Game of Thrones Season 3 - (for those who have read ALL the Books) - SPOILERS.

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    But assuming Locke's group are the Bloody Mummers, it's only the name of their leader and the initial side switching that's changed. There are no less groups than there were in the book.

They may cut out The Mountain's men taking Harrenhal from The Bloody Mummers for the Lannisters before the Red Wedding as they ultimately end up in control of it after the Bolton's betrayal anyway.

I didn't think we're supposed to know that Ramsay is who he is yet, or even that he's the leader of that particular group. Roose still appears to be one of Robb's main supporters.

I wasn't sure why they had Theon's big confession. Presumably because it's important that only Ramsay and Theon know the truth about the Stark boys. I don't remember him ever admitting (even to himself) that he was wrong to side with his father over the Starks in the books.

Locke is a Bannerman to Bolton not the leader of a group of Mercenaries though so isn't a separate group.

The name Locke actually comes from House Locke (loyal to House Bolton) in the books.

IIRC There's some stuff in ADWD where Theon basically says this.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Locke is a Bannerman to Bolton not the leader of a group of Mercenaries though so isn't a separate group.

The name Locke actually comes from House Locke (loyal to House Bolton) in the books.

Oh I see, so they are just an extension of the Boltons, not a separate group in the employ of the Boltons. That makes sense I suppose.
    IIRC There's some stuff in ADWD where Theon basically says this.

I'll have to read his chapters again, I was under the impression he was still clinging to his Ironborn heritage, if only for the sake of what sanity he has left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling Locke will end up being Bear food, pushed into the Pit by Jaime during his rescue of Brienne.

This gives Jaime his revenge and allows the Lannisters to work with the Boltons without any bad blood between the houses.

I'll see if I can find the Theon stuff I'm thinking of.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling Locke will end up being Bear food, pushed into the Pit by Jaime during his rescue of Brienne.

This gives Jaime his revenge and allows the Lannisters to work with the Boltons without any bad blood between the houses.

Well, it beats being slowly fed to yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode.

Loved all the Arya scenes Jaime/Brienne and the final Lannister scenes.

I guess TV Loras got over Renly a little quicker than Book Loras. :eek:

Never would have guessed that they would have combined Shireen with Patchface though :D

And Edric Storm has become Edric the Unborn.

So they have seemingly sidestepped the plotline problem of Barristen knowing Jorah was a spy.

Without having to keep his own secret there seemed no reason for him to keep Jorah's yet now it seems he never knew it.

I have a feeling he does know though and was just playing with Jorah.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode.

Loved all the Arya scenes Jaime/Brienne and the final Lannister scenes.

I guess TV Loras got over Renly a little quicker than Book Loras. :eek:

Never would have guessed that they would have combined Shireen with Patchface though :D

And Edric Storm has become Edric the Unborn.

So they have seemingly sidestepped the plotline problem of Barristen knowing Jorah was a spy.

Without having to keep his own secret there seemed no reason for him to keep Jorah's yet now it seems he never knew it.

Totally agree, brilliant episode again, loved the use of fire as the theme through all the cut scenes, the fight with The Hound and Beric was brilliantly done too, especially Sandor's fear of the fire.
    Loved the scene with Gendry and Arya and also the one with Arya, Thoros and Beric, giving a bit more background and depth to the extent that the Brotherhood has been working behind the scenes.
    Jaime and Brienne's scenes were brilliantly played too, loved his line where he says his name is Jaime, simple but really effective and the Storm's End story line was done well too, good to see they've stuck with Shireen's greyscale and great to see Davos back on screen.

Absolutely cracking ending with Tywin, Cersei and Tyrion and a fairly complex book plot got much simplified for the TV version which I think worked really well.

Was interesting to see they've gone to Yunkai and not missed it out and headed straight to Mereen also loved the scenes with Grey Worm.

The scenes beyond the Wall were the weakest for me but then I'm not a Jon Snow fan but they were well done in terms of advancing the plot along for the assault by the Wildlings and I liked the way they reintroduced Walder Frey in the scenes with Robb at Riverrun.

Overall it's an 8.5 out of 10 episode for me this week.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, he definitely gave a look to Jorah as though 'but I know you're a traitor'. It's interesting that they reminded us of this in the 'previously on...' clips as I'm sure most people would have forgotten about Jorah sending info about Dany back to Westeros (something he used to do but not for a long time).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, he definitely gave a look to Jorah as though 'but I know you're a traitor'. It's interesting that they reminded us of this in the 'previously on...' clips as I'm sure most people would have forgotten about Jorah sending info about Dany back to Westeros (something he used to do but not for a long time).

