Options

Amazon takes on Netflix with rebrand of LoveFilm video-on-demand service

Comments

• Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    This thread is taking a rather predictable turn. The British always complain at first, then skulk off, and reluctantly accept things and move on. It kind of saddens me really. Whilst my Lovefilm DVD & blu ray rentals are not directly affected, Amazon have totally destroyed what was, until last week, an excellent website. On my phone, the rental list is too plain, and changing the priority of the discs is a nightmare. Downloading the offical Android app helps things somewhat, but it's terribly slow. Granted, streaming is the future, but the whole changover is badly structured, integrating it into their shopping website which, at least, has always been reliable in my experience.

Still, better not complain, better have my two penneth and crawl back under my rock like a good little Englishman...:D

The excellent Lovefilm website that everyone complained about consistently?

As I keep saying the website really hasn't changed that much! there's a few nice features missing such as the complete previous rental list, the split coming soon list, the fact the rental lists don't display on a single page when you have over a certain number of titles, the ordering of the rental list and the fact when viewing the titles it seems to default to thumbnail mode everytime but with that you get a more powerful filtering of the search and a system for streaming that handles multiple seasons better (oh and 3D BluRays aren't now listed as a seperate entity any more it seems).

Its worth sending a support email about the little niggles but this whole 'they have completely ruined a excellent site' is really far of the mark
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just my opinion but for me the app seems much better on the ps3 than the old lovefilm app.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Just my opinion but for me the app seems much better on the ps3 than the old lovefilm app.
    I'm using it on the PS4 and I also like it.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Just tried it again on my laptop (Server Error) and Xbox One ('watch for £0.00 - oh, we won't let you!'). No luck.
    Works ok for me on PC as well as Kindle - sorry! Sounds as though you need to contact Amazon.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    The excellent Lovefilm website that everyone complained about consistently?

As I keep saying the website really hasn't changed that much! there's a few nice features missing such as the complete previous rental list, the split coming soon list, the fact the rental lists don't display on a single page when you have over a certain number of titles, the ordering of the rental list and the fact when viewing the titles it seems to default to thumbnail mode everytime but with that you get a more powerful filtering of the search and a system for streaming that handles multiple seasons better (oh and 3D BluRays aren't now listed as a seperate entity any more it seems).

Its worth sending a support email about the little niggles but this whole 'they have completely ruined a excellent site' is really far of the mark

Not at all, my friend. You're easily pleased, aren't you? I get your points on some of the usability being improved, but Lovefilm as a brand was always a strong one, making it into nothing more than a small facet of Amazon's website is sad to see, especially after all the publicity they've had over the years. Admittedly, I have a bit of an emotional attachment to Lovefilm after having been with them for nearly six years and rented more than 550 films and a few games-and yes, a few streamed films-from them. It was like an old friend that always delivered the goods. Now it feels like someone pretending to be them. Way it is, I guess. Way it is.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    Works ok for me on PC as well as Kindle - sorry! Sounds as though you need to contact Amazon.

I have. They said it was my laptop, my Windows 7 and or my Xbox at fault.

Its funny how its working now, without me doing a damn thing to fix it apart from complaining to Amazon. At least they're listening, I'll give them that.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone seeing any changes to the previously rented section (by post films)?

at the top in now says previously rented (200), unfortunately when I click on it I only see 16 and not 200

Is it working for anyone else and now showing more than the original 60
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Anyone seeing any changes to the previously rented section (by post films)?

at the top in now says previously rented (200), unfortunately when I click on it I only see 16 and not 200

Is it working for anyone else and now showing more than the original 60

Just checked - same as you, says 200 - only shows 16! >:( Dear oh dear - Amazon!

Reserved list is now completely in alphabetical order - better than what it was a few days ago, but maybe not as good as before with Lovefilm - those with release dates in alphabetical order first, then the rest in alphabetical order. :(
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »

Same here. I've also used the website on my PC and find the new one much better now I've adjusted to it.
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should of just left it the way it was
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    Not at all, my friend. You're easily pleased, aren't you? I get your points on some of the usability being improved, but Lovefilm as a brand was always a strong one, making it into nothing more than a small facet of Amazon's website is sad to see, especially after all the publicity they've had over the years. Admittedly, I have a bit of an emotional attachment to Lovefilm after having been with them for nearly six years and rented more than 550 films and a few games-and yes, a few streamed films-from them. It was like an old friend that always delivered the goods. Now it feels like someone pretending to be them. Way it is, I guess. Way it is.

Its nothing to do with being easily pleased. I'm just not emotionally attached to an old layout that was never exactly snappy or well designed. Your whole post above really seemed to focus on being attached not to the layout and functionality but the branding. It should be functionality above all that's important and in the most part the site operates exactly as it did under the Lovefilm branding with a few nice improvements. There's some nice little features that have gone missing and I made sure I emailed them to let them know that I felt the key features were missing but the new site is hardly the step back some people are making out.

