If your OH was ill would you put them in a nursing home?

2»

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the care needed. I looked after my late husband who had throat and lung cancer, at home with huge help from GPs and district nurses to whom I shall be forever indebted for making it possible for him to die peacefully in his own bed.
  • dropoutdropout Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Absolutely not.Thats whats wrong with this generation.They only care about themselves.My grandmother took in her father in law until he died aqnd my mother did the same.I nursed my grandfather for two years until he died.Theres nobody more important than your family yet people dump them in homes for other people to look after.I truly think it's awful and inhumane.

Ok then, who will be looking after you when you cannot manage it.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    KBBJ wrote: »
    Ancient Mum wouldn't have accepted it from a family member, and I wouldn't have allowed some of the paid carers to do it, unfortunately. One was great; the others, not so much.

Yes it can be hit and miss with carers
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    MrsPVR can't look after herself when she has a headache. I'm not sure she'd thank me for having her institutionalised though.

If I was retired and could support us then of course I'd want to be a carer to my wife.
  • birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    The other side is it means having to give up work, and becoming a welfare 'scrounger' that this forum loves to belittle.

When I looked after my Father I received £45 a week careers allowance. My Father had to pay for any alterations to his house, stair lift etc, and when I needed extra help with the hoist he had to pay for this also.

People that do not have the means to pay for care themselves save the government a great deal of money if a family member cares for them.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I often joke with my hubby that I'm puting him in a home and that's with him being ok ..but I know that when and if that time would come that I could look after him and I will
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Having worked in several nursing homes I certainly would not place any member of my family in one unless there was nothing else I could do for them. Care in the community is the way to go if possible keeping your loved ones at home in familar surroundings and proper food.