Sinead Oconner on Andrew Marr show

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why it went down hill rapidly.

EM: How are you more to the point, every interview I see with you, drags up all of your past.
    SO: Yes, let's not.
    EM: And you're forced to go through all that. So tell me how things are now?
    SO: Good. Really good. I'm great. I'm wonderful. I'm fantastic. I'm the greatest.
    EM: Are you trying to convince me or yourself?

Opppps…

Who did he think he was, her psychologist? ,,,

I agree with you.

She was there to sing a song, and he patronisingly brings up her well known problems and asks her how she is.

When she tells him she's "really good, wonderful, fantastic", etc. (in other words, "Can you please shut up and let me get on with my song?"), the idiot insists on asking whether she's just trying to convince herself!

Was he really trying to get her to skip the song and have a nervous breakdown on air?

I am 100% with Sinéad. I think she handled the obnoxious windbag just fine!
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best female vocalists ever in my opinion. The purity of her voice is breathtaking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    OMG did anyone see the stroppy cow just now on the Andrew Marr Show?:eek:

Car crash TV wasn't it. I couldn't work out if she was ranting to just the band or imaginary friends standing either side of her as well. Not nice to see someone having obvious issues live on TV really.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    She did say that, but he then questioned her by saying:

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself"

And she found herself having to justify how she was feeling. She was there to sing a song, not give an in depth interview about her mental state. That's what's likely to have annoyed her.

I didn't see it but from the sounds of it I agree as she was lovely and sweet on AT. I think Marr get's lots of peoples backs up doesn't he?
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I thought this was funny. Clearly the presenter had his best intentions of appearing to enjoy the music throughout. Wonder if it had been Jeremy Paxman, wonder what have happened? :D

He should have said you know where the door is.:D
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Are you trying to convince me or yourself"

Quote of the Year! Fantastic response lol.:D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I think Marr get's lots of peoples backs up doesn't he?

But it was not Andrew Marr who interviewed her :confused:
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what Eddie Mair says in his Radio Times column.
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just imagine if St Sinead and Morrissey had ever got together and produced offspring.:eek:
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    But it was not Andrew Marr who interviewed her :confused:

sorry my mistake, I didn't know Eddie Mair was now doing the Andrew Marr show, how :confused:
    Only ever hear Mair on PM, seems ok
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    sorry my mistake, I didn't know Eddie Mair was now doing the Andrew Marr show, how :confused:
    Only ever hear Mair on PM, seems ok

Andrew Marr had a stroke recently, so Eddie Mair was guest hosting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20966790
  • AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Andrew Marr is recovering from a stroke. His show has a different presenter each week at the moment.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she treated Eddie Mair with the contempt he deserved given his line of questioning. His interaction with her was extremely patronising. I don't think he'll be replacing Marr any time soon!
    Forum Member
    thanks for info on Mair & Marr, sorry for being slow on uptake.
    Anyway the transcript I read, his questions seemed a bit off for a 5 min interview. I know on PM he can be a bit 'John Humphries' in his interview style but generally with political & business people, so not too personal. Sounds like he over-stepped the mark with Sinead, Alan was nice to her and she was nice back, Mair was all probing & a bit rude and she was rude back. Seems fair to me
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was hardly anything but her lightly (but incisively and decisively) mocking his inanity.

But I'm glad this was brought to my attention. I've missed her.

Liked the song.

Laughed at the way all 4 of those uptight ***** sat there absolutely motionless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    It was hardly anything but her lightly (but incisively and decisively) mocking his inanity.

But I'm glad this was brought to my attention. I've missed her.

Liked the song.

Laughed at the way all 4 of those uptight ***** sat there absolutely motionless.

I often wonder why they have these music "endings" The stuffed shirt guest either sit there looking patronising or embarassed. I watched wonderful African sounds one week that should have had stone statues toe-tappings and the "guests" sat hands folded in laps with forced inane grins on their faces.
    I only witnessed the very end of the "interview" and only saw her repost not most of Mair's questioning so can't really comment but fair play she and band carried on which has to say something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might, just might, have a shread of sympathy for Mair if he'd pursued a tough, unwanted, line of questioning with Iain Duncan Smith and the couple who can't be named but he didn't. He chose to adopt a very insenstive line with a vunerable woman. And I'm not even a Sinead fan.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mair is a strange fish. He is the same on the R4 programme PM: with one guest he is all accommodating, allowing him/her to get his/her point across and then with another he is hostile from the start and generally in a patronising way. A bit of consistency wouldn't come amiss. Just think if he had spoken to Iain Duncan Smith in that tone about his disastrous leadership of the Tory party, his nervous cough, his faux concern for the poorer members of our society etc.

If the BBC is looking for a permanent replacement for Marr, I hope they don't choose Mair or any of the other stuffed male shirts they've had on in recent weeks.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone please get her and Bruce WIllis together on a chat show!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    I might, just might, have a shread of sympathy for Mair if he'd pursued a tough, unwanted, line of questioning with Iain Duncan Smith and the couple who can't be named but he didn't. He chose to adopt a very insenstive line with a vunerable woman. And I'm not even a Sinead fan.

^ This ^. He made himself look an a*se.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    It was a complete set up - inc. the intentional visual contrast.

Either you sit down and talk to someone or you introduce them. O'Connor was at the mic in full on performance mode and Mair's approach could be seen as patronising, certainly enough to make someone feel defensive.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said!
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,811
    Forum Member
    Here's her night Mair?
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »

Thank you .I read the thread and thought Sinead had been rude or something .Just watched it and see a lady caught off guard and trying to answer a silly question and simply getting on with it .
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the thread and thought Sinead had been rude or something

Hilarious isn't it?

And to think there were a couple of other axe grinders so outraged by the stroppy, rude, obnoxious, no-'hit'-havin', cow c--t! :rolleyes:

:D