Horse Racing 2014

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    bamber wrote: »
    seems to be another gamble taking place.

pipers piping (5:00 kempton) 22/1 into 2/1
    I have a funny feeling this one will go awry. Let's see. Has an air of jumping on the bandwagon when the ship has already sailed about it. It doesn't look as potentially well treated as yesterday's runners. Bookies might be dangling the carrot here, hoping punters will bite.

Catalyze is interesting in that race. Turned out quickly after yesterday when catching the eye in behind Leg3 of the Curley gamble Indus Valley. But if William Carson rides it in the manner he did yesterday he won't win.
    Forum Member
    The bigger priced stablemate won. You couldn't make it up.

Notable though was how weak Pipers Piping was on the exchanges in the run up to the race. Hills were busy cutting it back into 6/4 at the same time as on Betfair it was drifting like a barge to almost 3/1.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    I can't believe anybody thinks "good luck for the gamble being landed". Connections of these horses have been cheating the public by not running these horses to anywhere near what they are capable of.

Take EYE OF THE TIGER as an example - here are his 6 previous runs:
    debut - 4th of 5 runners beaten 107 lengths!!
    2nd run - 14th of 15th beaten 41 lengths!!
    3rd run - last of 10 runners beaten 36 lengths!!
    4th run - last of 10 runners beaten 110 lengths!!
    5th run - last of 15 runners beaten 112 lengths!!
    6th run - last of 13 runners beaten 84 lengths!!

7th time lucky then @evens ... what an absolute gangster Curley is.:D

I disagree. Love to see a well planned coup
    A lot of prep must have gone into this one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The bigger priced stablemate won. You couldn't make it up.

If this was in a TV program , you would think it far fetched
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Bucks is odds against in this afternoon's Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham

Can't remember the last time he wasn't odds on

Would they run him if he wasn't ready ?
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Big Bucks is odds against in this afternoon's Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham

Can't remember the last time he wasn't odds on

Would they run him if he wasn't ready ?

Think he went for home too early..Strange ride.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame to see Big Bucks beaten, but to be honest think the jockey took him to the front far too quickly he's never been an easy ride and doesn't like to lead like that.

Looked to be travelling as well as usual until the late stages of the race. Wouldn't put me off him for the world hurdle tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good solid run after his injury. Agree about the jockey sending him to the front too soon.

Hopefully he comes out of the race sound
    Forum Member
    Betfair a tad slow to bring back the updated markets for the 2:55 due to non runners.

Really fancy Alben Star in that race, price dependent. Didn't handle the fibresand last time but went in my tracker after some eyecatching runs at Lingfield and this looks the right opportunity today.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Betfair a tad slow to bring back the updated markets for the 2:55 due to non runners.

Really fancy Alben Star in that race, price dependent. Didn't handle the fibresand last time but went in my tracker after some eyecatching runs at Lingfield and this looks the right opportunity today.

Good luck !

I think maybe the handicapper has got him. Of course he can still win if he runs to his mark and the others don't run to their marks......but I think 'Trinity' is improving and might still have more to offer

I'd take him if I was betting on the race

I'm not betting at all at the moment after a bit of a losing run but I've put up Blazing Desert in the 3.30 at 9/1 EW in a competition I'm in.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

swingaleg wrote: »
    Good luck !

I think maybe the handicapper has got him. Of course he can still win if he runs to his mark and the others don't run to their marks......but I think 'Trinity' is improving and might still have more to offer

I'd take him if I was betting on the race

I'm not betting at all at the moment after a bit of a losing run but I've put up Blazing Desert in the 3.30 at 9/1 EW in a competition I'm in.

Good luck to both of you

I'm not betting at the moment, instead I'm preparing myself to lose a lot at Cheltenham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurricane Fly about to renew rivalry with Jezki and Our Connor in the Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to both of you

I'm not betting at the moment, instead I'm preparing myself to lose a lot at Cheltenham

I decided to stick some cash on 'Trinity'......

that's the trouble with opining about a race someone else is betting in.......you feel honour bound to splash some cash....

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is some horse !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Won that like a champ !

If they all turn up the Champion Hurdle is going to be one hell of a race.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    well done dancc......head in it !
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    well done dancc......head in it !
    Thanks mate. Good value at 11/4, the price I took.

Great ride by Chaloner as well I thought. Box 8 was tricky but tracked across to be prominent, seemingly keen to keep close tabs on Kingscote. Trinity might have nicked it from the front otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Dancc . Well spotted
    Forum Member
    Great stuff Dancc . Well spotted
    Thanks Dave. I think most racing fans were a bit distracted at the time!!

One hell of a race in Ireland. The way Our Conor travelled into it I felt sure he was going to win. So impressive the way the Fly fought back.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The World Hurdle looks a tough one to call. Big Bucks might have needed the run but that really turned into a tough race on heavy ground. I wonder if a couple were eased out of it a bit. Annie Power is the X Factor but on good ground I would still not rule out Boston Bob or Reve de Sivola if it is soft. Could be an open race with holes to pick in all the leading candidates.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on the weekend are as follows ...

I thought Twiston Davies simply got a bit carried away on Big Bucks - he was travelling quite sweetly but once he came off the bridle he had to commit a long, long way from home and while he did go 3 or 4 lengths clear when asked it was asking a lot to still hold on.

Thing is he also gave him quite a hard race and I wouldn't be at all confident that the horse can bounce back on his 2nd run. Also wouldn't be too confident of the jockey not losing the plot again - I think if Walsh was on board the horse would still be unbeaten over hurdles.

The Irish Champion hurdle was a strange race and they all finished in a heap with only a couple of lengths between 1st and last which suggests it was even more a muddling race than their last run. Our Connor came there to win the race but he bottomed out very quickly when he saw daylight. The proximity of 13 year old Captain Cee Bee has got to put huge question marks over that form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Estrella goes for his 25th victory at Southwell this afternoon which would equal China Castles record on the all weather. In 16 races at Southwell, he has won 15 and been 3rd once !
    He is 5/6 fav in a 4 runner race. The 2nd fav , Stand Guard, has won 23 races as well so it's not a shoe-in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    La Estrella goes for his 25th victory at Southwell this afternoon which would equal China Castles record on the all weather. In 16 races at Southwell, he has won 15 and been 3rd once !
    He is 5/6 fav in a 4 runner race. The 2nd fav , Stand Guard, has won 23 races as well so it's not a shoe-in

There's now 2 non-runners and the 'other horse' left in is rated 40 lbs below the 'big two' so effectively it's a match

In all senses it really is a match as they are very similar horses.......La estrella has just been dropped 4lbs by the handicapper but prior to that they both had the same mark and both have the same weight today

La Estrella has won 26 out of 61 starts
    Stand guard has won 23 out of 69

They take it in turns to mop up all the 4 and 5 runner sellers and claimers around the all weather circuit yet remarkably they don't appear to have ever run against each other

What a fascinating race between two horses that as near as dammit identical in ability, record and form

I would go for Stand Guard today........I'm looking at La Estrella having had a hard race last time and having his 4th run since coming back off his last break I think maybe he's now ready for a few months rest
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Estrella has been declared a late non-runner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm even more confident that Stand guard will win now......>:(