Firefox v29 Out

GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just got it through the auto-update, and its had an overhaul, im liking it. :)

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just visited the Mozilla site and they only have the 28 release available for download.
  • Boneman1946Boneman1946 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've just visited the Mozilla site and they only have the 28 release available for download.

Try via Help: Check for updates. Worked for me :p
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try via Help: Check for updates. Worked for me :p

Thats how i picked it up as well, changes fit in well with the theme im using, FX Chrome.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    It looks and feels like Chrome, but without any of the rubbish you get with Chrome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    It looks and feels like Chrome, but without any of the rubbish you get with Chrome.

It really does look a lot like Chrome. I'd have preferred the traditional look and a faster and lighter feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The start up loading time seems to have improved with this update. It only took 5 seconds to make an appearance whereas before, it was 9. I think rendering speed has improved a lot. It definitely feels quite a bit 'lighter' now. From what I've seen, it seems to render as fast, or nearly as fast, as Chrome does. Yep, quite impressed with it.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Finally Firefox release a version worthy of a major version number change.

Will have to check it out more thoroughly but first impressions are good.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    This has been out for a week or so now I think. I've had to return to 29 as they have just cocked up 31 with one of the nightly updates. So until that is fixed I'll stick with 29.
    It is much faster than what went before. Everything seems a lot smoother.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what I have done, but I have lost the bookmarks toolbar in V29.

Edit: Not to worry, I have got them back by restoring defaults.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Not sure what I have done, but I have lost the bookmarks toolbar in V29.

Edit: Not to worry, I have got them back by restoring defaults.

I was just about to say View -> Toolbars -> Bookmarks Toolbar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just about to say View -> Toolbars -> Bookmarks Toolbar.
    It was odd, I had done all that and everything said I should be seeing them, but they were not there.

By the way, is there any way of spacing out the icons in the main toolbar? I would like to be able to reduce the width of the address bar and search bar and leave some space among the other items. It all just seems rather cramped up.

In some earlier versions you could add spaces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was odd, I had done all that and everything said I should be seeing them, but they were not there.

By the way, is there any way of spacing out the icons in the main toolbar? I would like to be able to reduce the width of the address bar and search bar and leave some space among the other items. It all just seems rather cramped up.

Place the mouse at very end of the address bar and you should see the mouse change to an arrow pointing left and right. You can then drag the address bar further to the left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Place the mouse at very end of the address bar and you should see the mouse change to an arrow pointing left and right. You can then drag the address bar further to the left.
    All that seems to do is change the share between the address and search bars but keeping the total between them the same. It still does not allow me to space out the other icons at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The start up loading time seems to have improved with this update. It only took 5 seconds to make an appearance whereas before, it was 9. I think rendering speed has improved a lot. It definitely feels quite a bit 'lighter' now. From what I've seen, it seems to render as fast, or nearly as fast, as Chrome does. Yep, quite impressed with it.

I must have opened the browser after the update installed. I thought I opened it after I shut down the laptop. It still takes 9 seconds to make an appearance. However, it gets to the Google screen at about 10 seconds. Chrome takes quite a bit longer than that with a laptop HDD. Even though it takes 10 seconds to get to the Google logo after the system has loaded after being shut down, this is a big improvement over Chrome. I can imagine how fast this would be on an SSD. It seems that Chrome's weakness now is its startup time. The HDD goes absolutely mad when Chrome's been opened up after the laptop's been shut down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that seems to do is change the share between the address and search bars but keeping the total between them the same. It still does not allow me to space out the other icons at all.

Ah, right. I thought you just meant reduce the width of the address bar. I must have misread your post a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, right. I thought you just meant reduce the width of the address bar. I must have misread your post a bit.
    No, what I was looking for was
    I would like to be able to reduce the width of the address bar and search bar and leave some space among the other items. It all just seems rather cramped up.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First impressions - not impressed. There is a classic theme restorer extension. However, I'll try and stick with the new UI for a while and see if I get used to it.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah be able to get it back like v28 with the custom theme restorer if your're not happy with the changes.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First impressions - not impressed. There is a classic theme restorer extension. However, I'll try and stick with the new UI for a while and see if I get used to it.
    I've been using V29 Beta for a few weeks now, initially I installed Classic Theme Restorer extension, but after installing V29 Beta on two other machines a couple of days later (Firefox Sync is greatly improved), I dispensed with the addon and quickly (and effortlessly) learnt to use the new UI. I only had to install The Addon Bar (restored) extension installed (something that should never have been removed in the first place).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have stayed with the traditional look. It doesn't bother me really though. It does seem as if they're trying to copy off Chrome with this new look. It's kind of like someone getting a facelift and then ending up looking very different to what they were like before. They really only needed to improve on the rendering speed and startup speed. Other things as well, if there was any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I only had to install The Addon Bar (restored) extension installed (something that should never have been removed in the first place).

That's one thing that doesn't really bother me. However, some of my other customisations are destroyed by Auralis. So it's a matter of my seeing how I get on without them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have stayed with the traditional look. It doesn't bother me really though. It does seem as if they're trying to copy off Chrome with this new look.

All the browser vendors have been copying various aspects of Chrome for a while with mixed results IMO.

As far as UI revamps are concerned it's generally the case that even the tiniest of UI changes pisses off some users. E.g., we see this in the Chrome forums. So big UI changes can be expected to piss off lots, e.g., Windows 8.

Firefox could have been a bit more incremental with these changes. But at least, in the worst case, you can revert. Firefox is more flexible than Chrome in this respect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't find how to make buttons smaller :(

Original small buttons:
    http://s16.postimg.org/gmbp2iw45/Firefox_v1.jpg

New big buttons wasting space:
    http://s4.postimg.org/f04db3pbx/Firefox_v2.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I was running with small buttons. That's one reason why I might be forced to apply classic theme restorer (I assume it will also allow reversion to small buttons?).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