In the books he's still sending messages as late on as Qarth,
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there 'Previously On ...' clips in the US? We don't get those on Sky.
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Absolutely cracking ending with Tywin, Cersei and Tyrion and a fairly complex book plot got much simplified for the TV version which I think worked really well.

I can't quite remember the Cersei being married off storyline from the books. I know Tyrion toyed with her by suggesting she marry Theon or Balon Greyjoy but don't think either of these went ahead. Did they ever arrange a marriage for Cersei, with Wilas? Obviously all wedding plans changed after Tyrion fled leaving Tywin doing an Elvis.
    I assume this engagement will come to an end when Loras storms Dragonstone and gets wounded.

Shae has been conspicuously absent of late. Earlier I thought they were building up her character to maybe out-live the book version. now I'm not so sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had completely forgotten that Tyrion and Sansa got married.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Are there 'Previously On ...' clips in the US? We don't get those on Sky.

I can't quite remember the Cersei being married off storyline from the books. I know Tyrion toyed with her by suggesting she marry Theon or Balon Greyjoy but don't think either of these went ahead. Did they ever arrange a marriage for Cersei, with Wilas? Obviously all wedding plans changed after Tyrion fled leaving Tywin doing an Elvis.
    I assume this engagement will come to an end when Loras storms Dragonstone and gets wounded.

Yeah they do a Previously on in the U.S.

In the books Tywin proposed a marriage between Cersei and Wilas but the Tyrells turned it down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't quite remember the Cersei being married off storyline from the books.

I'm not referring to Cersei being married off but to the Tyrell plot which ultimately results in Tyrion being forced to marry Sansa. They simplified it a great deal for the screen.
    In the books Tywin proposed a marriage between Cersei and Wilas but the Tyrells turned it down.

And this ^^
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a ridiculous sign of how well made this show is that I still get tense over things I already know about.

Robs bright idea to call on the Freys really had the hairs on the back of my neck rising.

It was the exact opposite to the emotion last week when Dany was buying her unsullied.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So based on this weeks episode it does look like it is going to end on the RW with the PW happening in season 4

anyone else agree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »
    So based on this weeks episode it does look like it is going to end on the RW with the PW happening in season 4

anyone else agree?

As EP09 is called The Rains of Castamere, I suspect the series is going to end with the aftermath of the RW. It would also tie in well with the penultimate episode of both S1 and S2 having some fairly epic story shockers in them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the Storm's End story line was done well too, good to see they've stuck with Shireen's greyscale and great to see Davos back on screen.

And that should obviously be Dragonstone not Storm's End :)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As EP09 is called The Rains of Castamere, I suspect the series is going to end with the aftermath of the RW. It would also tie in well with the penultimate episode of both S1 and S2 having some fairly epic story shockers in them :)

It will be interesting to see if the Red Wedding has the same shock effect on non-booking reading tv viewers as it did to most of us.

When people first start reading the books I think the first assumption you make is that the story is going to be about the 'good/heroic' Starks against the villainous Lannisters. The death of Ned and the 'scattering' of the Stark children knocks that a bit but as a book reader I was still assuming that Rob would be the main focus of the story going forward. So to have him killed at the end of book 3 was a massive moment.

With the tv series though I get more of an impression that he is one storyline amongst many. Maybe that's just because i obviously know that he won't be around for much longer (a bit like Renly) so i'm not fixated on his story but still i'm excited to see how the non-book viewers feel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see if the Red Wedding has the same shock effect on non-booking reading tv viewers as it did to most of us.

When people first start reading the books I think the first assumption you make is that the story is going to be about the 'good/heroic' Starks against the villainous Lannisters. The death of Ned and the 'scattering' of the Stark children knocks that a bit but as a book reader I was still assuming that Rob would be the main focus of the story going forward. So to have him killed at the end of book 3 was a massive moment.

With the tv series though I get more of an impression that he is one storyline amongst many. Maybe that's just because i obviously know that he won't be around for much longer (a bit like Renly) so i'm not fixated on his story but still i'm excited to see how the non-book viewers feel.

