Options

Is Becky a 'Coronation Street' icon?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Becky's exit was fitting for a character who has undeniably dominated the programme for the years she has been in it. Do you think she's a Corrie icon, who will be remembered for years to come?

Not including those still in the programme, the icons for me are: Elsie, Ena, Hilda, Bet and Raquel. These for me are the jewels in the crown and define the show.

I thought Becky was stonkingly good in the last few weeks. But for me the character went through great lulls and at times was unlikeable, a caricature of herself.

Becky is certainly a big part of the programme, but she just misses out on iconic status.

Comments

• Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I think she is certainly the most iconic character since Richard Hillman, and because she's dominated so much she will always be remembered. I don't think she's going to achieve the legendary status that Bet etc recieved, but you only have to look at the fanfare all over the Internet tonight to see how loved Becky is.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think she will be well remembered like Karen is but I don't see her as iconic as much as I like her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the traditional sense no, but a lot of society today has this terrible "celebrity worship" culture & so soaps have followed suit by creating "icons" of characters that really arent if for no other reason than that the channel can fill more slots with cheap to make tribute programs then repeat them time after time.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly as iconic as Raquel
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a good character but she doesn't compare to the five characters you listed (which to be fair are the cream of the crop, although Annie should be there too IMO). I think she should have been better than she was as Katherine Kelly is one of the best actresses in the show and you get the full package with Becky - drama, humour, and a good backstory to draw from.

She had a good start and was good with the Croppers (more should have been made of that relationship) but then the producers realised she was popular and decided to pair her with Steve to put her at the centre of the show. Kat Kelly and Simon Gregson do have chemistry but Steve didn't need another Karen and Becky was better on the sidelines, making us laugh (a bit like a rough version of Raquel actually). After that it just got worse and worse, there were times when I liked her but most of the time Becky only had herself to blame for her problems and she came off very unlikable.

So it's a mixed bag for me.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was fantastic except for when she went after Maxie
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    Becky's exit was fitting for a character who has undeniably dominated the programme for the years she has been in it. Do you think she's a Corrie icon, who will be remembered for years to come?

Not including those still in the programme, the icons for me are: Elsie, Ena, Hilda, Bet and Raquel. These for me are the jewels in the crown and define the show.

I thought Becky was stonkingly good in the last few weeks. But for me the character went through great lulls and at times was unlikeable, a caricature of herself.

Becky is certainly a big part of the programme, but she just misses out on iconic status.

Gail is a coronation street icon. Becky isn't and how exactly did she 'dominate' in her time. What memorable stories did she lead. Honestly i can't think of one. In her time there gail had bigger stories, sally too and probably carla as well who i hate.
    If you watch eastenders someone like stacey dominated their soap
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I think she is certainly the most iconic character since Richard Hillman, and because she's dominated so much she will always be remembered. I don't think she's going to achieve the legendary status that Bet etc recieved, but you only have to look at the fanfare all over the Internet tonight to see how loved Becky is.

How in the world is she more iconic than Karen. Do people remember how popular she was. Her and steve were the it relationship of coronation street him and becky didnt compare
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had the potential to be an all-time classic character, and has shown lots of this in the last few weeks, but they ruined her by taking her round and round in circles and making her desperate. She was much better as a fun character.

Her recent scenes with Kylie have been great and made me wish they had made more of that relationship. The girl who plays Kylie (can't remember her name darn!) is so good now, she's more than capable of filling Kat Kelly's shoes on the show, if that's what they aim for.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    masterquan wrote: »
    Gail is a coronation street icon. Becky isn't and how exactly did she 'dominate' in her time. What memorable stories did she lead. Honestly i can't think of one. In her time there gail had bigger stories, sally too and probably carla as well who i hate.

It was never really about the stories with Becky. It was the character arc that defined her. The growth she went through as a person from when she arrived right up until her exit. The redemption of Becky Granger has been her story really, and it was played out beautifully.

Iconic? TBH I'd say yes, she was as iconic as Raquel. She was to her era what Raquel was for the nineties. She sort of summed up that chapter of Corrie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when i saw her tush getting in the cab i felt so sorry for steve

i bet shes dynamite in the sack (actress and character)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how she came in as a minor character, who had a weak link to another minor character, Kelly Crabtree, but outgrew Kelly and became one of the biggest characters on the show. I remember Kelly lending her a fiver and Lloyd saying she'd never see that fiver back...
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    The media see her as an Coronation Street icon.

I think she is surely one of the serial's icons of this generation. I reckon she will be remembered well too.
    masterquan wrote: »

I don't think that is an honest account tbf. If you cannot think of one storyline arc of Becky's that dominated - memorable stories - I must have watched a different version of the show.
  • Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    If she had stayed on longer, then yeh! I think she will be remembered as one of their best characters, but not quite an icon unfortunately, as much as I would have loved that.

I'm looking forward to seeing Katherine Kelly in other roles, ones that highlight how different she is in real life to beck (accent, class etc)
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't find an appreciation thread, so thought I would post here:

congratulations to Becky on being voted the most favourite chracter:)
  • Options
    MatthewroxMatthewrox Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Not in the same sense the other characters are. In particular, current characters who joined before 1990
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I couldn't find an appreciation thread, so thought I would post here:

congratulations to Becky on being voted the most favourite chracter:)

when was this?! Kat Kelly is an amazing actress, Well Done!