Options

Why do people still pay for music?

124»

Comments

• Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Yes, so many bands have to take second jobs or just tour their asses off, in order to make any money. There's even situations where band members leave because they can't face a heavy touring schedule. Yet so many people think it's ok to download illegally, thus denying musicians the ability to earn a proper living.

aw that's sad :(
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, so many bands have to take second jobs or just tour their asses off, in order to make any money. There's even situations where band members leave because they can't face a heavy touring schedule. Yet so many people think it's ok to download illegally, thus denying musicians the ability to earn a proper living.

But it's incredible the number of people that think that being a musician with even a moderate amount of recognition automatically means they are swimming in money.

This musician=millionaire notion is an incredibly pernicious misconception.

The fact is you have probably got more chance of ending up a millionaire if you start working on the checkout in Tesco than by starting a career as a musician. You've definitely got a better chance of earning a decent living anyway.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »
    aw that's sad :(

Yes, it is.
    But it's incredible the number of people that think that being a musician with even a moderate amount of recognition automatically means they are swimming in money.

This musician=millionaire notion is an incredibly pernicious misconception.

The fact is you have probably got more chance of ending up a millionaire if you start working on the checkout in Tesco than by starting a career as a musician. You've definitely got a better chance of earning a decent living anyway.

My favourite Metal band lost four (out of six) members in March 2012 because the band's upcoming tour schedule - something like 150 gigs all over Europe & USA over a 12 month period - would be putting too big a strain on their domestic lives.

Now, this isn't a tiny band just starting out. They're actually reasonably big on the European Metal scene & signed to one of the biggest Metal labels but this is the reality for most bands these days. They can't compete with the Pirate Bay "100% discount", so have to tour a lot & rely on selling merchandise, just to keep going.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of artists i like have started doing signings after ALL their gigs. It's a great way to get the downloaders to put their hand in their pocket for once.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is.

My favourite Metal band lost four (out of six) members in March 2012 because the band's upcoming tour schedule - something like 150 gigs all over Europe & USA over a 12 month period - would be putting too big a strain on their domestic lives.

Now, this isn't a tiny band just starting out. They're actually reasonably big on the European Metal scene & signed to one of the biggest Metal labels but this is the reality for most bands these days. They can't compete with the Pirate Bay "100% discount", so have to tour a lot & rely on selling merchandise, just to keep going.

Some friends of mine were pretty established on the metal scene as well. Two well received albums and a decent draw on the festival circuit. They would spend six months of the year flogging their guts out on the road around the world and then another six months at home working shitty jobs to try and pay off the debts they incurred through recording and touring.

They did well to do five years from first album to farewell tour. They're now all home working the covers circuit and earning much more money for much less work than they ever did before.

Unfortunately it's creatively redundant but at least now they can put some food on the table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some friends of mine were pretty established on the metal scene as well. Two well received albums and a decent draw on the festival circuit. They would spend six months of the year flogging their guts out on the road around the world and then another six months at home working shitty jobs to try and pay off the debts they incurred through recording and touring.

They did well to do five years from first album to farewell tour. They're now all home working the covers circuit and earning much more money for much less work than they ever did before.

Unfortunately it's creatively redundant but at least now they can put some food on the table.

Such a bloody shame. :( Which band was that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    A lot of artists i like have started doing signings after ALL their gigs. It's a great way to get the downloaders to put their hand in their pocket for once.

Only if they restrict the signing to their merchandise though. A lot will still happily just sign gig tickets, boobs etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just taking this from the Facebook page of another of my favourite bands. Someone down the page accused them of being sellouts for holding a fan competition. Here's their reply

Wintersun - "Jarik, we took 6 years to make an album. We turned down countless tours, shows, festivals. We didnt earn any money in 6 years. So finally when we get a chance to do some touring we should do it for free as well? Shirts are the most income we can earn. Playing shows we still pay flights,overweights( which sometimes can be 2000 euros from one festival weekend),we pay for the crew etc. This dinner we pay as well so it is just something we wanted to do for the fans and get some interaction. I think we havent become sellouts as we still put everything in the music and not the money, but as you know we also try to live as musicians... Otherwise you can expect the albums to take even longer to make as your time to handle another 'job' as well.
    Nobody can force anybody to buy anything anyway, right?;)
    Everybody has a right to have an opinion anyway, but what do i know. I am just a drummer.".

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151767875562402&set=a.10151063141622402.457619.8120427401&type=1&theater

ETA - for the record, I have a physical copy of their new album :)
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this one is taken from Orange Goblin FB page, it shows that bands have to rely on the kindness of others as the record label don't just throw money at a tour

"HELP!! Do any of our friends in Germany have or know anyone who has a splitter van or van with a trailer to get us through to the end of the tour?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    this one is taken from Orange Goblin FB page, it shows that bands have to rely on the kindness of others as the record label don't just throw money at a tour

"HELP!! Do any of our friends in Germany have or know anyone who has a splitter van or van with a trailer to get us through to the end of the tour?"

Yes, I saw that a couple of days ago. Bands shouldn't need to do that. Ok, they're not a very big band but the principle remains. Anyway, they did manage to finish the tour :)
    http://www.facebook.com/orangegoblinofficial?fref=ts

ETA - Sometimes bands have to rely on the kindness of other bands. In 2011 Sabaton had nine dates supporting Scorpions in Russia. Due to the distances & schedule, this would've involved having to fly everywhere. Once they'd looked at the cost, they realised they couldn't afford to do it & told Scorpions they'd have to pull out. Instead of getting alternative support, Scorpions immediately told them they could travel with them on their chartered plane. :)
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As had been said with the likes of Spotify and YouTube in existence, there really is no reason to show such blatant disrespect and immorality as to illegally download an artist's work.

Personally, the only time I ever illegally download is when it's an old album I would have only brought a second hand copy of through ebay anyway.