iPhone 5 Tethering on 3's The One Plan

2»

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...it's a big commitment £36 x 24months for trial only :D..

And in this instance the warranty only covers you for the first 12 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The iPhone 4s is only HSDPA 14.4Mbps so i would not recommend it. .

Many home broadbands do not achieve 14.4 yet people are fine with it.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Many home broadbands do not achieve 14.4 yet people are fine with it.

Yeh but for £2pm a month more it makes sense to go for the better phone. Besides, you'll get much much faster speeds on the 5 compared to the 4. i've seen up to 25mbps on DC-HSPA+ device but i've never seen more than half of that on HSDPA device.

What phone do you have now? (if you're on three?) and what type of speeds do you see at your home/main location of use?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Yeh but for £2pm a month more it makes sense to go for the better phone"

I'd be hard pushed to pay more than £50 for a 4s, so if ever only a choice between Apple and Apple, then the £864 5 becomes the no brainier.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in this instance the warranty only covers you for the first 12 months.

so what happens if it broke 10 months before the end of the contract? Surely if the contract is for 24 months so should the warranty.

How can they still charge customers for the service that can't be used due to hardware fault etc?

This is rip off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what happens if it broke 10 months before the end of the contract?
    The phone is always classed as a free gift so essentially has little to do with the contract.
    It just happens to be a common way to buy a phone without stumping up cash all in one go.

And maybe this explains the massive popularity of the Nexus 4.
    Forum Member
    so what happens if it broke 10 months before the end of the contract? Surely if the contract is for 24 months so should the warranty.

How can they still charge customers for the service that can't be used due to hardware fault etc?

This is rip off!

It's an iPhone from apple. They only do 12 month warranties. Go with any other device if you want a 24 month warranty.

However, you are covered for the full 24months by law but after 12 months its up to you to prove it's a hardware fault.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone is always classed as a free gift so essentially has little to do with the contract.
    It just happens to be a common way to buy a phone without stumping up cash all in one go.

And maybe this explains the massive popularity of the Nexus 4.

I wouldn't class it as a free gift considering the amount they charge monthly these days. I don't know the reason why Nexus is popular.

Is it covered for 24 months then?
    It's an iPhone from apple. They only do 12 month warranties. Go with any other device if you want a 24 month warranty.

However, you are covered for the full 24months by law but after 12 months its up to you to prove it's a hardware fault.

Thanks for the advice I would probably go with any other device because it is too much of risk to sign 24 months contract when the warranty covers only 12 months.

Strange how they get away with it.

Edit: just to add that if Iphone only do 12 months warranties and the rest should be covered by the mobile phone companies that impose longer term contracts than the warranty period.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't class it as a free gift considering the amount they charge monthly these days. I don't know the reason why Nexus is popular.

Is it covered for 24 months then?

Thanks for the advice I would probably go with any other device because it is too much of risk to sign 24 months contract when the warranty covers only 12 months.

Strange how they get away with it.

Edit: just to add that if Iphone only do 12 months warranties and the rest should be covered by the mobile phone companies that impose longer term contracts than the warranty period.

I think i phrased what i wanted to say a bit badly.

Iphones only have 12 month warranty with apple no matter who you buy it from. If anything goes wrong during the 12 months then apple will repair/replace the phone. After 12 months that is when consumer law comes into play- http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
    Basically you have to prove there was a fault with the iPhone from when you got it.

Any other handset from any other manufacturer comes with a 24 month warranty on contract. It's just apple who do one year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any other handset from any other manufacturer comes with a 24 month warranty on contract. It's just apple who do one year.

Do other phones really come with a 24 month manufacturer's warranty? I'm surprised by that.

EDIT: I've just done a bit of digging and it seems most manufacturers apart from Apple and LG provide a 24 month warranty for contract phones. Many of them only cover the battery for six months though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do other phones really come with a 24 month manufacturer's warranty?
    Since the advent of smartphones and long contracts they chose to adhere to EU regulations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the advent of smartphones and long contracts they chose to adhere to EU regulations.

Are you saying Apple and LG are breaching these regulations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying Apple and LG are breaching these regulations?

Its as much a directive and Britain seemingly opted out.
    I suspect our trading standards department think its better that we ignore stuff that is good for the consumer.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK's Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) already provides up to six years of protection (up to five in Scotland) for inherent faults... more than the EU-wide two year statutory warranty.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. :) Personally, I would much rather buy the phone outright and get the 1 month One Plan as with the way networks are b******** about with tethering/speed caps etc I would be nervous about committing to 2 years. But maybe that's just me...
    If you are worried about the network changing the terms of the contract on tethering then you absolutely want to be on a 2 year contract not a 1 month rolling contract e.g. only those who signed up for T-Mobile's Full Monty in the first six months still have tethering permitted. When I got my iPhone 4S on Three's One Plan over 24 months there was a considerable saving over buying the phone outright from Apple not least because I got £110 cashback from Quidco.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can opt to purchase AppleCare which extends the warranty to 24 months for about £60. Just factor the cost of AppleCare in. The Apple warranty is also much better than the basic warranty provided by other manufacturers not least because you can walk into an Apple Store pretty much anywhere worldwide with a dead phone & walk out with a working replacement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to dig this thread up, but I am on Three with an iphone 5, and when I tethered to my laptop over Bluetooth I got a message upon starting the Internet that tethering wasn't allowed. I had to restart my iphone because the Internet wouldn't even work on that until I did! I am on the Ultimate Internet 500 tariff which includes all-you-can-eat data. How come Three don't let me tether?!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guitardave wrote: »
    Sorry to dig this thread up, but I am on Three with an iphone 5, and when I tethered to my laptop over Bluetooth I got a message upon starting the Internet that tethering wasn't allowed. I had to restart my iphone because the Internet wouldn't even work on that until I did! I am on the Ultimate Internet 500 tariff which includes all-you-can-eat data. How come Three don't let me tether?!

Tethering is only allowed on the One Plan.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think 3 only allow tethering on the 'One' plan.

edit: as said above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, ok. Disappointing, but thanks for clearing that up. Any workarounds that anyone knows of?...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nigelbb wrote: »
    You can opt to purchase AppleCare which extends the warranty to 24 months for about ...
    £80.

However unlike the standard 2 year warranty on other phones, this includes accidental damage at £55 extra per incident.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, ok. Disappointing, but thanks for clearing that up. Any workarounds that anyone knows of?...

Well the most obvious solution would be to upgrade your Ultimate Internet to the One Plan and pay for the service you want to use!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, I just wanted to see if there was a way to do it for free before I start spending even more on top of the 30-odd pounds I already pay Three each month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys know the Apple Warranty on the iPhone is 2 years as standard in the EU right?

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    You guys know the Apple Warranty on the iPhone is 2 years as standard in the EU right?

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Except it's a bit different. With Apple's 1 year warranty it's up to Apple to prove the fault is not covered by warranty. If they can't then they fix it free of charge. After the 1 year it is up to you to prove the fault would be covered by a warranty so that Apple fix it free of charge.

This is different to a standard 2 year warranty where you wouldn't have to prove the fault to the manufacturer.