Cricket; live web stream from Trent Bridge.

howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://live.trentbridge.co.uk/#stream :p
*Note - I'm not getting any bacground sound?

Great to see a county has finally decided to go live with their webcam. OK, it's not the camera from both ends all-singing-all-dancing Sky output, but for the average county fan - or the bloke at work - who just wants to see what's going on with the help of a scoreboard and maybe the BBC commentary, it will do nicely thank you.

Just wish Lancashire would do the same, but now it's up and running hopefully it will become more popular. Personally I'd chip in a few quid to help towards the costs of a reasonable 720 picture if it meant I could keep my eye on Lanky's tumbling wickets >:(

Comments

• BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Not a great surprise.
    ECB have been saying for a while that they want live streaming for county games so this is a good start.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Not a great surprise.
    ECB have been saying for a while that they want live streaming for county games so this is a good start.

What will happen now is
    (a) it will become very popular amongst county fans (my county's messageboard have already given it a + and it's not even our game)
    (b) Sky will want to get their hands on it
    (c) Sky will get the rights to each county's webcast, stream it on Sky Something-or-other and charge a huge fee for it
    (d) County cricket fans will say *no thanks*, viewers will drop and thet whole thing will be considered an abject failure and will never be tried again.

I just hope the ECB see sense and accept this is a way to (re) connect county fans to the game, and I'd happily pay the ECB or my own county a small sub to cover the costs (but nothing like the amount Sky charge).

If Sky are covering a particular game they can block the webcam for that game to keep their rights intact.
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Not sure Sky are interested in County cricket.
    I believe a tie up with BBC is possible though and ECB are not doing this for the money they essentially want to follow CA and NZ lead where most or all First Class games/A tours and even Under 19 games are streamed live.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Not sure Sky are interested in County cricket.
    I believe a tie up with BBC is possible though and ECB are not doing this for the money they essentially want to follow CA and NZ lead where most or all First Class games/A tours and even Under 19 games are streamed live.

Certainly not the county championship, they show, what, three/four games a season? And with the other games (50 overs, 20/20) the appeal is mainly to the sets of fans of the two teams playing. I'm not arsed with Durham v Kent, but I am if it involves Lancashire, and I bet there are many who only watch their team.

Webstreaming all the games seems the perfect solution. If they can just add the BBC commentary - they are there anyway so there's no addition to the service -and make sure it's synched properly I'm sure it would catch on in the way the live commentarys did, and I remember people on here saying that was a waste of time..."nobody's interested in county cricket...."!!