Panic Buying-why?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    It actually makes me laugh all these idiots panic buying. You would think the zombie apocalypse was upon us the way some go on.

I actually witnessed people arguing with each other over the number of loaves each was buying the other day. Our two local village stores ran out of bread and milk, even though the road was open and the owner of Costcutter told customers a delivery was due that afternoon. That afternoon the truck turned up as planned.

The following day it snowed heavily, roads got a wee bit slushy so the panic buyers were out again, repeat for a couple of days. Then today more deliveries. I haven't run out of milk or bread at all and haven't had to panic buy, meanwhile one of my neighbours who did is moaning because the bread he bought at the beginning of the week is going off and he has two days to use 8 litres of milk. :)
  • CalphurniaCalphurnia Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't panic bought, just business as usual. I did make it to the supermarket yesterday and noticed there was a lot less bread than usual. One bloke was chucking loaves into his trolley like he was on supermarket sweep. Kept expecting Mr Orange Winton himself to turn up any minute congratulating him on winning the world record on the most amount of bread crammed into a supermarket trolley. I managed to snatch one before he got his hands on it.

If the supermarkets run out, I'll make my own.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people talk about not being able to buy some things in the supermarket, you know full well some smug git will be amongst you with a big grin on their face thinking I'm alright Jack. That same smug git will no doubt be loading up their dust bin with unwanted or out of date food items next week. Its the same at Christmas, people go mad in the supermarket and clear the shelves thinking they need all those extra loaves just because the shops will be shut for a couple of days.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Why do people do this anyway? Filling up their cars when there's nowhere to drive to as the weather is crap?

Despite what's been on the news the whole country isn't at complete gridlock, how do you think they're getting to the Petrol station in the first place?

In fact as far as London is concerned you're better off driving to work, assuming you've got somewhere to park, rather than going anywhere near public transport as that's up the pictures.

I'll be borrowing my mates Dog and off up to Richmond park for walk, hopefully there's some deep snow left as she loves snow.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite what's been on the news the whole country isn't at complete gridlock, how do you think they're getting to the Petrol station in the first place?

In fact as far as London is concerned you're better off driving to work, assuming you've got somewhere to park, rather than going anywhere near public transport as that's up the pictures.

I'll be borrowing my mates Dog and off up to Richmond park for walk, hopefully there's some deep snow left as she loves snow.

It's been really bad up here in Yorkshire. Sheffield has been a ghost town the past few days. Even tonight, night clubs are shut, that would normally go on till 4am. They didn't even open tonight.
    Forum Member
    When people talk about not being able to buy some things in the supermarket, you know full well some smug git will be amongst you with a big grin on their face thinking I'm alright Jack. That same smug git will no doubt be loading up their dust bin with unwanted or out of date food items next week. Its the same at Christmas, people go mad in the supermarket and clear the shelves thinking they need all those extra loaves just because the shops will be shut for a couple of days.

It goes mad a Chrimbo and the shops are only shut for Christmas Day.
    I must remember to stock up on my hooch well before the lunacy really begins.
    Forum Member
    It's been really bad up here in Yorkshire. Sheffield has been a ghost town the past few days. Even tonight, night clubs are shut, that would normally go on till 4am. They didn't even open tonight.

We're at the icy, slips, trips and falls stage.
    Main roads are pretty clear apart from punters walking in the road, if you're driving.
    Drizzling now, so that'll probably turn to ice, then cars will be scattering into the pavement and each other tomorrow/today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. No you're not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    haven't had a chance to panic buy food or petrol as we have been snowed in since Tuesday. Corner shop closed as the owner lives away from store and can't get here
    no buses or trains running and the car is sitting in so much snow that you can't see the wheels!
    I am recovering from 2 broken feet so can't walk the mile or so to the supermarket but I suppose all this has done me a favour because (and I am sure others are guilty of this) I have used a lot of the food in my cupboards and freezer that I wouldn't have done, as every week I go shopping because there is "nothing" to eat in the house....:o
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Why with every major weather event or something big happens does everyone have to start panic buying and when you go into the Shop/Supermarket there is some items that have run out:confused:

Yesterday i was in my local town where a few of the shops and supermarkets run out of Milk and bread and could not get any and today i hear on the news that Petrol is now begining to run out because of Panic Buying:confused:

These people that do that i take that they do not think of others before doing this ans surley supermakets and Shops should put a limit on what people should buy during this weather:confused:

I was saying this thursday, I am an online shopper & the amount of multiples of stuff people were ordering is ridiculous! Totally selfish, but we're not really suprised are we? :rolleyes:
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes mad a Chrimbo and the shops are only shut for Christmas Day.
    I must remember to stock up on my hooch well before the lunacy really begins.

