Options

Seeing my GP regaurding Depression

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
hi guys,

just needed some friendly advice, a lots happened the last few years ,all different things and its eaten away at me, I've tried to hide it all away and pretend I'm fine but right now I feel helpless , I feel a complete stranger in my own body compared to the person that I used to be :(

but I feel its got so bad now I need to reach out for help, after talking to a work colleague and breaking down she told me to get into touch with GP, I've got an appointment tomorrow, but I'm just scared because I'm a 23 year old male that's never asked for help or had to admit I don't feel myself and I just don't know what to expect or if it will just be a quick chat and off I go :(

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be worried any good GP will refer you for help and may want to put you onto a medication to help you in the mean time. They are not trained to be able to treat you completely which is why they will send you to someone who is.

Been through it myself and received very good help so just be truthful and they can help you.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've taken two steps already; you've confided in a third party, and made that GPs appointment.

Don't be scared of talking and asking for help. Information is necessary to go forward; give the GP the information they need to help you, and they will give you the information you need to get that help.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very well done to you for making that first step . One step at a time will guide you along the path
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    hi guys,

just needed some friendly advice, a lots happened the last few years ,all different things and its eaten away at me, I've tried to hide it all away and pretend I'm fine but right now I feel helpless , I feel a complete stranger in my own body compared to the person that I used to be :(

but I feel its got so bad now I need to reach out for help, after talking to a work colleague and breaking down she told me to get into touch with GP, I've got an appointment tomorrow, but I'm just scared because I'm a 23 year old male that's never asked for help or had to admit I don't feel myself and I just don't know what to expect or if it will just be a quick chat and off I go :(

You're doing absolutely the right thing and you have my good wishes. :)

I'd suggest asking the GP about all the treatment options available such as the various antidepressant medications plus also talking therapies such as cognitive behaviour therapy. These options are not mutually exclusive and many people have a combination of both.

Please be assured that, although it'll probably take months, you can overcome depression and go on to lead a more contented, fulfilled and productive life.
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP, try not to worry too much about your appointment tomorrow, i see you have been given good advice already, so the only thing i will add is....if you are feeling that you may not make yourself fully understood by the Doctor, just write it all down and hand it straight to him/her, and take it from there.
    There is no quick fix, depression needs an abundance of time, be gentle with yourself and please let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey. I'm 21 and have been in the same position many times. Usually, what will happen is the GP will ask about how you've been feeling, and ask you to fill in a questionnaire, which asks stuff like

I don't enjoy things as much as I used to - All the time, Sometimes, Not very often, never.
    I feel low and worthless - All the time, Over half of the days, Occasionally, Never.

The options are all different for each question.

Based on your answers, you'll get a score for depression and a score for anxiety (if necessary). This shows the GP the level of depression you're suffering from, and therefore helps them to treat you in the best way. You may then get a prescription for antidepressants, there are several and you may not find the one that suits you best straight away. After 1 month, you'll get a check up, and by then the AD's should have kicked in, they take 3-6 weeks to have an effect.

After 2 months, you get asked to complete the questionnaire again. This is the stage I'm currently at. My GP told me that after my next appointment, if things are still going well, I'll be able to go to 2 months between appointments, but you should continue to be on the meds for up to 6 months AFTER you feel back to normal, to prevent relapse.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner saw her GP regarding stress at work yesterday. She explained how she was feeling, feels like she cant cope, comes home crying most days.

His only response was to ask how long she wanted to be signed off for, they agreed on 3 weeks!
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I just thought Id mention elefriends to you. It's run by the charity mind and it's basically a social network a bit like Facebook but it's obviously anonymous (if you want it to be). Instead of the usual drivel you see on Facebook about how great life is ect it's very honest, people are very honest and it's nice to chat to people who suffer the same and get support or even offer some advice. It's really helped me, maybe look it up.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Hiya.
    I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I can really sympathise. I don't have anything to add, as the other FMs have said all I wanted to say, but I just wanted to wish you well. It will get better, trust me. Over time it will. Take care x
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of good advice from all of the above.Don't think for a second that they'll look at you as if you have 2 heads.They see it very very often.For all sorts of reasons.Your workmate telling you to see your GP is some of the best advice you'll ever receive.
    As someone else said.Be honest,be open and truthful.Tell them everything.They need to know what's going on.You'll probably start crying and that's a good thing.It means you're being honest.
    There's no need to bottle it all up and struggle on alone these days.That can lead to worse things.
    All the best.:)
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend writing down EXACTLY how you feel OP as by trying to explain to the doctor you might miss out important info or not do your condition justice. I used to hand the GP a note and they seemed fine with this approach.

