Options

Please change Big Brother back to what it used to be!

StubeStube Posts: 16,834
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm sick of the borderline-famous housemates, the contrived and fixed format and the TOWIE style of BB on channel 5. It'd be a good show if it wasn't called Big Brother.

I want BB to return to what it was about in the first place. Isolate the housemates from the outside world completely, let the dynamics form naturally and not with obvious producer manipulation, let normal nominations happen on a regular basis, give a fair representation of every housemate rather than assassinating a character each week in order to get them evicted.

I know there's the argument that BB had evolved so much that it won't be successful if it returned to its earlier format but I think the time has come for it now and it'd gain more viewers rather than just the loyal fanbase.

It needs a major revamp if it wants any kind of future from here.

Comments

• Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Live feed please.
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma was right on BBBOTS; she said feeding the HMs too much info about how they are perceived by the public (during tasks, etc.), makes them change their behaviour in the house.

We want to see the the real reactions and emotions, and even the fake ones, without any outside influences.
  • Options
    olliehotolliehot Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agreed when its taken out of our control im talking about evicting the housemates and its not our decision thats its biggest mistake, should always be noms in diaryroom then we decide only.
  • Options
    bulldog rosiebulldog rosie Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    Emma was right on BBBOTS; she said feeding the HMs too much info about how they are perceived by the public (during tasks, etc.), makes them change their behaviour in the house.

We want to see the the real reactions and emotions, and even the fake ones, without any outside influences.

It's an interesting argument but the producers do have the original book 1984 on their side .....Big Brother could do whatever Big Brother wanted to crush opposition.
  • Options
    goldylookinfishgoldylookinfish Posts: 2,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread but ........

The rot set in when 'they' forced the relationship with Pete and Nikki in BB7. Putting her back in when the public had paid to get her out and allowing her to win the prize money (she didn't, he did), it made a sham of the whole thing and I've never voted since then.
    The whole process is one long manipulation from beginning to end, put a good and bad option on the eviction phone list by any means necessary and get lots of votes. No one cares - no one votes.

Without live feed this is what the show will always be, a sham.
  • Options
    OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Bring back Marjorie!!!!! I don't know how long chickens live so maybe that's not possible
  • Options
    PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    No-one would watch if it was as boring and lifeless as BB1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I always liked the old school tasks too. When they actually lasted the full 48-72 hours and required full team work, all night etc. And if they lost they didn't have any special treats for doing a silly secret task. What happens with cigarettes now, they never seem to be without?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one would watch if it was as boring and lifeless as BB1.

I'm not talking about BB1 - I'm talking about BB5 or BB6.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never going to happen...
    The mass market needs more gimmicks every year to compete with other shows that steal the best bits and add their own new ones

Its like asking bbc news tongonback to anstatic camera and static pictures no diagrams, no no reconstructions etc.... It would look flat and everyone would switch over to something better or dynamic looking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    I'm not talking about BB1 - I'm talking about BB5 or BB6.

Sleep deprevation wont happen again
    Last year we saw some people cant be putbin a secret room without mental problems

So sorry, not happening...

Plus bb5 was as structured, as planned profiled housemates it just isnt remembered that way... I.e peoples perceptions have changed
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I'm sick of the borderline-famous housemates, the contrived and fixed format and the TOWIE style of BB on channel 5. It'd be a good show if it wasn't called Big Brother.

I want BB to return to what it was about in the first place. Isolate the housemates from the outside world completely, let the dynamics form naturally and not with obvious producer manipulation, let normal nominations happen on a regular basis, give a fair representation of every housemate rather than assassinating a character each week in order to get them evicted.

I know there's the argument that BB had evolved so much that it won't be successful if it returned to its earlier format but I think the time has come for it now and it'd gain more viewers rather than just the loyal fanbase.

Perfect post and hopefully ch5 or endemol might start listening now the ratings are so awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    return to the original formats...this contrived jazzy spectacle is nothing like how the house was originally envisioned. Normal people...not wannabes Z listers. Live feed! no public communications or feedback.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    give a fair representation of every housemate rather than assassinating a character each week in order to get them evicted. .

They've always done that - look at Mel in BB1.

It would be nice if the show was as good as BB5-6, but
    a) It's all been done now, so its harder to come up with great stuff
    b) The show is less popular so gets less funding, so they can't match the BB5 days when it was one of C4's top priorities
    c) The show is less popular so you won't get a range of random people applying; it's mostly drama students and hasbeens.
  • Options
    PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    They just need to select better housemates. Last year was ruined by Sam Evans, this year was ruined by Ashleigh Coyle.
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They just need to select better housemates. Last year was ruined by Sam Evans, this year was ruined by Ashleigh Coyle.

What this actually means is you want even more profiled selected hoisemates... Ie the opposite to what others think is the fix.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    Perfect post and hopefully ch5 or endemol might start listening now the ratings are so awful.

If the ratings are really bad the new American group Viacom who took over C5 may well cancel the show .

I have a feeling this could be the last be BB .
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't enjoyed this series much at all. To many hha;f famous people and too much fixing things wiith this power rubbish. We've hardly had proper noms this series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    If the ratings are really bad the new American group Viacom who took over C5 may well cancel the show .

I have a feeling this could be the last be BB .

Ratings are relative... And very few posts on this forum correctly relate them to expertations or demographic breakdown...

Viacom has plans for c5 which is irrelevant to past shows.. Bb may or may not fit. And you have to factor in who owns the rights in other markets and who wants the draw... Again too complicated for the arguments generally on here!
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the changes were pulling in amazing numbers you could understand them keeping the format. Its not worked its definitely lost its original identity which seems crazy. TOWIE pulls In 700k viewers BB Is more than capable of doing close to 2 million even now.
    I fully expected this series to have everything but the kitchen sink flung at viewers. Twists cost nothing but get viewers talking (even in anger).

I don't think it would ever go back to the original format no TV channel would have the guts to try that now. But these HM's selected off various agencies must stop or at least get a better mix of people. Live feed back is a must and the non stop meddling with noms outside information also must end.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss old big brother too. I liked it when they had normal housemates that didn't seemed fussed about becoming famous. Now we get people that play up to the cameras and desperately want to be famous when they get out. I just want to watch real people. Not fakers!
  • Options
    millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    I miss old big brother too. I liked it when they had normal housemates that didn't seemed fussed about becoming famous. Now we get people that play up to the cameras and desperately want to be famous when they get out. I just want to watch real people. Not fakers!

I agree with you, back to the old style big brother. There was a better selection of housemate in the older big brother. Different age groups and different characters. Most of the contestants this year have agents and thats before they go in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never going to happen...
    The mass market needs more gimmicks every year to compete with other shows that steal the best bits and add their own new ones

Its like asking bbc news tongonback to anstatic camera and static pictures no diagrams, no no reconstructions etc.... It would look flat and everyone would switch over to something better or dynamic looking

That comparison doesn't work. I'm talking about BB going back to its original format because at the end of the day the premise of the show was isolating housemates completely from the outside world and to see how things manifest over a long period without any shit-stirring from BB or the public to influence things. It can still be an extremely entertaining show without making it lose its identity. For example, the casting could be far better.

At the end of the day, the producers might as well try a back-to-basics series like old times. The nostalgia of it all could easily bring back past viewers who think the show is a joke now.
  • Options
    4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I agree I miss it too :(