PlayStation 4 Day 1 Patch

Comments

• Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Are people really complaining about this?

Be thankful you're not getting your eyes taken out by Microsoft and the Xbone.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsofts vcr will probably get a quick update too
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently when blu ray came out there were updates, don't know why. YOu needed them to watch your movies.

Anyways i am happy about day 1 update. So we can see how fast is it, and also maybe test back ground updates as well
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Microsofts vcr will probably get a quick update too

On Xbox One the day one update is essential. It can't even be used to play games without it.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orzie wrote: »
    Oh no playstation 4 needs an Internet connection to be able to use blueray out of the box.what about all the people without an Internet connection do the just use it as a paper weight?

You must be joking surely :confused: If someone has £350 minimum to spend on a next generation console but can't afford even a basic ADSL connection then they have their priorities all wrong IMHO. If you are buying a next gen console and don't have an Internet connection you have to ask what you are buying it for, most of the features that distinguish the next gen from the current gen (graphics aside obviously) require Internet connectivity. If you don't have a connection then you might as well stick to the current gen as you aren't going to get the best out of the next gen without one. In fact you are barely seeing the capabilities of this gen TBH with great services like the Playstation Store and PS+ and all the streaming video services.

Really if you want to play entirely offline you might as well go find an old PS2 :p modern consoles are meant to be online, period.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you mean that as a positive when you say it, but it sounds awful.

Also, my PS3 is offline and it's the best console I've ever had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you mean that as a positive when you say it, but it sounds awful.

Yeah, totally mean it as a positive. Don't get me wrong, you can have fun offline but when I started using Playstation Store, PS+ and Streaming movie services like Netflix etc a whole new world of entertainment opened up to me and I was like wow, why didn't I do this much sooner. Now I am actively moving towards having all my games downloaded to the console ready to play whenever thanks to PS+ and gradually selling off my boxed games as I buy and sometimes get for them for free ( thanks PS+ :D ) digitally.

It is a shame for people outside of cities and who want to be connected but can only get marginal ADSL or patchy 3G and I do think a lot more should be done to connect those as in the modern world I think they are really missing out on the entertainment that SHOULD be available to them.

I'm just grateful I have cable and even if it got too expensive and I had to leave the ADSL is pretty fast here too. :)

RE the day one update, I think it was always going to be necessary to avoid delays and Sony have done a very good job of keeping the overall file size down so even those on patchy connections should be able to get it in an acceptable time. Compared to the Wii U update it is tiny and opens up a lot more features than that update too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally in support of the online features that people enjoy, even if they're not for me, it's just the increasing preference and compulsory nature of them that dismays me.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally in support of the online features that people enjoy, even if they're not for me, it's just the increasing preference and compulsory nature of them that dismays me.

The good old days of the old consoles where there was no online or updating are gone. Everything is now becoming internet dependant. Even Blu Ray players need updates to function.

Embrace it!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are gettign a PS4 and don't have an internet connection, they just have t go to their nearest library/family member/friend where the can get online, download the firmware to a usb stick and install it to the PS4 from there. They are being given fair warning and have two weeks between the US release and us getting it to download the firmware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    The good old days of the old consoles where there was no online or updating are gone. Everything is now becoming internet dependant. Even Blu Ray players need updates to function.

Embrace it!
    Not as long as it encourages companies to release unfinished products I won't :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between adding new features and fixing bugs etc and having to install an update just to get features that should have come out the box though.
    Doing that increases lead time dramatically.

Critical Path Method/Analysis, my friend.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Microsofts vcr

LOL:D

Sony put out a useful FAQ on digital game and feature sharing etc. It answered one of my main concerns about having to buy mulitple PS+ subs to enable multiple users in the same house to play online
    Sharing benefits from PlayStation®Plus
    If you join PlayStation®Plus, benefits such as online multiplayer features that come with that membership can be enjoyed by users who share your PS4™ system. You do not have to log in to the system for other users to enjoy these benefits.

So - that's a relief.

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/ps4-faq/

The feature set for 1.5 looks great - being able to download content in stand-by mode is a nice feature. The voice-commands stuff is of no interest to me really but it is interesting to see Sony just casually announce it like this.

I am looking forward to trying out the new PS app - it sounds pretty much fully featured.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they also said that other users on your ps4 can log in when playing say co op.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as long as it encourages companies to release unfinished products I won't :p

Well, you'll miss out then on the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you'll miss out then on the future.
    You'll know the answer.

Can you give clarification on Shu's tweet suggesting that actually games are not fully installed, rather you have the traditional smaller mandatory install at the start to get the game up and running and all other data is cached not installed, meaning you won't run out of space after playing 10 games and if so if that cache is like a set allotment of space that constantly gets overwritten or if it can consume the entire drive before being overwritten?
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    People really kicking off over a day 1 patch?

WOW.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member

Yeah, seems everything is released in an almost ready state, with the expectation that you'll download a large patch to complete it - unacceptable behaviour in my opinion, but they all seem to do it.

I thought the idea of a patch was to fix unanticipated errors that had cropped up between creation and release, not to add things that should already be there.