And there lies the start of it! lol everyone else thinks the same, panic buying.
    I didn't buy anything more than I usually do this week, had my shopping delivered yesterday as usual & the best of both medium sliced had been sub'd for thick. Woopie doo. No one needs to panic buy!
    I shall get my usual £15 worth of petrol after work. If the selfish tw*** have left others any!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Because the media says it's bad weather, then all the silly people believe them, and then panic buying begins?
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stocked up on a months worth of cat food/cat litter a few days back when I got my shopping delivered. We can pretty much go without anything else if need be. I didn't want to run out of cat litter though, my cats are fussy and would poo on the floor if their litter box wasn't cleaned every day lol
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people are greedy fooks!
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Probably because people are stupid. Don't people have stocks in their house anyhow?
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    there better be some milk left n my newsagents when go!
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me how people don't understand the reasons, right so to make as few outings as possible you would want to do things all in one go simple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Survival of the fittest? Ironically, the people least likely to be even vaguely inconvenienced (Affluent, 4WD driving couples, often with pampered teenage children) are usually FIRST in the queue? :p
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why you should always keep plenty of food etc. in your pantry/cupboards.

I've got enough to last several weeks, and I haven't bought a thing since Wednesday evening, when I bought just a 4 pint carton of milk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because buying twice as much bread as usual means you don't have to risk driving on icy roads for twice as long again? It'd be even more stupid to go to the supermarket and just buy one loaf of bread when you usually eat that within a day or two.

Having been in a car the other morning which couldn't get any traction on the roads and kept sliding into the kerb, I don't blame anyone for wanting to do something to limit the number of journeys they have to make.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    No. No you're not.

I agree. I live in London and I have had no problems at all with public trasnport. The tube line I use and all my bus routes have been fine. The idea of driving from East to West London and back fills me with all kinds of horror.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panic buying isnt just when we've got bad weather.

You go into any supermarket two days before Christmas and people have TWO trolley's worth of food and drink!

Anyone would think the supermarkets close down for a week!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Panic buying isnt just when we've got bad weather.

You go into any supermarket two days before Christmas and people have TWO trolley's worth of food and drink!

Anyone would think the supermarkets close down for a week!

I can remember the days of two trolleys for Xmas.

However we did have ten people in the house that year.
    Forum Member
    I agree. I live in London and I have had no problems at all with public trasnport. The tube line I use and all my bus routes have been fine. The idea of driving from East to West London and back fills me with all kinds of horror.

I'm guessing your tube line doesn't have much in the way of overground sections, then.
    The trains have been up the pictures, I guess the overground tubelines were the same.

Definitely not the experience where I am, guys who are usually on site for 7:30 not on site until 9:00, closing the site early due to the all the cancelled trains, train station closing completely.
    Guys leaving at 3 pm instead of 5 pm and still getting home at the same time, waiting an hour for buses or trains, etc.

The Snow only added about 10 minutes to my usual drive to work, mostly because I avoided some of the minor roads and turned back and went the long way round using the major roads.

People are forever telling me how terrible it is to drive in London.
    I drive to jobs from SW London to East London and Essex all the time, but I'm out the door by 6:30 usually.
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Because buying twice as much bread as usual means you don't have to risk driving on icy roads for twice as long again? It'd be even more stupid to go to the supermarket and just buy one loaf of bread when you usually eat that within a day or two.

Having been in a car the other morning which couldn't get any traction on the roads and kept sliding into the kerb, I don't blame anyone for wanting to do something to limit the number of journeys they have to make.

I'm guessing some people aren't just buying 2 loaves instead of one, more like 6 loaves, but I'm only guessing, going on stuff others on DS have said.

I can't really be sure when you see people with 10 loaves that they're panic buying as I see some people doing that all year round.