If they get some of the changes pushed live that they seem to working on to restore a few of the nice aspects we will end up with a site that's actually better than what we had with Lovefilm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Just checked - same as you, says 200 - only shows 16! >:( Dear oh dear - Amazon!

Reserved list is now completely in alphabetical order - better than what it was a few days ago, but maybe not as good as before with Lovefilm - those with release dates in alphabetical order first, then the rest in alphabetical order. :(

Guessing its just a work in progress and it will show the rest at some point (I wonder actually if perhaps the 200 is a static number at the moment and they are maybe in the process of importing the rest of the history)

On the order hopefully they fix it so while the rental list itself is alphabetical as that's best the upcoming list goes to sorted by release date
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing its just a work in progress and it will show the rest at some point (I wonder actually if perhaps the 200 is a static number at the moment and they are maybe in the process of importing the rest of the history)

On the order hopefully they fix it so while the rental list itself is alphabetical as that's best the upcoming list goes to sorted by release date

Re that 200 figure - yes, that thought occured to me too, that maybe the rest still has to be imported. I guess we'll find out!:)
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nothing to do with being easily pleased. I'm just not emotionally attached to an old layout that was never exactly snappy or well designed. Your whole post above really seemed to focus on being attached not to the layout and functionality but the branding. It should be functionality above all that's important and in the most part the site operates exactly as it did under the Lovefilm branding with a few nice improvements. There's some nice little features that have gone missing and I made sure I emailed them to let them know that I felt the key features were missing but the new site is hardly the step back some people are making out.

If they get some of the changes pushed live that they seem to working on to restore a few of the nice aspects we will end up with a site that's actually better than what we had with Lovefilm

And what's wrong with good branding? Amazon themselves are a very strong online brand, the world's largest online retailer no less, but they have upset a lot of the hardcore disc renters like me with messing with the website's dynamics. Amazon's overall layout has always been rather haphazard, with reviews for products mixed in with the wrong models, which is very misleading, along with multiple sellers selling the same product at various different prices. Improved funtionality is all very well, but a website which is clear and precise is a part of the experience. Nevertheless, I shall stay loyal to them for the forseeable future.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first signed up for online dvd rentals years and years ago the service was provided through Amazon. I remember being quite upset when Amazon transferred the dvd rentals to Lovefilm as I'd never heard of them. It worked out ok though. It's gone full circle now and we're back to Amazon again.
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Ive tried to sign into my Amazon Instant Video account this morning on my PS3 and been getting the following message:

Were unable to complete your request. Please try again in a few minutes or contact Amazon Customer Service at: www.amazon.co.uk/videohelp

Anyone else getting the same?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All my lists in lovefilm by post have mixed up into other list example I have me list dad list mum list sister list brother list etc can amazon roll back my list to say 27 February like if you have a problem with your computer you can roll it back to a certain date
    Because I was adding a few new films to my list then I went back into my rental list to check they were all there and I noticed it has all mixed up
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've decided to cancel for now i'll probably re-subscribe later on in the year. I found it very difficult to cancel went through a few loops to get to the correct page but the good news is you can cancel online and like Netflix you continue to be able to view until your payment period expires.
  • Options
    adam1968ukadam1968uk Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    I watched the first 2 episodes of the first series of sherlock last week, went to watch the next episode and it's now £2.99. Last week only the 3rd series was chargeable. It only came on last week, Blimey. If this is the way it's going, I think I'll cancel.
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Ive tried to sign into my Amazon Instant Video account this morning on my PS3 and been getting the following message:

Were unable to complete your request. Please try again in a few minutes or contact Amazon Customer Service at: www.amazon.co.uk/videohelp

Thanks

Baz

Yeah, getting the same message on the PS3 and my Samsung TV
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to sound like a shill here but I have been seriously impressed with Cinema Paradiso so far. Better selection than LF, quick turnaround, option for payment breaks and they pay their taxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    Yeah, getting the same message on the PS3 and my Samsung TV

Hi

Thx, obviously must be an Amazon issue. Ive only notched it the last few days.

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Hi

Thanks

Baz

I am getting this message on my Samsung tv. But when I select ok it then loads up anyway. Still needs sorting out though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I am getting this message on my Samsung tv. But when I select ok it then loads up anyway. Still needs sorting out though.

Hi

I lodged the issue with Amazon yesterday, they said that theyve not had anyone else report the issue and r unaware of it. The more pppl report it the better lol.

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adam1968uk wrote: »
    I watched the first 2 episodes of the first series of sherlock last week, went to watch the next episode and it's now £2.99. Last week only the 3rd series was chargeable. It only came on last week, Blimey. If this is the way it's going, I think I'll cancel.

Sherlocks been on Lovefilm for well over a year so its hardly only came on last week.