Golf 2014

Comments

• DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three majors by 25 is excellent be interesting to see where his career goes next.

I suppose the masters to say he has won them all.

He probably should win more than he does he tends to be a very streaky players where he has hot periods, then goes quiet for long periods
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Three majors by 25 is excellent be interesting to see where his career goes next.

I suppose the masters to say he has won them all.

He probably should win more than he does he tends to be a very streaky players where he has hot periods, then goes quiet for long periods

He certainly should. Only his 2nd win on European soil I think.

David Howell done well to be top Englishman, I like to see him doing well.

No surprise that Stephen Gallagher was top Scot, he seems to be earning decent money and points on a weekly basis nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    St. Andrews again already next year, I always forget they get it every five years

Probably the worst open course on the rota, a dreadful course for spectating
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    USPGA odds:

Rory McIlroy 7/1
    Tiger Woods 11/1
    Adam Scott 15/1
    Justin Rose 20/1
    Henrik Stenson 25/1
    Martin Kaymer 25/1 :eek::

Not surprisingly he's the outright favourite for the USPGA, I'm surprised he's not far shorter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    USPGA odds:

Rory McIlroy 7/1
    Tiger Woods 11/1
    Adam Scott 15/1
    Justin Rose 20/1
    Henrik Stenson 25/1
    Martin Kaymer 25/1 :eek::

Not surprisingly he's the outright favourite for the USPGA, I'm surprised he's not far shorter.

Thinks woods contending in majors on a regular basis is done, uspga is Valhalla who last won there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

Your still not convinced he'll surpass Woods or Nicklaus? When you see his Golf blowing everyone away, you sometimes wonder how he can't do it.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Sergio. Always the bridesmaid. Will he ever win a major.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your still not convinced he'll surpass Woods or Nicklaus? When you see his Golf blowing everyone away, you sometimes wonder how he can't do it.

Probably because he was dreadful in Ireland just a few weeks ago.

His best is a lot better than anyone else's right now but when he isn't 'on' then he's just another one of the pack who is more than capable of having the weekend off.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fine. He's got years left in his career, so even if he is patchy, he'll find his form at the right time sooner or later. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No I honestly don't believe he will get anywhere near woods or Nicklaus total when he is good he is very good, but he goes quiet for long periods.

He would need to win one major a year for about the next 15 years

Woods was on about six majors by 25.

The standard is also way higher now that woods or Nicklaus eras

I may be wrong but I can't see him getting anymore than about 8

Oops mentioning man united on merseyside:o
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18 Majors is a lot, to state the bleeding obvious. There'es a reason no-one (not even Woods has got that close). Golf isn't like tennis, you're never going to consistently win2 or 3 in a year.

Both Woods and Jack had a great couple of years when they looked like they'd win every Major, but that's never going to be the norm in this game. Too many random equations.

Comparing him with Woods is stupid, Woods won a lot young, but clearly injury curtailed things we have no idea what will happen with McIlroy fitness-wise, but he should be competing beyond Tiger age-wise.

So, has he the talent to do it? Yes. Will he do it? I doubt it.

I'm going to guess at about 12 or 13.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad he won, though it certainly wasn't a sure thing until near the end. When he's at his best he's unbeatable, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's still a shit load of majors though, you think he'll just be shy of overtaking Woods?

Its difficult to guess, Seve won his 3rd around his 26th birthday and only went to win 2 more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's still a shit load of majors though, you think he'll just be shy of overtaking Woods?

Its difficult to guess, Seve won his 3rd around his 26th birthday and only went to win 2 more.

Indeed, that's why I'm just guessing. Jacklin won two close together at about 25 I think, never won again.

I do wonder with Seve whether his illness was somewhat dormant, and may have affected his play. One of life's unponderables I guess.

He certainly had a similar amount of talent to Rory. His was more one of the greatest short-games ever, but Rory's are his driving and Iron play.
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Seems these days since the 2008 incident, any golfer from the top 50 can have a good week at a major and win one, the talent pool seems deeper. Rory does seem a cut above at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    Seems these days since the 2008 incident, any golfer from the top 50 can have a good week at a major and win one, the talent pool seems deeper. Rory does seem a cut above at the moment.

Not sure what you mean really, I'd say the winners have been pretty good recently. Mcilroy, Kaymer, Watson all Repeats, Mickleson last year.

In fact I was thinking it's been a lot better, Dufner aside, from the days when total nobodies seemed to be winning every win, Curtis, Immelmann, Hamilton, Beem, Yang, Micheel, Ogilvie , Zach Johnson,bloke with nice beard, Kiwi, trandom Saffies, umm some other people I've forgotten.

Couple of those in your Time-frame, but in general I think the winners have been better over the last few years.

Maybe people finally coming out from Tigers shade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't class Dufner as a nobody, I would have had him as one of the top 10 players on the PGA Tour before he won the USPGA. He had a couple of tour wins and I'm sure he had been runner up in the USPGA a year or two earlier.

I wasn't surprised about Ogilvy, Immelman or Zach Johnson when they won either. All good players at the time and not a bigger surprise than when Webb Simpson or Gmac won their US Open's.

