London Taxi Drivers Protest Over Phone App

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
London's black cab drivers have pledged to 'make a stand' to protect their jobs in a bitter row over the use of Smart Phone apps to calculate fares.

Vincent McGonigle is one of up to 10,000 who will demonstrate tomorrow, claiming private hire firms who use the Uber app are breaking the law on taximeters:

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2014-06-10/taxi-drivers-strike-over-mobile-phone-fares-app/

Scotland Yard said it could prevent emergency services getting through.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone explain what this is all about? The article was very breif. There's an app which calculates the meter? What's the problem?

So passengers are using an app to calculate fees and taxis don't like this? Well just tell them you use your own meter fiteed onto the car instead :confused:
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what this is all about? The article was very breif. There's an app which calculates the meter? What's the problem?

So passengers are using an app to calculate fees and taxis don't like this? Well just tell them you use your own meter fiteed onto the car instead :confused:
    I might be wrong but I think it's more about private drivers being able to use the App to offer a preferable service and black hacks shitting themselves that they'll be put out of business because of it.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think it's more about private drivers being able to use the App to offer a preferable service and black hacks shitting themselves that they'll be put out of business because of it.

Which sounds fair considering black cab drivers study for 3 or 4 years to become one and anyone with a licence can be a mini cab driver
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legacy industries complaining about disruptive innovation.

Happens all the time.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which sounds fair considering black cab drivers study for 3 or 4 years to become one and anyone with a licence can be a mini cab driver
    They shouldn't have anything to worry about then. Yet they seem to be sweating.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats true but i am going to play devils advocate here.

Technology may well have made the "knowledge redundant" as with many industries.

The Black Cab drivers fear de-regulation just where were they when other industries de-regulated.?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just sounds like healthy competition
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minicabs aren't allowed to be flagged down and aren't allowed to use a meter - black cabs earn the right to do that - a customer using an app to flag down the nearest one and a meter to make sure they pay the right fair is bending the rules to say the least
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minicabs aren't allowed to be flagged down and aren't allowed to use a meter - black cabs earn the right to do that - a customer using an app to flag down the nearest one and a meter to make sure they pay the right fair is bending the rules to say the least

At the moment who knows what may happen in the future the de-regulation of the Black Cab trade is at a early stage yet.;-)
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of crying like a bunch of babies, perhaps it's about time that the black cabs embraced the 21st Century.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, Minicabs aren't allowed to be metered but the legal question is whether this app counts as a meter. If it measures time and distance and then calculates a fare, what else can it be?

I'm all for competition but it has to be legal. The law in this area just needs clarifying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We want our monopoly back.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats true but i am going to play devils advocate here.

Technology may well have made the "knowledge redundant" as with many industries.

The Black Cab drivers fear de-regulation just where were they when other industries de-regulated.?

I bet they where happily driving fares out to wapping when Murdoch instigated the demise of Fleet Street
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We want our monopoly back.

This is what it is all about.

We have seen it with the music and film industries and now we are seeing it here, but the genie is out if the bottle and it ain't going back in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    I bet they where happily driving fares out to wapping when Murdoch instigated the demise of Fleet Street

Yes very possibly and buying shares in the utilities under Mrs Thatcher.

There is a saying that comes to mind which is.

United we stand divided we fall,the Black Cab drivers are about to find that out those bastions of free market enterprise are about to feel the breeze of that doctrine.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Nice to see more people seem to share my POV this time around.

Sure, black cab drivers "do the knowledge" but I don't see anything wrong with customers being allowed to simply choose, for themselves, whether they hire a competent cabbie or a minicab with a driver of unknown competence.
    Seems like that option should be sufficient to help customers decide without needing artificial fare restrictions to help sway their choice.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The law in this area just needs clarifying.

Which is why tfl have sought judicial review
    http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/05/29/tfl-refers-uber-app-row-high-court-licensed-taxi-drivers-association-strike-still
    TfL’s provisional view is that these devices do not constitute the equipping of a vehicle with a ‘taximeter’. However, given the level of concern among the trade, and the fact that some of the legislation in this area is unclear and able to be interpreted in various ways, TfL is inviting the High Court to give a binding determination on this issue.
    . From http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2014/june/traffic-disruption-caused-by-taxi-protest-on-wednesday-11-june
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should just change the law to allow this sort of thing.

Modern tech capabilities trump the arbitrary and historic status/protection in question.

The black taxi drivers come across as arrogant, protectionist and stroppy as technology and enterprise have come up with a better system.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should being 'metered' and paying the correct amount for the journey possibly be exclusive to Hackneys?
    Imagine applying the same logic to non-Hackney fruit shops.
    "How much is that bunch of bananas please?"
    "Sorry, dunno I'm not allowed to weigh them, we'll have to guess"
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather a silly protest if you ask me, all people are doing is seeing roughly how much a fare will cost , you can do that already if you log into some mincab sites so its not much different. Also you can go online and calculate the rough costs of a black cab journey.

This app does nothing but give people some more info that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Rather a silly protest if you ask me, all people are doing is seeing roughly how much a fare will cost , you can do that already if you log into some mincab sites so its not much different. Also you can go online and calculate the rough costs of a black cab journey.

This app does nothing but give people some more info that's all.

For now it would not take much to tweak it to provide more info.:);-)

Such as er .................cost differentials between a Black Cab and Mini Cab.. ;-)
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

For now it would not take much to tweak it to provide more info.:);-)

Such as er .................cost differentials between a Black Cab and Mini Cab.. ;-)

Minimum fare is double in a minicab what it is in a black taxi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Minimum fare is double in a minicab what it is in a black taxi.

Hmm where i live in a minicab i can go 6 miles for £12 in a Black Cab its £15.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm where i live in a minicab i can go 6 miles for £12 in a Black Cab its £15.

Blame TFL. They set the rates, nothing to do with the drivers.

For short journeys though it's different,£5 min in a minicab, £2.60 in a black taxi.