Tumble (Merged)

Comments

• MediaLoverMediaLover Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    After having watched it last night, I'll not be tuning in next week.
    The reason being, it just is trying to copy splash ( a bad show anyway) and have made it worse! Hopefully, the fad of live saturday night shows where celebrities attempt things will wear off soon.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me going on Louis hair He looks like a muppet.

Absolutely! I think I prefer a mullet to that. It looks like a cowpat on his head! :o
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if already posted, could not find.
    Was unsure beforehand but..
    I was pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed it.

What did you folks think?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is saying that it wasn't a genuine error. People know that it was a genuine error.
    The problem is that this is a programme supposedly about gymnastics and the presenter of this very particular programme appeared to have no idea who Beth Tweddle is.

I am sure she knows very well who Beth Tweddle is, I think Tweddle was on The One Show a couple of weeks ago.

She made a mistake like most people do from time to time.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to enjoy making comments about people, usually women, that aren't very complimentary. Not sure why. This one has to be the worst, though. Apart from the fact she's a mother who's given birth to a son, it's very childish, not to mention insulting, to make comments about someone's appearance in such terms. Perhaps you think you are being 'funny' or 'clever' in some way? Or you're going to excuse it as 'banter'? But using those excuses to cover up inherent and unnecessary nastiness is never acceptable in anyone, and just makes them look ignorant (in the true sense of the word).

Nadia's early life as a child and young adult was awful - something none of us would have wanted for our own children, lucky as we are to be living in a country where personal freedom is deemed a right (even if some people abuse that right). She was forced to train, live, eat and sleep gymnastics, and the regime didn't care what that did to her body and physical development - but to insult her by implying that she's unfeminine isn't funny. Yes, some countries, and some sports (athletics, track and field, for example) did give their female competitors drugs to enhance their skills which had unfortunate (and unwanted) side-effects on their gender identities both superficially and internally, but gymnasts weren't part of that. They were given drugs to prevent the onset of puberty, to keep them 'little girls' with svelte bodies and no breast tissue development, so the opposite of what they tried to achieve with track and field athletes. She defected not knowing there was shortly to be a revolution in Romania - she expected to never see her family again, and even when 'the wall came down' it wasn't easy to see them again.

Still, I doubt you'll see anything wrong with your comments, and you probably think it's all very funny to get your 'communist athlete drug victims' all tarred with the same brush to make feeble jokes about how feminine, or not, people look in your eyes. And sadly, the comment of Nadia is one of several where you make disparaging comments against women on this thread (as others have also pointed out). It just happens to be the worst, which is why I'm singling it out in particular.

Well put, some of us can remember the impact she had when she competed in the Olympics. Grown up to a very beautiful lady.
  • lipglosslipgloss Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did they give a reason as to why nobody was eliminated last night?

Are they brining in more celebs? I must admit I'm only going to tune in again next week to see someone do the vault and see how it compares to 'The Jump'

Imagine mr motivators injury was why no one was eliminated. I think the vault off sounds genius.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lipgloss wrote: »
    Imagine mr motivators injury was why no one was eliminated. I think the vault off sounds genius.

I don't think so, as Peter Duncan was his replacement.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Oh dear! Another c-list celeb sports based competition, sold as Strictly Come Gymnastics but more like Splash without water. Major fail. :confused:

Agreed, but it is quite beyond me why anyone would have expected any other outcome. This had 'car crash' written all over it from the moment the concept was made public some months ago.

It's hard to believe that it actually got beyond the first commissioning meeting. The people responsible for green lighting this tosh should be utterly humiliated and never allowed to work in television again.