The one that surprised me most recently was Oosthuizen, I'm glad to see that he built on it and been a regular winner/contender since winning the Open.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Glad he held on, but the drawback is that golf coverage will be even more Woods blah blah blah, McIlroy blah blah blah, is Rory the new Tiger blah blah blah even though someone else wins 90% of the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't class Dufner as a nobody, I would have had him as one of the top 10 players on the PGA Tour before he won the USPGA. He had a couple of tour wins and I'm sure he had been runner up in the USPGA a year or two earlier.

I wasn't surprised about Ogilvy, Immelman or Zach Johnson when they won either. All good players at the time and not a bigger surprise than when Webb Simpson or Gmac won their US Open's.

The one that surprised me most recently was Oosthuizen, I'm glad to see that he built on it and been a regular winner/contender since winning the Open.

I should have said relative nobodies, I actually backed Immelman and Scwhartzel, been a shame about his injuries since. Slight mischeif in what I said as I knew a fair bit about most, except maybe Glover (beard) and Louis.

In the end they all have a chance to build on it after, I think the Louis and Charl are very capable of winning another major.

I hate to get boring old-timer, but I do feel the better technology in clubs do mean for the last 20 years we seem to get more random winners. Easier to get away with slightly poor ball-striking coming down the final 9. Which is why I've been quite pleased recently, as I felt unknowns winning every year didn't really help golf.

The Open has been Clarke, Els, Phil, now Rory. Known by more than just Golf fanatics.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »

Well certainly as far as Tiger is concerned that strange incident has arguably changed the course of Golfing history. Ofcourse he has won events since and did brilliantly to be number 1 again but whatever it takes to win a major disappeared with the tabloid headlines at the time.

Mcilroy doesnt win as many tournaments as he should but he clearly has what it takes to win when it really matters and is three quarters the way to the grand slam at 25. He has another 15 prime years so time is definitely in his side.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18 Majors is a lot, to state the bleeding obvious. There'es a reason no-one (not even Woods has got that close). Golf isn't like tennis, you're never going to consistently win2 or 3 in a year.

Both Woods and Jack had a great couple of years when they looked like they'd win every Major, but that's never going to be the norm in this game. Too many random equations.

Comparing him with Woods is stupid, Woods won a lot young, but clearly injury curtailed things we have no idea what will happen with McIlroy fitness-wise, but he should be competing beyond Tiger age-wise.

So, has he the talent to do it? Yes. Will he do it? I doubt it.

Talking of Jack, just looking around some stats it seems that in addition to his 18 wins, he was runner up a further 19 times in major championships. That is some consistency.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,685
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the days play, Rory always being that couple of shots ahead, and succeeded to get his hands on that claret jug.

It was good to see a young and delightful top three, and the way they all handled the proceedings.

Loved Sergio's actions coming up the 18th, he got such a big cheer it almost felt like he had won, and lovely to see him signal that it gave him goosebumps. :cool: I do hope he wins the Open at some point, many times a runner up and sometimes not too happy about it, however his reception today from the gallery seemed to quell the disappointment, and he seemed to revel in the presentation ceremony.

Well done to Rory, a thoroughly likeable young man, great for the game and for any junior golfer to aspire. He did the job today, where many have gone before and faultered.

In fact Rory, Sergio and Ricky at the top of the leaderboard did Royal Liverpool proud, and have not enjoyed the presentation as much for many a year. Phil's last year was very touching, but the two runners up made it special today.

Onto St Andrew's in 2015 .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Talking of Jack, just looking around some stats it seems that in addition to his 18 wins, he was runner up a further 19 times in major championships. That is some consistency.

He always said he felt Majors were easier to compete in than Normal Tour Events. Because he felt no nerves in either, but his opponents clearly were quaking in a Major. Hence his consistency, was top 5 many other times too.
    Forum Member
    He always said he felt Majors were easier to compete in than Normal Tour Events. Because he felt no nerves in either, but his opponents clearly were quaking in a Major. Hence his consistency, was top 5 many other times too.

Jack has made the comment about Majors being easier to win that other tournaments a couple of times, whilst sitting next to Colin Mongomerie in the studio at the Masters. :o

The first time Colin looked at him rather bemused as if Jack was having a dig at him for never having secured a Major win, Jack did apologise, then Colin just joked about it.
    Forum Member
    Just one note to remember 30 years ago ......

The late great and dear Severiano Ballesteros won the Open Chmpionship at St Andrew's 30 years ago today.

With his iconic fist pump, and Perter Alliss's inimitable words 'Do you think he enjoyed that one?' It was so special to him he made the celebration his moniker and even had it tattooed on his arm.

Probably the most well known celebration in golf. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH8JXoh3TCA

In my mind he is, and always will be, the most special of golfers, the one player that made me actually trek around Open courses!! He gave so much more than the game of golf, he gave entertainment, humour, that exuberant personality and charisma, and a total will to win. He made the galleries love him and the game was that much more exciting when he was around.

We miss you Seve.