Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    It would have worked better with studded tyres to match the destruction caused by a those big boys in a scrum.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with comments about the car rugby being boring and too long, also the handbrake crap in the news was annoying but apart from that I quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I dislike is Clarkson's hatred for vauxhall cars and his love for Fords, one can't help but wonder if he purposely had the Renault brought in because the Vauxhall trounced the Ford.

Yes it may have been the fastest when three different people were driving the cars, but later on when The Stig took them all out, the Vauxhall was faster than the Ford.

I have owned many vauxhalls, all of which have been sport hatches and none of them were slow and that vectra he was ripping the piss out of, where was the mk1 mondeo? That thing was worse than the vectra
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Agree with comments about the car rugby being boring and too long, also the handbrake crap in the news was annoying but apart from that I quite enjoyed it.
    Agree....
    Same old same old....and I just didn't get the Handbrake stuff....The Lewis Drive was the only highlight for me.:(
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No decent totty in the crowd this week.:(
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Very good episode.

Impressive that they could get Mat Le Blanc, Bruce Willis, Eric Clapton and Lewis Hamilton all on the same show.
    I'm not sure if that's Clarkson doing his best to burn through the BBC budget or just showing off who's in his phone contacts.

Wasn't completely comfortable with the car rugby.
    Didn't really see the need to wreck quarter of a million quid's worth of cars just to make the point that they're well-built.
    The whole show seemed to have a vague whiff of ass-kissing Kia to it.

And then, of course, there's LH's SIARPC time.

:D

I'm sure KIA were happy to foot the bill.. what price an extened ad on the BBC at primetime, £250K would be a steal
  • Options
    rdanvillerdanville Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Great show I just wish I could watch it live here in the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    The handbrake bit was rather cringeworthy.

Apart from that, good ep.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    I'm sure KIA were happy to foot the bill.. what price an extened ad on the BBC at primetime, £250K would be a steal

The cars didnt look to battered either. KIA will probably replace the damaged panels and sell the cars as 'used'. So the whole thing wont cost them £40K.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to agree with most of the comments. The handbrake skit was too long, bordering on cringeworthy (and I can't be only person who didn't relate to that surely. Or am I? :o). I thought the rugby segment was great, and I loved how they got Eric Clapton, Bruce Willis and, erm, Matt Le Blanc in the show for pointless cameos. :D
    (I can only assume they're going to pop up as SIARPC at some point during the series.)

It's the childish silliness of it that I still love. "And to captain the team we have a man who knows all about Twickenham. He drives past it almost every day - James May", and at half-time, May's diagram of how he wanted his team to attack Clarkson's. :D
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good, varied episode.

No moans on this board that they haven't been reviewing some average, family-type cars, this week, I see. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Another good, varied episode.

No moans on this board that they haven't been reviewing some average, family-type cars, this week, I see. :D

Yeah, all the Kens and Dereks, with their Ferrari key rings, will be delighted. :)
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good laugh start to finish; the knowing silliness of it all is what makes it fun. The handbrake jokes were arrow straight for me, even if it was over 30 years ago since I was doing that (still got it though, for the kids' benefit when we're out in snow, and wife does indeed make that face).

Loved the demo of how water explodes when sulphur dioxide is added, with JC decked out in hat, safety goggles & hi-viz then he does nothing more except set off on a silly run and ends up right back where he started next to the exploding tank. A neat nod at his H&S perceptions.

Having celebs drop in was clever, in a look who we've got but haven't made any real use of them way. Much better than One Show style fawning over them whilst they plug their book / film / play.

Rugby - I didn't think I'd like this as the previous stabs at car football hadn't worked for me. It was good though - v enjoyable.

TG is a bit of Sunday evening light entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. On that level it works brilliantly, some weeks better than others, but this week's was a good one.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The handbrake bit was rather cringeworthy.

Apart from that, good ep.