I appreciate that not every new show is going to be a winner, but really! It's not like the BBC can hide behind the 'well we are pushing boundaries and trying to break new ground' argument. This is just a cack handed rehash of a pretty crap formula to begin with. And as for that Jones woman. Is there nothing the BBC won't shove her into? She may be OK for sitting on a sofa but anything more demanding and she is way out of her depth, even for Tumble!
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to watch it as I'd read some of the comments beforehand and expected it to be rubbish Anyway decided to give it a go today and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd expected.
    It was definitely too long, way too long - at one point Alex said there was another 5 routines to go and I wasn't sure if I would bother, glad I did if only for seeing the professionals performing- that was pretty impressive.
    I have respect all those taking part, it took a lot of courage, hard work and determination. Some were better than others obviously but they always have to include a few to go early on. I havn't a clue who most of them are anyway.
    I was impressed with H because I wouldn't have expected him to do so well. Peter Duncan was pretty good too but so far my favourites are the boxer and John from Eastenders.
    The scoring seemed a bit strange - did that Craig just give everyone 5.5? I seemed to have missed something with the blond Sugar Babes girls routine - the judges seemed happy enough with it but I thought they were supposed to be in sync on the hoops but to me she looked like she was doing a different routine to her partner?
    It needs two presenters though if only for a bit of of variety. I will watch again but probably just watch the performances and cut the waffle.
  • Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few of these celebs would be big signings for Strictly. Carl Froch, Sarah Harding, Andrea McLean, H and John Partridge would all do very well on that show. God knows why they chose to do this steaming pile of turd instead.
  • SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I have just watched this on iPlayer. It reminded me more of Dancing on Ice than Strictly. But DOI was successful to start with

Definitely agree with many of the comments on the hosting. Miss Jones on her own doesn't carry it. Needs a co host, preferably someone who has been involved in gymnastics or something similar and can provide banter.

The judges obviously aren't used to doing light entertainment telly so don't add entertainment to the show. (The show needs a core, a heart and Miss Jones and the judges aren't strong enough to give it one.) Craig is trying but is not quite working and he ends up looking a prat. He seems to be trying to be the Jason Gardner / CRH or even Simon Cowell of the show but he hasn't established the credibility for it yet. Everyone knows that Jason Gardner/ CRH / Cowell know what they are talking about and so their criticisms are seen to have validity. So the contestants can be seen as trying to please them. But Craig just seems to be marking low for effect and it doesn't seem genuine. Nadia is the one with the most gymnastics credibility. She's the goddess of the sport. So if Craig (or Lewis) disagree with her, despite their own outstanding abilities and track records in the sport, they won't get away with it. They won't look credible. And Nadia is being too nice to the contestants not giving Craig and Lewis room for manoeuvre. She needs to be a bit more critical. She also needs to be a bit more chatty.

On DOI, however nasty Jason was about the contestants, he seldom disagreed with Robin Cousens on the technical side of skating. He didn't have the credibility to do so against an Olympic Gold Medal skater and he was wise enough not to try.

They may have been better off with only two rather than three Olympic gymnasts on the panel, replacing one with a gymnastics show choreographer who makes these things flow for a living (for example Adraina Pop , Romanian mate of Nadia's, who is part of the team on the Progressive Skating and Gymnastics show in New York - Beth took part last year and its televised by NBC - and has choreographed members of the Chinese team - no idea if her English is up to it or whether she would be entertaining on the telly, but there are others who do the same thing and could add to the entertainment of the show).

They also need to find a way of making us care who wins, so the personalities of the celebs needs to come out more.

It could never be another Strictly simply because most people prefer dancing to gymnastics and feel that they could learn to dance themselves, its almost a life skill. and you are almost never too old to love watching dancing So whatever they do with it it can't compete with Strictly. But get it right it could replace DOI, although DOI's audience had dropped by the end.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    Firstly, I CBA to read all 23 pages since I last posted on this thread. (Was out last night at the theatre watching the New York G&S production of "The Pirates Of Penzance". They should really televise that!)
    So did they give a reason as to why as eliminated last night?
    Probably for the same reason on-one's eliminated the first week of SCD.
    Agreed, but it is quite beyond me why anyone would have expected any other outcome. This had 'car crash' written all over it from the moment the concept was made public some months ago.

It's hard to believe that it actually got beyond the first commissioning meeting. The people responsible for green lighting this tosh should be utterly humiliated and never allowed to work in television again.
    They probably said that about SCD too. Whatever happened to that show?
    I appreciate that not every new show is going to be a winner...
    You could have stopped at this point, you know.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    I wasn't going to watch it as I'd read some of the comments beforehand and expected it to be rubbish. Anyway decided to give it a go today and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd expected.
    Of course it wasn't. It was never going to be as bad as some people made out it would.
    It was definitely too long, way too long
    It was no longer than the premier of any series of SCD and will, of course,get shorter as contestants are eliminated.
    The scoring seemed a bit strange..
    I agree. "That was a brilliant routine. I love it. But I'm only giving you 4 out of ten."