From what I've seen, heard and read I think the majority of tv only viewers will be very shocked (especially considering the manner in which it happens i.e. a planned assassination as opposed to in battle, also the viciousness and spitefulness of it) but there are some new viewers that are predicting Robb being a goner this season, such as quite a few on the Television Without Pity unspoiled speculation thread. However, in total viewership numbers they are obviously a minority but I believe they will be shocked by the how if not the why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why tv Robb choose Casterly Rock as the objective to rally his troops behind instead of Winterfell or the North.
    It would have been more in-keeping with the books to have had them marching home to retake the North. Also it would have made the Frey's timportant for a better reason than just troops. The same reason as before the bridge.
    I remember the part of the books where they were planning their assault on the North, how they were going to flank the enemy. I was actually looking forward to the retaking of the North, so the RW was a little disappointing in that I wouldn't get that.

Just seems a strange alteration to the books. I get most of the changes being required by the constraints of tv but this doesn't seem like it was needed for simplicity or budget reasons.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why tv Robb choose Casterly Rock as the objective to rally his troops behind instead of Winterfell or the North.
    It would have been more in-keeping with the books to have had them marching home to retake the North. Also it would have made the Frey's timportant for a better reason than just troops. The same reason as before the bridge.
    I remember the part of the books where they were planning their assault on the North, how they were going to flank the enemy. I was actually looking forward to the retaking of the North, so the RW was a little disappointing in that I wouldn't get that.

Just seems a strange alteration to the books. I get most of the changes being required by the constraints of tv but this doesn't seem like it was needed for simplicity or budget reasons.

Robb has to go to see Walder Frey, and he already said in the last episode that he can't return to Winterfell as he'd lose the rest of his army if his men got comfortable back home with their families. Therefore he needs somewhere to attack (even if we know that he never does) so Casterly Rock is as good as anywhere.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like this entirely season is basically just a count-down towards the RW. It's even a bit difficult to pay attention to other stuff that is going on, knowing what is coming. I hope they do it justice. I think it will be shocking, as well as everything else, to have multiple major characters bumped off in one swoop.

I wonder if we'll get to see Dark Catelyn at the end of the season. I think they could do more with her than in the books, and it would be quite a nice way to end the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robb has to go to see Walder Frey, and he already said in the last episode that he can't return to Winterfell as he'd lose the rest of his army if his men got comfortable back home with their families. Therefore he needs somewhere to attack (even if we know that he never does) so Casterly Rock is as good as anywhere.

I follow the reasoning put forward in the series but what I'm puzzled by is why the series decided that Robb going North was a bad idea. In the books he was planning to march North and free his people from the Iron Islands Men and restore Winterfell.
    The series usually makes changes to simplify the story but Robb heading North is logical and simple and changing it to Casterly Rock does not make the series easier to film in any way. So it just seems an odd detail to change. I'm not complaining really, it's of little consequence to the story and none to the outcome. Just curious is all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll get to see Dark Catelyn at the end of the season. I think they could do more with her than in the books, and it would be quite a nice way to end the season.

Personally I don't think so. I think there should be a little time passing before she appears.
    Was it in the prologue of book 4 that she appeared? When they hung one of the Freys. That would have her appearing towards the end of season 4 or early season 5 if they kept her appearice at the same time. Of course they are playing around with the timelines a little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think so. I think there should be a little time passing before she appears.
    Was it in the prologue of book 4 that she appeared? When they hung one of the Freys. That would have her appearing towards the end of season 4 or early season 5 if they kept her appearice at the same time. Of course they are playing around with the timelines a little.

Doesn't Dark Catelyn only appear once (in the books) from my memory. So, they'd have to keep the actress on a retainer or something and ask her to commit to soemthing in a few years. If they do the resurrection segment very soon, they can get round that and let the actress finish her contract with the show.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I follow the reasoning put forward in the series but what I'm puzzled by is why the series decided that Robb going North was a bad idea. In the books he was planning to march North and free his people from the Iron Islands Men and restore Winterfell.
    The series usually makes changes to simplify the story but Robb heading North is logical and simple and changing it to Casterly Rock does not make the series easier to film in any way. So it just seems an odd detail to change. I'm not complaining really, it's of little consequence to the story and none to the outcome. Just curious is all...

My memory of the book is cloudy but I thought they left Riverrun to attend Edmure's wedding at the Twins, with the intention of getting Walder's lot on board, then turn back south with a larger army. Can't really remember. I'll have to have a read tonight. :)