Options

Question for Recruitment or Employment Experts on here

Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
Forum Member
If it is true that "It's easier to get a job when you have a job" - what would you advise in this situation?

For the last 3 months I have been doing general office work for a large public sector employer working full time hours. The employment is "temporary ongoing" through one of the national recruitment agencies - as such I have no job security, it could end tomorrow. Before I was offered this job I was applying for jobs in the usual way but also went out hand delivering CVs to potential employers, ie just about any organisation with an office. I was unemployed for 6 months before taking this job although i did 3 days a week volunteering for a charity, no sitting at home and daytime TV for me. Previous job interviewers seemed to like this.

Although I had no response ar rhe time, a few of these employers have now contacted me and seem keen to hold interviews. I know only too well how unstable and insecure the current job market is, so here is the question - is it better so sit tight and hope my current role lasts for some time or look for something else now providing the potential employer can offer something long term (whatever long term means these days)? When is the best time to "move on" in the current job market?

I will also mention that I am over 50 - age discrimination is very common with employers, I have encountered plenty off it. My main concern is to stay in employment, at my age I'm not fussy about what the job actually is - as long as it's legal I'll consider it.

Thamks.

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    If it is true that "It's easier to get a job when you have a job" - what would you advise in this situation?

For the last 3 months I have been doing general office work for a large public sector employer working full time hours. The employment is "temporary ongoing" through one of the national recruitment agencies - as such I have no job security, it could end tomorrow. Before I was offered this job I was applying for jobs in the usual way but also went out hand delivering CVs to potential employers, ie just about any organisation with an office. I was unemployed for 6 months before taking this job although i did 3 days a week volunteering for a charity, no sitting at home and daytime TV for me. Previous job interviewers seemed to like this.

Although I had no response ar rhe time, a few of these employers have now contacted me and seem keen to hold interviews. I know only too well how unstable and insecure the current job market is, so here is the question - is it better so sit tight and hope my current role lasts for some time or look for something else now providing the potential employer can offer something long term (whatever long term means these days)? When is the best time to "move on" in the current job market?

I will also mention that I am over 50 - age discrimination is very common with employers, I have encountered plenty off it. My main concern is to stay in employment, at my age I'm not fussy about what the job actually is - as long as it's legal I'll consider it.

Thamks.

For me that would make me listen to other offers and see what is out there more secure
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    For me that would make me listen to other offers and see what is out there more secure

I will be doing that but it really is very difficult to know what to do for the best.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really see the issue.

I'd just keep the temp job ongoing, whilst attending interviews and pursuing full time and permanent positions. Clearly, keeping the temp job until you source something better, as you said, it is far easier to move from one job, whilst you're already in one. Of course, you have no real job security at present, therefore it is importnant to keep searching for other viable options, always have a safety net. Good luck, hope you secure a permanent post!