WHAT? :o
    It needs two presenters though if only for a bit of of variety.
    Maybe. I'm also not sure the 'commentator' works either; or the "instant replays".
    I will watch again but probably just watch the performances and cut the waffle.
    As I do with SCD and any other similar show that I might happen to watch.

Incidentally, when SCD started in May 2014, the first show got 4.16m viewers; only some 1m or so more than "Tumble".
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just Saturday evening telly. I never expect anything better from broadcasters. Its light entertainment, barely worth a comment.
    If I want to see Dostoyevsky translated into Swedish by Strindberg for added misery and performed by a cast of depressives I will go elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Saturday evening casual entertainment and people and screaming and shouting. I think a doctors appointment is necessary for many here to discuss anger management and high blood pressure possible problems.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, when SCD started in May 2014, the first show got 4.16m viewers; only some 1m or so more than "Tumble".

Surely this should be 2004!
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    I wasn't going to watch it as I'd read some of the comments beforehand and expected it to be rubbish Anyway decided to give it a go today and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd expected.
    It was definitely too long, way too long - at one point Alex said there was another 5 routines to go and I wasn't sure if I would bother, glad I did if only for seeing the professionals performing- that was pretty impressive.
    I have respect all those taking part, it took a lot of courage, hard work and determination. Some were better than others obviously but they always have to include a few to go early on. I havn't a clue who most of them are anyway.
    I was impressed with H because I wouldn't have expected him to do so well. Peter Duncan was pretty good too but so far my favourites are the boxer and John from Eastenders.
    The scoring seemed a bit strange - did that Craig just give everyone 5.5? I seemed to have missed something with the blond Sugar Babes girls routine - the judges seemed happy enough with it but I thought they were supposed to be in sync on the hoops but to me she looked like she was doing a different routine to her partner?
    It needs two presenters though if only for a bit of of variety. I will watch again but probably just watch the performances and cut the waffle.

The blonde Sugababes girl was actually a blonde Girls Aloud-er - Sarah Harding!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half way through I turned it off. It was unbelievably awful. Won't bother again.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Well I watched it last night with my housemates and we really quite enjoyed it. It was a tad long, but the action was impressive and the budget obviously was high. I'm one of the few that thinks Alex Jones didn't do a bad job, I did love her casual comment to the ones at the bottom of the scoreboard that they better 'step it up next time, ok' Made me giggle she was so blunt :D The routines had enough danger and there's obviously a lot gone into the show, I liked it and will be back next week- Certainly not as awful as Splash or The Jump :)
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok, perhaps better than Splash? Didn't know some of the celebrities, but they all put in a sterling effort. I believe the instructions to the Judges was not to be over critical. The five Commonwealth Game gymnasts performing with Louis, at the close of the show had great energy. Just out of interest ;) who's the lad in the navy blue leggins (1.24.52 in attached link) he leapfrogs over Louis. Thanks for your help. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p021p0h8/tumble-episode-1 EDITED:- I can answer my own question :) it was Max Whitlock. ;)

:)
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beth Tweadle is on next week according to Alex.

Good, this pantomime was missing a horse.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    The blonde Sugababes girl was actually a blonde Girls Aloud-er - Sarah Harding!

Ooops sorry. I don't know either group - or the girls - to be honest.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic and embarrassing. Shameful that our TV license contributes to this tripe.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was ok

I enjoy watching gymnastics but this, to me, was more acrobatic than gymnastics.........

maybe that will change as the weeks progress but Im not sure tbh

I cant stand Alex Jones so that put me off for a start

I will give it another go next week and see but Im not holding my breath :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnooo wrote: »
    Exactly. Saturday evening casual entertainment and people and screaming and shouting. I think a doctors appointment is necessary for many here to discuss anger management and high blood pressure possible problems.

This is a thread full of writing, it's not audible. I also don't even see many people typing in all caps. If you're reading it aloud to yourself and raising your voice in the process, that's a personal choice but the only thing I am hearing when I read this thread is the gentle hum of my laptop fan. If you are hearing voices when read this thread, perhaps take your own advice or at least get an ad blocker to stop any video adverts.