Ramadan and Children

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
why are the powers that be, and the NSPCC as well, not critical of the idea of forcing children to go without food for Ramadan?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Because children are not meant to fast? and usually they don't fast. So basically there's no real problem here.
  • takeruk2001takeruk2001 Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    why are the powers that be, and the NSPCC as well, not critical of the idea of forcing children to go without food for Ramadan?

Why don't you do some light reading about Ramadan before you jump to conclusions?

Children are not required to fast, and if they wish to on their own accord that's completely fine BUT as I reiterate it is not a requirement for them.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see. I just thought children fasted just the same, as i am sure i have seen references to this. (ie stories about school kids, exams and suchlike) Hadnt occurred to me that it might be optional.

Thanks for clarifying

Edit. So after puberty, it is not optional. So the original point was valid, was it not?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick, mentally disabled, pregnant women and very old/frail folk are exempt too.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn. Facts, logic and reason ruin all the fun again.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see. I just thought children fasted just the same, as i am sure i have seen references to this. (ie stories about school kids, exams and suchlike) Hadnt occurred to me that it might be optional.

Thanks for clarifying

Edit. So after puberty, it is not optional. So the original point was valid, was it not?

No its not valid IMO as it is part of a religious tradition that happens once a year...not abuse...not life threatening...its not as if they cant eat at all in a 24 hour period.......call the NSPCC? What planet you on? Its actually quite insulting of you to suggest millions of parents are abusing their kids and need the authorities brought in. Tut

:D
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member

Thanks for clarifying

It's also from memory optional for a lot of other groups, basically Ramadan is meant to be for people who are in reasonable health, of an age when it's not going to be a problem, and not if it will put you at undue risk (I suspect airline pilots won't be fasting the whole time it's daylight, especially if they're moving from one country to another, they'll probably pick a time frame for one country and stick to it).

I think for example if you're pregnant you don't do it (or you do it to a lesser degree), same if you've got a medical condition that could be made worse by it (so if you're diabetic, or probably just if you are on medication that requires you to take it on a regular basis with food).

Even where you are in the world has an affect, as IIRC if you're somewhere that is almost always light during ramadan (such as some regions near the pole), you instead do it to the hours of another country nearby.

It's worth remembering that if you eat sensibly and know your food you can manage to get a lot of food in that will keep you running for most of a day in a short space of time, by eating a mix of fast energy foods to start with, then slow release foods (and humans traditionally normally had a daily fast of 6-12 hours anyway, so going to 12-18 isn't too far).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Epic band wagon failure!

Another person knocking religion without knowing what they are knocking sigh!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not unless you object to Catholic kids and Jewish kids observing fasting days for religious reasons as well.

Two childhood friends weren't allowed to eat anything on a Thursday or Friday for religious reasons. One was Jewish and the other was Catholic, but I can't remember which day of those two days was theirs, though.

I'm pretty sure it was Thursday for the Catholic friend because she bitched about having to eat fish every Friday. Then again, that might be the Jewish friend talking. I truly can't remember. T_T
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Not unless you object to Catholic kids and Jewish kids observing fasting days for religious reasons as well.

Two childhood friends weren't allowed to eat anything on a Thursday or Friday for religious reasons. One was Jewish and the other was Catholic, but I can't remember which day of those two days was theirs, though.

I'm pretty sure it was Thursday for the Catholic friend because she bitched about having to eat fish every Friday. Then again, that might be the Jewish friend talking. I truly can't remember. T_T

Eh? I am reasonably sure there is no fasting involved in christianity or judaiism.

Normally, the NSPCC are up in arms if you deprive kids of a bottle of water nowadays. I am surprised there is no objection to a complete fast is all.

By the way - for clarification i have absolutely no problem with the idea of Ramadan and fasting. I just expected that some would.
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick, mentally disabled, pregnant women and very old/frail folk are exempt too.