The 'news' section is now just a general talk about sex, with 50 year old men trying to act like teenagers.

Cringeworthy, indeed.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    What I dislike is Clarkson's hatred for vauxhall cars and his love for Fords, one can't help but wonder if he purposely had the Renault brought in because the Vauxhall trounced the Ford.

Yes it may have been the fastest when three different people were driving the cars, but later on when The Stig took them all out, the Vauxhall was faster than the Ford.

I have owned many vauxhalls, all of which have been sport hatches and none of them were slow and that vectra he was ripping the piss out of, where was the mk1 mondeo? That thing was worse than the vectra

Agree, it also has to be remembered that a percentage of Astra's are built in this country, employing 1000's directly and indirectly, they are not a bad car and don't deserve the scorn that he gives them, there are far worse cars.

Unfortunately many take what JC says for gospel, does he really want to jeopardize sales and therefore jobs?

As far as the Mk1 Vectra goes, I had one as a company car circa 1998, it was a comfortable motorway cruiser that would eat up the miles, superior to the Mondeo that preceded it.

Many good examples still remain.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I dislike is Clarkson's hatred for vauxhall cars and his love for Fords,a

Did you miss the bit where he said the Ford had worse steering?

Or at the end where he said if you want a fun fast hatch - buy a Toyota 86?
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Unfortunately many take what JC says for gospel, does he really want to jeopardize sales and therefore jobs?
    I really can't accept that someone about to punt £20+k on a new car will base any of that decision on what TG and in particular JC says about the car. Everyone sees JC on TG for what he is - a cartoon parody. Claiming that people take his word as the sole arbiter on major financial decisions is pushing a bit too far tbf.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past I have been critical of the last few seasons of TG. The programme was getting a bit repetitive same stunts same old Clarkson thrashing about in a £100 00 car

Tonight was however very good in the main. The rugby at the end I could have done without or at least not made it as long and the handbrake turn stuff on the new went on a little too long. Apart from that a very car focused show and as others have said some decent totty
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, I was expecting more. I was actually disappointed by the whole episode apart from the ruby at the end, This was one of the least interesting TGs for a long time.
    It was a disappointment that they did the same things.
    Car rugby = Car football
    Normal(ish) car roadtest = get some cameos because without them it who would be interested?
    I was waiting for the alternative car to show up in the Astra test. I thought it would be a Focus as it is the natural competitor.
    I thought they spent too long on the handbrake discussion as the news segment is usually a highlight for me.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I really can't accept that someone about to punt £20+k on a new car will base any of that decision on what TG and in particular JC says about the car. Everyone sees JC on TG for what he is - a cartoon parody. Claiming that people take his word as the sole arbiter on major financial decisions is pushing a bit too far tbf.

Possibly, possibly not, there is also the ridicule factor, which is important, especially from the younger car buyer. Not everyone 'gets' Clarkson some take him at face value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought he covered that by mentioning that the Astra was mechanically aided whereas the Focus was electronically aided.
    Mechanics win out around a circuit ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rdanville wrote: »
    Great show I just wish I could watch it live here in the US.

It's not broadcast live. Not sure what you're missing out on apart from a couple of pages of comments on a message board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    If Willis is not the guest next week (even if its "off tape") I'll be surprised
    James McAvoy according to RadioTimes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

The Vectra has never been a good car, just average, the Cavalier was better at its time.

Quite often the Astra was no great shakes. I have driven a few the GTE introduced me to torque steer.

The best Vauxhalls used to be from Russelheim and it is well know that TG over the years liked them, especialy when they came via Norfolk. The Senators and Carltons were so much better than the Cavaliers and Astras, in build quality and driveability.

Now the best are rebadged Holdens
  • Options
    rdanvillerdanville Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's not broadcast live. Not sure what you're missing out on apart from a couple of pages of comments on a message board.

No I meant when it is first broadcast in the UK. Instead of waiting.
This discussion has been closed.