Night Terrors?

hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

Last night I had what I think was a "night terror".

A couple of years a go I had a phase of them, about once a week for a month for the first time in my life (didn't get them as a child) I would visualise and truly believe that huge spiders were crawling up me or around me and wake up screaming and out of breath. I am phobic of big spiders. I managed to wake up the whole house once, as they rushed in to see what was up.

Last night I saw a giant spider coming down from the ceiling onto my face so i jumped up and I could see the big spider whilst sitting up on my bed, it was dark and just as if I was sitting up if I were really awake. Next thing I know my boyfriend has his arm around me, calming me down, convincing me it wasn't real and eventually I went back to sleep.

Today I have been absolutely shattered, found it very hard to keep my eyes open which has been a struggle at work.

Has anyone else experienced these as an adult? I'm worried they'll start up again and become regular. :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I didn't know until now night terrors were real! I've only heard of them in The Simpsons episode where Homer things cobras are attacking him.

It doesn't seem like you are having night terrors though, I found this on a parents website;

"Unlike nightmares, which kids often remember, kids won't have any memory of a night terror the next day because they were in deep sleep when it happened — and there are no mental images to recall."

Whatever is happening, it must be awful for you though, nightmares are bad enough and the thought of that huge spider on the ceiling is creeping me out just reading it. :eek:
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    I didn't know until now night terrors were real! I've only heard of them in The Simpsons episode where Homer things cobras are attacking him.

It doesn't seem like you are having night terrors though, I found this on a parents website;

"Unlike nightmares, which kids often remember, kids won't have any memory of a night terror the next day because they were in deep sleep when it happened — and there are no mental images to recall."

Whatever is happening, it must be awful for you though, nightmares are bad enough and the thought of that huge spider on the ceiling is creeping me out just reading it. :eek:

Yeah I just read about night terrors in adults and it often links it with depression/anxiety/lack of sleep etc etc. It's right in that it takes a while for me to "wake up" and accept it has been just a dream. I'm none of the above, perhaps a tad anxious about things but it was just a normal night. Went to sleep at midnight as usual. I imagine this must've happened about 3am although I have no idea but it was completely dark still outside.

I remember everything clearly, from the visions I was having to being calmed down. I can visualise the spider now, it was blue from the moonlight. About the size of a small football.

I dream every single night without failure and can normally throughout the day remember bits as if they were real and "take myself back there". I can even remember places in dreams I had as a child.

Does anyone else have dreams so vivid?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very ill a few years ago (possible proper food poisoning) and spent a few days mostly in bed.

I read George Orwell;s 1984 and then started dreaming about it. Horrible dreams.

I also had some hallucinations while I was awake.
    I could see TV pictures on the wall (like a flat screen telly), a shirt hanging on my wardrobe door would move, almost dance and small pieces of tangled 'fishing line' would roll across the floor like tumbleweed in a Western.

My brain was perfectly rational and I wasn't frightened at all at these effects that I knew were not real.

Then a huge spider hurtled out from under the wardrobe and made a beeline for my face.
    I am not frightened of spiders but my thoughts in a split second were "Oh no! It will be rats next". I hate rats.

Then I realised it was a real spider and not part of my hallucinations. Phew.
    Flushed it away. (and it was big 3" leg to leg)

I was quite intrigued by all this for a few days and found I could switch them on and off at will. Then I got better and they stopped.