Options

The Kinks and the Village Green Preservation Society

Comments

• Options
    SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    Time of the Season I'd say is only about the 6th best song on Oddysey though, an album that is close to perfection :cool:

'Odessey & Oracle' - fab album. :cool: As for Colin Blunstone's voice *swoon* :p

Another fab band from the 60's are Small Faces with the brilliant vocals of Steve Marriott. :cool:

To keep on topic as this is a Kinks thread - watch out for Wicked Annabella - she's out and about tonight with it being Halloween. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha ha - I've currently got shuffle on my iTunes on and 'People Take Pictures of Each Other' has just come on. Fancy that. :D

Now that is a song that is completely bonkers! :D

"Don't show me no more please". How very true is that line in the song when people show you their boring wedding/holiday pics? :D
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mccoll131 wrote: »
    I went to a funeral service recently where 'Days' was played as the coffin was carried out! Ray Davies was a great wordsmith.

oh my.... tbh i think that would make me cry..
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slick Nick wrote: »
    Nice thread - there's hope for this godawful music forum yet.

60s had the best pop music.

Anyone listen to the Zombies? Another quality act.

well instead of complaining about it, why not try to enhance it by starting a thread on something worthy? :)
  • Options
    Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well instead of complaining about it, why not try to enhance it by starting a thread on something worthy? :)

I did... I started a thread about 60s music a couple of weeks ago but I think it gost lost since a new Cheryl or Robbie thread pops up ever 4 seconds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    The 60s was definately the best era for music! My faves- Beatles, Stones, Doors, Kinks, Who, Small Faces and loads more. I saw the Kinks live 3 times in the 90s, when I too was a teenager. Been into the 60s since I was about 14, am 31 now. Also saw the Hollies, who I like but were rubbish live, also have seen live The Searchers, Spencer Davis group, Donovan, probably a few more who ive forgotten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    A few tracks from a couple of lesser known albums from the 60's...

Sagittarius - Present Tense
    Millennium - Begin

Both are in my top five 60's albums ever. Great psychedelic harmonies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-oGEhDP0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBkds-u0CFo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmKrUQdpVg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOl2yXNFOg&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Village Green Preservation Society is one of my favourite albums ever. Berkeley Mews, the bonus track featured on the re-issue, was always a big fave of mine. As well as others like Starstruck, Do You Remember Walter and the title track.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    dlm88888 wrote: »
    A few tracks from a couple of lesser known albums from the 60's...

Sagittarius - Present Tense
    Millennium - Begin

I love that Sagittarius album, it's one of my favourites too.

Curt Boettcher was a talented chap. He produced 'Along Comes Mary' by The Association which was a fantastic single.

The Association did a lot of good stuff. I love The Turtles as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    Time of the Season I'd say is only about the 6th best song on Oddysey though, an album that is close to perfection :cool:

I've just listened to Odessey and Oracle and it's brilliant, I love it, my favourite is the first, Care of Cell 44 :)

...oh wait...um...the Kinks yes...this is their thread:D
  • Options
    Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been listening a lot to Living on a Thin Line since it was on The Sopranos soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvdBrbJnve8

This great version of I'm Not Like Everybody Else was on The Sopranos soundtrack as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr3oHEGDR7Y&feature=related
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I've just listened to Odessey and Oracle and it's brilliant, I love it, my favourite is the first, Care of Cell 44 :)

...oh wait...um...the Kinks yes...this is their thread:D

I think you'll enjoy this classic by The Left Banke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqBTzfcIk4&feature=related

but yes....back to The Kinks!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ♫ "I bet you're fat and married and you're always home in bed by half-past eight." ♫

Excellent lyrics to 'Do You Remember Walter' from the VGPS album. :cool:
  • Options
    Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished the 33 1/3 book about this album.

Great read... shame no one gave a shit about it in the UK when it was released. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Slick Nick wrote: »
    I've just finished the 33 1/3 book about this album.

Great read... shame no one gave a shit about it in the UK when it was released. :eek:

That's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid. Pleased it's now getting recognition for the quality album it is. Superb set of songs. So English - so Ray Davies! :cool: I bought this album in the early 90's (I wasn't around in the 60's) and haven't looked back. My faves Kinks album although I only have a few others.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Great album. Great band. Great songwriter.

My favourite Kinks album is Muswell Hillbillies, I have to say. Have seen Ray solo and The Kinks several times, and he/they have been wonderful every time.

sidenote: the 'legendary' US critic Grail Marcus called Village Green and Arthur 'dull albums about England'. Which merely reinforces my belief that so-called legendary American rock writers of the 60's/70's have always been massively overrated (Marcus, Lester Bangs, Robert Christgau)...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great album. Great band. Great songwriter.