BIB. Anyone who deprives themselves of food and water from sunrise to sunset without a medical reason isn't sane to me.
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem. People get up in arms about something without actually doing any research. They 'think' it therefore it must be true. Try google before getting your pitchfork out.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    BIB. Anyone who deprives themselves of food and water from sunrise to sunset without a medical reason isn't sane to me.

The people I meant are sane, just handicapped. I know plenty of sane Muslims.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    cynet wrote: »
    Epic band wagon failure!

Another person knocking religion without knowing what they are knocking sigh!

LOL :D
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »

There is no medical reason to do this in any case, its religious, and harmless in the big scheme of things, catholics and other christians fast as well. Are they all insane too? How about people who stuff their gobs 24/7? Are they sane?
    Yeah obese people are more healthy than people who fast for a few days and eat less food than normal.

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? I am reasonably sure there is no fasting involved in christianity or judaiism.

Normally, the NSPCC are up in arms if you deprive kids of a bottle of water nowadays. I am surprised there is no objection to a complete fast is all.

By the way - for clarification i have absolutely no problem with the idea of Ramadan and fasting. I just expected that some would.

Wrong again, Roman Catholics are required to abstain from meat on ALL Fridays of the year unless a major feast known as a "Solemnity" Major feasts would include

The feast of St Peter and St Paul.
    The solemnity of Mary Mother of God.
    The solemnity of the most sacred heart of Jesus.
    St Joseph`s day.
    Christmas day.
    solemnity of the Epiphany
    The Friday during the Octave of Easter.
    The solemnity of the Annunciation.
    The Immaculate conception.

Also within the Roman Catholic faith during the season of lent Catholics are required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday eating only one full meatless meal on those days, they are also encouraged to do extra fasts during this season of lent though the extra ones are optional but Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are not optional neither is giving up meat on all Fridays of the year.

Ex Roman Catholic.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    Wrong again, Roman Catholics are required to abstain from meat on ALL Fridays of the year unless a major feast known as a "Solemnity" Major feasts would include

The feast of St Peter and St Paul.
    The solemnity of Mary Mother of God.
    The solemnity of the most sacred heart of Jesus.
    St Joseph`s day.
    Christmas day.
    solemnity of the Epiphany
    The Friday during the Octave of Easter.
    The solemnity of the Annunciation.
    The Immaculate conception.

Also within the Roman Catholic faith during the season of lent Catholics are required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday eating only one full meatless meal on those days, they are also encouraged to do extra fasts during this season of lent though the extra ones are optional but Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are not optional neither is giving up meat on all Fridays of the year.

Ex Roman Catholic.

and that's why religion is not for me too many rules controlling your life.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

<snipped for space>

Ex Roman Catholic.

My recollections are obviously confused. Thanks for the clarification. Edited: Is there any particularly reason why she had to eat fish every Friday?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    religious EDUCATION
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breastfeeding mothers are not required to observe Ramadan. Also menstruating women are exempt so I believe. I used to work with several Muslims and I know my friend was embarrassed at having to disclose she had her period when a man questioned why she wasn't fasting.

I found out yesterday wearing lipstick isn't allowed, nothing must touch the lips.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

As my Dad used to say, "It's not often you are right but you are wrong again".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    and that's why religion is not for me too many rules controlling your life.

Exactly, not to mention its patriarchal structures and religious dogmas and its prejudice against certain sections of society all in the name of myths created centuries ago with no scientific proof or backing.

Whilst I respect peoples right to be religious and protections against discrimination I do not support religion or its perceived right to interfere with modern secular life.

Which is why I left the bloody thing a decade ago.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do people get to jump to conclusions with so little knowledge?
    And then go public with their ignorance and prejudice.:o
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, not to mention its patriarchal structures and religious dogmas and its prejudice against certain sections of society all in the name of myths created centuries ago with no scientific proof or backing.

Whilst I respect peoples right to be religious and protections against discrimination I do not support religion or its perceived right to interfere with modern secular life.

Which is why I left the bloody thing a decade ago.

i have never believed in my life and never will.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Not often you see a thread starter bomb so badly :D