Being asked 'What do you want for Christmas?'

2»

Comments

• d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    both my partner and my son have december birthdays I admit I find it hard thinking of 2 lots of presents within a 10 day period

I never know what to ask for when people ask me

I have the same problem with my mum and my son both being within 4 days of Christmas! :eek:

When mine were younger, relatives used to ask me to buy something for the boys for them to give them, and they'd pay me. The problem was that I wouldn't like to ask for too much money e.g. my sister-in-law could only afford to spend £10 and I couldn't find much for £10 so I would buy something for £20 and only ask her for £10!

OP - It is a pain being asked what the kids want but as others have said, better than duplicate presents and at least you're not being expected to buy them like I was!
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my mum and my son both being within 4 days of Christmas! :eek:

When mine were younger, relatives used to ask me to buy something for the boys for them to give them, and they'd pay me. The problem was that I wouldn't like to ask for too much money e.g. my sister-in-law could only afford to spend £10 and I couldn't find much for £10 so I would buy something for £20 and only ask her for £10!

OP - It is a pain being asked what the kids want but as others have said, better than duplicate presents and at least you're not being expected to buy them like I was!

No, not expected to buy them, but usually procure them! Thanks everyone for not being too rough on me, I was expecting a pasting! I suppose I just feel like Christmas is so commercial now - you don't get or give a thoughtfully chosen gift - it's just 'this is what I want - go and buy it'. It just doesn't feel very Christmassy. Maybe we are all just too spoiled!
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always ask people what they want and when people ask me I always give them a list of a few things I would like. People have gone 'off list' before with me...WHY!!!!:eek:

As a giver I don't think there's anything worse than spending a lot of money on a 'Surprise' gift for someone only to get that fake wow thanks reaction on Christmas day when you can really see that 'What the hell have you got me this for?', 'What is it?', 'You spent how much.....on this!' look on their face.

Last year my wife mentioned to my MIL that she was making her own soup, on the back of which she bought us a professional soup maker. Very expensive, I can see the logic etc but our reaction was just as per the paragraph above. Only seems to work with small quantities and the recipes supplied so it now just sits in the corner of the kitchen unused being dusted off occasionally.

My wife is one of those 'Oh I don't know, surprise me' people. Over a number of years I've listened to her make comments about TV commercials, Products she would like. Only after great effort and expense to get that 'I said I liked it, not that I wanted it' look. I found a sealed DVD set I got her in 2007 yesterday, numerous cook books i've got her over the years remain unopended.

Times are hard out there no one should be throwing away cash needlessly. If anyone asks what you want just tell them, they won't be wasting their money, you won't be disappointed.

This year I've got her a couple of smaller presents and cold hard cash, she can go sale shopping and get what she truly wants. She has my list of wants.
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just say the usual which equates to. "Not bothered in the slightest, however if you feel obliged to then a single malt of decent quality will be appreciated as ever"

If I get nothing I will be just as happy.