Also, as there is a time limit with the GP writing things down speeds up things a little. I really do mean to put exactly how you feel, if you feel like killing yourself at times then write this down as they need to tailor your treatment to how you feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hey guys,

thanks for the lovely words and advice! really helped me and cheered me up, went to my appointment today, the doctor really didn't seem interested in what I had to say, was more busy signing prescriptions while I was explaining why I felt this way, I did fill out the questionnaire and she's put me on a month course of 10mg citalopram , very nervous about taking them as I don't no what to expect

but thank you again for your advice! x
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hey guys,

thanks for the lovely words and advice! really helped me and cheered me up, went to my appointment today, the doctor really didn't seem interested in what I had to say, was more busy signing prescriptions while I was explaining why I felt this way, I did fill out the questionnaire and she's put me on a month course of 10mg citalopram , very nervous about taking them as I don't no what to expect

Thanks for checking in caz.A lot of people don't bother to do a follow up post.
    Your GP writing the prescription as you spoke is very common.They already know what the problem is,since you'd filled in the questionnaire.
    Citalopram is usually the first port of call for most GP's.I think it's certainly the one with the best results.I was on it once,but it didn't work for me.I ended up with Sertraline.
    The Citalopram gave me a very very dry mouth within days.Amongst other things.
    Just remember to be patient.They take a while to work.What works for one,doesn't work for another.Such is the nature of the brain/drug.
    If it doesn't work she'll try you on another.
    All the best.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hey guys,

Hiya,

I'm glad you've got the ball rolling at least. Fingers crossed the only way is up now!

10mg is a low dose so that gives you room to play with if they don't help. Remember they do take time to kick in. Just hold on to the knowledge that they will kick in.

Take care xxx
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound exactly like me mate, we're in the same boat.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Take heart, caz06, it is totally alright, and not "abnormal" for you to feel lost, confused, not knowing what is the right answer or the wrong, about life. You're a human being and loads of people go through this. You're not alone, it's all part of the crazy experience of life, and it can take time for you to come through and start feeling OK again.
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for coming back to let us know how you got on. It will take a while for citalopram to kick in, and, if you find that it is doing nothing for you, or you feel worse etc. make sure you go back to the Doctors, do not be afraid to do this, you, and your health are important. I hope that 2015 brings a big improvement for you. ;-)
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on 10mg citalopram although it's for anxiety and not depression. Wonder drug for me, plus exercise and changing what I eat.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I'm on 10mg citalopram although it's for anxiety and not depression. Wonder drug for me, plus exercise and changing what I eat.

Me too Sun, although I'm on 20mg :) It's given me my life back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

may I ask whats different now from before? :) xx
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    hey guys,

Hopefully the medication will work for you but it may take a few weeks to kick in so please be patient. The dose and the medication can always be adjusted at a later date if things don't appear to be working out in the long term.

In addition, I've provided some self help links below in case they are of interest:

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Depression-Talks-Your-Therapist/dp/1845298187/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420229631&sr=8-1&keywords=overcoming+depression+cd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Depression-Cognitive-Behavioural-Techniques/dp/1849010668/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420229631&sr=8-2&keywords=overcoming+depression+cd
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    may I ask whats different now from before? :) xx

Not ringing ambulances at midnight any more or feel like suffering in silence with sweaty hands sometimes and that feeling of dread.

Sometimes you can feel it but not near what it was, basically got my life back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    Me too Sun, although I'm on 20mg :) It's given me my life back.

I'm on 40mg a day (not trying to out do anyone!!!).

I'm desperately trying to reduce the amount, but life just gets in the way of that. I'm lucky that I've got a FANTASTIC GP who listens to me.

I've been on anti depressants for many years now...many, many. Without them I'd really struggle at times. With them I'm a functioning member of society.

I see long term use as no different to using any other pills long term, if they are given to improve quality of life and health. I'd rather be without them, but I'd rather have life as it is with them, than without them.

I don't appear to produce Serotonin in the amounts I need, so Citalopram helps me out.

I really hope you start to feel better soon. Xxx
  • Options
    MacattacKMacattacK Posts: 7,652
    Forum Member
    My GP was clueless and quite rude when I went in. He gave me Citalopram and I took it but I didn't like the feeling it gave me. It was like an another-worldliness to me. I didn't feel in control still but in a seemingly opposite way to I was previous. I sought out my own way to talking therapies and self-referred to a local organisation here in Manchester and it was exactly what I needed. I'm not saying the drugs don't work, they just weren't for me. But it was still worth a try to know it wasn't the right fit. Also, a lot of people don't know that self-referral is a pathway in to therapies and that your GP is your only option.

Caz06 the first major step is getting honest enough and brave enough with yourself to seek out help. The only way is onward and upward now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MacattacK wrote: »
    I sought out my own way to talking therapies and self-referred to a local organisation here in Manchester and it was exactly what I needed...

...a lot of people don't know that self-referral is a pathway in to therapies and that your GP is your only option.

What have you done that has really helped? I'd love to get off them or be able to reduce them 😊.