showing a few people jigging about in the street in Soweto and describing them as "remarkable scenes". Get a sense of perspective and sensible comment please.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Was the BBC coverage on both BBC 1 & BBC 2 at the same time?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Was the BBC coverage on both BBC 1 & BBC 2 at the same time?
    It appears to be. Rather makes a mockery of having a dedicated BBC 24 hour news channel when they continue to multicast the same broadcast across 2 networks at the same time for many hours on end like this.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    It appears to be. Rather makes a mockery of having a dedicated BBC 24 hour news channel when they continue to multicast the same broadcast across 2 networks at the same time for many hours on end like this.

If they did, i hope they get shitcanned for it.
    I can understand news of this magnitude being simulcast from BBC News 24 on BBC One OR BBC Two but on both is just downright braindead.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    If they did, i hope they get shitcanned for it.
    I can understand news of this magnitude being simulcast from BBC News 24 on BBC One OR BBC Two but on both is just downright braindead.

I agree. They all obviously had a contingency plan for what to do when Mandela's death was announced and immediately put that into action. But nobody seems to have thought about what to do if at the same time there was another developing important news event - and how best to balance the two lots of coverage then.

"Oh we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it" seems to have been written into the BBC (and probably Sky) "contingency" plan. Problem is, the bridge was flooded and shut, due to an ongoing North Sea storm surge... and they missed the boat.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It's massive news about a massive historical figure.

It leads the news all over the world too.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry::cry::cry:
    Keviness wrote: »
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelfirl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure every broadcaster worldwide will have had at least an hour and 10 minutes worth of stuff ready on the Mandela shelf, as well as a list of talking heads ready to refer to to fill further. Hardly worthy of singling them out for that.

Well if ITV did just fill with loads of pre-made 'off the shelf' items Id agree with you but I feel they made the most of resources by getting in reaction from around the Uk including The PM and Prince William (quick turnaround to get a camera to each location) and then did go live rather swiftly to Soweto and had numerous guests in the studio and on the phone.

I still go back to my original comment that for a non 24 hour news channel that ITV's coverage still impressed me but that's not to take anything away from the BBC or Sky coverage (which I'd expect to be of a very high standard and thorough standard)