Maybe the car companies will start down this route next? When you buy a new Ford Focus you'll get the car and the engine... just needs a little installing. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, seems everything is released in an almost ready state, with the expectation that you'll download a large patch to complete it - unacceptable behaviour in my opinion, but they all seem to do it.

I thought the idea of a patch was to fix unanticipated errors that had cropped up between creation and release, not to add things that should already be there.

I agree the release it nearly finished and patch it later ethos is a negative consoles seem to have inherited from the PC since they had HDDs as standard and went online in this generation. However, I think there is a trade off too as before the current generation console patches were impossible so the released game was sometimes a more 'complete' product but the trade off was that it would never get any better either and nothing could be added to expand upon it in the future or improve performance etc.

Personally, I happy enough to put up with the patch it ethos as it at least means we can enjoy new features and enhancements that were simply not possible when games couldn't be patched. In fact I actually like it when I see a game I play has a patch released as I kind of feel like I am getting a product that is probably more bug free or better optimised than a game that is just released as is and never gets a patch (surely a rarity these days).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe the car companies will start down this route next? When you buy a new Ford Focus you'll get the car and the engine... just needs a little installing. :D
    It isn't a patch - it is an update.

They're features, not fixes.

The big manufacturing lead time means that you need your software ready months in advance - to do things in the least time (the 'critical path'), it makes sense to begin manufacturing whilst you complete features and use the internet as the delivery method for them.

You'll notice that the features are generally for internet related things. The console can play games without the update.

Oh also you can download it now, http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2013_1028/sys_c64d11f839ac8628176941b99fd3670e/PS4UPDATE.PUP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

The big manufacturing lead time means that you need your software ready months in advance - to do things in the least time (the 'critical path'), it makes sense to begin manufacturing whilst you complete features and use the internet as the delivery method for them.

You'll notice that the features are generally for internet related things. The console can play games without the update.

Oh also you can download it now, http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2013_1028/sys_c64d11f839ac8628176941b99fd3670e/PS4UPDATE.PUP

So, I'm assuming we can download that now, transfer it to a memory stick, and install it on launch day without getting bogged down by busy servers?

If so, any news on the file path?
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »

Semantics - you can substitute Update for Patch in my post and it would just as easily apply.

So watching a DVD/Blu-Ray is an "internet related" thing these days?

Sorry, but releasing anything with features missing/added by an update or to follow at a later date is just proof that you are rushing your product out too soon.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but releasing anything with features missing/added by an update or to follow at a later date is just proof that you are rushing your product out too soon.

The problem as I see it is that as a developer you can get you game / system into production and even start shipping in a lot of cases before you finish your work. In past generation all this work would have had to be done before the system / game went 'gold' but now you can have additional development time afterwards.

Its a double edge sword really as it can be really good, but its quite a risk to leave too much past going 'gold' as you have to release once production and shipping has started.

Its not really a practice I like as it results in too many unfinished games at launch and by the sounds of things the system may be suffering the same fate games have for a lot of this generation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semantics - you can substitute Update for Patch in my post and it would just as easily apply.

So watching a DVD/Blu-Ray is an "internet related" thing these days?

PS4s have been sitting in warehouses, boxed up and ready for shipping for months, base firmware intact. It is a workable games machine out of the box.

By continuously enhancing the firmware over time, it means a more comprehensive experience for buyers for launch day and beyond.

Most of the features being added are online related anyway, so anyone that isn't online won't be missing out on anything.

With regard to the Blu-ray / DVD playback, there could be a number of reasons. If you read the official Sony blurb it actually says " When using [DVD/Blu-ray] for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature." So, the appropriate software may already be there, it is just an activation that is needed. This could be a licencing situation (as with DivX on PS3) or it could be for a financial reason - by shipping PS4s "without" DVD/BD functionality could be avoiding a licencing or taxation levy helping keep the cost of the hardware down. (Microsoft did a similar thing with the original Xbox)

Even now, PS3 and Xbox 360 are having new features added. Would you regard either of those systems as being "unfinished"?
    Forum Member
    PS4s have been sitting in warehouses, boxed up and ready for shipping for months, base firmware intact. It is a workable games machine out of the box.

By continuously enhancing the firmware over time, it means a more comprehensive experience for buyers for launch day and beyond.

Most of the features being added are online related anyway, so anyone that isn't online won't be missing out on anything.

With regard to the Blu-ray / DVD playback, there could be a number of reasons. If you read the official Sony blurb it actually says " When using [DVD/Blu-ray] for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature." So, the appropriate software may already be there, it is just an activation that is needed. This could be a licencing situation (as with DivX on PS3) or it could be for a financial reason - by shipping PS4s "without" DVD/BD functionality could be avoiding a licencing or taxation levy helping keep the cost of the hardware down. (Microsoft did a similar thing with the original Xbox)

Even now, PS3 and Xbox 360 are having new features added. Would you regard either of those systems as being "unfinished"?

BIB - new features, as in things that are new. Not things that it is supposed to have already, but either don't work or will need an update inorder to start working.