My favourite Kinks album is Muswell Hillbillies, I have to say. Have seen Ray solo and The Kinks several times, and he/they have been wonderful every time.

sidenote: the 'legendary' US critic Grail Marcus called Village Green and Arthur 'dull albums about England'. Which merely reinforces my belief that so-called legendary American rock writers of the 60's/70's have always been massively overrated (Marcus, Lester Bangs, Robert Christgau)...

A dull album? :eek: What did the guy have in his ears at the time - cotton wool? Even if someone doesn't like 'VGPS' as an album there's no way it could be described as dull. Perhaps he doesn't have a great imagination as one of the reasons I love this album is for the imagery it conjures. Songs such as 'Phenomenal Cat' really let the imagination run riot. Love the idea of a flying cat flying over the world to places like Katmandu and Sardinia as well as the Scilly Isles. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've recently been listening to Celluloid Heroes, isn't that a lovely song. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've recently been listening to Celluloid Heroes, isn't that a lovely song. :)

Yes it is, Cabledude - I've not listened to that one in ages. :)

I think another lovely song that's pretty much overlooked is 'Don't Forget To Dance'. There's some excellent lyrics on that song. The lyrics seem filled with sadness to me yet there's positivity lying beneath them.

Love this verse in particular. :D

♫ You walk down the street
    And all the young punks whistle at you.
    A nice bit of old,
    Just goes to show what you can achieve
    with the right attitude.
    As you pass them by
    They whisper their remarks one to another,
    And you give them the eye
    Even that you know that you could be their mother.
    You do the thing you love the most.
    What separates you from the rest,
    And what you love to do the most?
    And when they ask me how you dance,
    I say that you dance real close. ♫

Video to the song (love the bit at the beginning where Ray is in character and he taps the bloke on the shoulder to have a dance with the lady. :D):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ta118a0crk

I know this isn't on the 'Villiage Green' album but it's still The Kinks. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I'm a big Kinks fan, and I'm only a teenager, I discovered them myself without anybody telling me about them and they're my second favourites after the Beatles, but I don't think they gain that much recognition. So I have created their appreciation society, named the 'Preservation Society' after their album.

My favourite albums have to be:
    - Something Else
    - Arthur
    - The Village Green Preservation Society
    - Lola Versus Powerman on the Moneygoround
    - State of Confusion
    - Schoolboys in Disgrace

I also think their best tracks to be Victoria, You Really Got Me, Come Dancing, Johnny Thunder, Picture Book, Days, State of Confusion, Lola and Waterloo Sunset.

What are your views?

On a critical note, I do believe Soap Opera and Sleepwalker are pretty bad...:D:o

Hi, I'm also a teenager (17) and have liked the Kinks since I was 10 or 11.

I have all their albums as well as bootlegs and solo stuff.

I don't think Soap Opera is that bad. It's an interesting concept. And I think Sleepwalker is brilliant - one of my favourites!

They are my Number 1 favourite band, though. Better than the Beatles for me.

Have you got the deluxe 3CD version of Village Green? I ask because I am informed that next year there will be similar deluxe versions of Something Else, Arthur and Lola.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi, I'm also a teenager (17) and have liked the Kinks since I was 10 or 11.

I have all their albums as well as bootlegs and solo stuff.

I don't think Soap Opera is that bad. It's an interesting concept. And I think Sleepwalker is brilliant - one of my favourites!

They are my Number 1 favourite band, though. Better than the Beatles for me.

Have you got the deluxe 3CD version of Village Green? I ask because I am informed that next year there will be similar deluxe versions of Something Else, Arthur and Lola.

Yeah, ive got the 3CD version, I'll definately have to get Lola if it comes out in a deluxe version, I hope they bring out Muswell Hillbillies in future too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Since it's Christmas, heres a Kinks Christmas song to get you in the mood. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's nice to see the Kinks doing so well in the forum's annual Greatest Band Ever vote.

What do you all think, will they do it and beat the Who, at least?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's nice to see the Kinks doing so well in the forum's annual Greatest Band Ever vote.

What do you all think, will they do it and beat the Who, at least?

Well done to them, they came second. I'd like to thank this thread I created, despite me digging it up. :D
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Great band, have been a fan for a while. Think Predictable and Missing Persons ae their best later songs and I Need You which was b-side of Set Me Free is their best early song o and love the vid for Predictable as well, especially when Ray is dressed as a hippy:)