Could you live without tv?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you could only choose either internet or tv would you live without tv? Do people watch less tv now than 20 years ago? :)

Comments

• Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Could I watch Tv and films on the internet? If so, I choose the internet.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My TV watching has greatly reduced. I imagine once my current shows are all off the air, I could give up TV completely no problem.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The aerial has gone dodgy on my block of flats and I've watched no TV at all for a month.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can watch tv and films online (and ad free!). So I'd easily live without tv.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't have a TV for 7 years, so could easily do it again.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV watching has greatly reduced. I imagine once my current shows are all off the air, I could give up TV completely no problem.

In the 1990's everybody watched the soaps.

Guess times have changed. I reckon people choose more what they watch and spend other time playing games consoles or ipads. :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 1990's everybody watched the soaps.

Guess times have changed. I reckon people choose more what they watch and spend other time playing games consoles or ipads. :D

I spend most of my time reading or listening to music these days.
  • The quizmasterThe quizmaster Posts: 93,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. I love my TV. laptop/desktop monitor is too small :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch TV now more than ever but could get the shows anyway online
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I just have the telly for dvds mainly.

Can get crap soaps and comedy thru laptop.

If it meant no programmes, I would hole myself in the library and at home with board games and books and the kids would learn to beat me at articulate providing it was lacking tv references.

:D
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not. I love my TV. laptop/desktop monitor is too small :o

And more visits to the opticians for eye strain..

:D
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now rarely watch any TV.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Seldom anything worth watching. I wouldn't miss television. It is boring.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really watch broadcasted television, so I suppose I could live without a tv.

I wouldn't want to be without a tv. It's always on for background noise.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I chat by email to a lady in her late 50s who hasn't had a TV since mid 2000. She has wi-fi and obviously goes online but hasn't sat down and watched TV since 2000, so some people clearly do live without it by choice. She says she watched BGT and sometimes X Factor via ITV Player and things like that. Personally, I do watch TV quite a lot, so I wouldn't be too happy if I lost it but if the choice is between the two then I'd rather lose TV and keep my internet connection I think. Having said that, I've often wondered if life would be better without the internet, then again it would have to be that it didn't exist for anyone for that experiment to go ahead, so I'm thinking that wouldn't happen[/shuts up]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internet is so valuable to me as a reference tool when I'm working, so I don't think that I'd last for very long without it. Yes, I've got my books but for help solving errors the internet is easier, books don't cover everything. I'd choose internet over TV all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think perhaps there's an argument that the TV can be more educational, in as much as if your online, its up to you to know what to look up and research, to find out whats going on in politics, topical news stories etc., rather than on TV where there are scheduled shows, documentaries, TV bulletins etc. perhaps?.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I near to never watch TV now.
    Radio only or selected programmes on iplayer.

I would watch at best 30 minutes TV a week.
    And that's often 30 minutes to much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I think perhaps there's an argument that the TV can be more educational, in as much as if your online, its up to you to know what to look up and research, to find out whats going on in politics, topical news stories etc., rather than on TV where there are scheduled shows, documentaries, TV bulletins etc. perhaps?.
    I'd agree that TV is a good educational tool, and sometimes even I get stuck on how to put my question into a search. The downside learning things through TV is interaction, which like what I said with books could help you look for your specific problems more, they (books and TV) don't cover everything or every problem you might have.
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had a TV in over a decade. Don't miss it at all. I didn't have it on much before then and I figured it was a waste of money paying the license fee for something I rarely used.

I do occasionally watch something online, on catch-up, but even that's rare. Last show I watched was about three weeks ago.

So, I'd choose the Internet. I couldn't do without that!
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had to chose between TV and the internet then I'd definitely chose the net.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    I'd agree that TV is a good educational tool, and sometimes even I get stuck on how to put my question into a search. The downside learning things through TV is interaction, which like what I said with books could help you look for your specific problems more, they (books and TV) don't cover everything or every problem you might have.

TV can be pretty interactive in that you can phone in to some shows, or send text messages etc., depending on the specific program.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seldom anything worth watching. I wouldn't miss television. It is boring.

Saturday night being the worst night of the week, just brain dead 'game shows' in front of a wildly cheering audience.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't had a tv for years. If I want to watch anything I go online.
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Don't own a TV.

I decided I watched so little that the licence fee wasn't worth it. You can watch anything you want on catch up and video sites. As long as you don't watch live TV streams you don't need a licence.