Games that everybody seems to hate apart from you

Comments

• Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    CoD 1 as in on the PC?

I liked AC 1 at the time. To a degree. It struck me as a tech demo. After the first couple of assassinations it was very much rinse and repeat. Played it again when it came bundled with one of the later games. Frankly it was terrible.

I think it was PC only at the time although I have it on my XBox 360 as I didn't play it until much later. It's now called 'Call of Duty Classic'. It is by far my favourite of the franchise mainly because every single mission design was unique and memorable. I love the 1940s world building and even though the guns were simplistic they were distinguished and recognisable. I would recommend any die-hard COD fan to play it if they haven't already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    COD1!
    It's not 'hated' as such but very, very underrated. It's my fave COD game.

Also, Assassin's Creed 1 - a lot of people say it's really repetitive with rigid mechanics but I love it and I love the 'death speeches' each Templar makes to Altair with the cryptic warnings alluding to Al Mualim being grand Templar.

Love ac1 might be basic and some what repetitive but it was a breath of fresh air and start of a game series that I have stuck with ac3 wasn't the best but still not a bad game.

Fable 3 is a game that I really like yes its linear compared to 1 & 2 but it has a superb voice cast and some great game play elements
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Dare I say it, I also enjoyed Resident Evil 6; better than RE 5 !

Sure some of the gameplay was clumsy and some of the monster designs were just awful, but the setting(s) looked good, as did the graphics and the characters were interesting in an typical 'arcade' sort of way.. The game went at an action-packed pace and it was hilarious to see Japanese developers attempting to bring an 'Call of Duty' style to the franchise!
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homefront was hated by quite a few folk, i really enjoyed it though.
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Final Fantasy X-2. I think its one of the most fun RPG's out there.
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two that spring to mind recently are sonic unleashed ( 360 version ) and prince of persia 2008. Both had their problems but they was very enjoyable.

The daytime levels of unleashed were incredible, some of the best none mario 3D platforming levels ever created for me personally.

The combat in pop 2008 was complete garbage and the game as a whole was a little easy, but how beutiful the world was and how likeable the two main characters were made me ignore its flaws.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Homefront was hated by quite a few folk, i really enjoyed it though.

What was the general consensus on Homefront? I know a lot of people slammed it for having a really short campaign mode, but I don't think I've seen many people review the gameplay mechanics, or the story.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    What was the general consensus on Homefront? I know a lot of people slammed it for having a really short campaign mode, but I don't think I've seen many people review the gameplay mechanics, or the story.

I don't know tbh the gameplay was decent and mechanics were fine, the campaign was short but still had a good storyline to it.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I like to think it's because it had the difficult task of following Final Fantasy VII. A much loved game that was always going to be hard to live up to. But it honeslty does have problems, I just loved the world and the story so much that I didn't notice them at the time.

It was about a year or so after playing it that I started venturing on to forums, I had a shock when I first read people's opinions on it that's for sure! But then everyone seemed to hate IX when it first came out too. Us FF fans are weird, we seem to hate every new installment, fast forward 10 years and suddenly it's a classic. Not sure that will happen with XIII though.

It's nice to know there are other people who appreciate it's greatness!

I loved VIII too, also my second favourite in the series, losing to VII of course. And I love the junction system, it did take a while to get the hang of, but once you know it, it's a breeze.
    I wouldn't have thought people hated it tho.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought people hated it tho.

Oh yeah. I've known many people who claim that the junction system is too complicated and unnecessary, that is punishes you for using magic, that Squall is too emo, that the plot is too convoluted, that the other characters are too boring or unlikable.

I've even known people who hate triple triad, and hate that you have to win a lot of cards in order to truly get strong and to get certain items.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Oh yeah. I've known many people who claim that the junction system is too complicated and unnecessary, that is punishes you for using magic, that Squall is too emo, that the plot is too convoluted, that the other characters are too boring or unlikable.

I've even known people who hate triple triad, and hate that you have to win a lot of cards in order to truly get strong and to get certain items.

People hated triple triad :o

Don't get me wrong, there was one or two rules I hated, like random, but the card game was amazing.
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    My guilty pleasure is Sonic 06... :o:blush:
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Every bugger I know IRL hated it! Mostly 'misery guts' lead character.

I'm playing through it again right now and in all fairness he has a really good reason to be miserable.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    People hated triple triad :o

Don't get me wrong, there was one or two rules I hated, like random, but the card game was amazing.

I would replay the game just for the card game.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol. If you can get past all the issues the game has its a really good spy themed RPG.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoD Black Ops 2 and Ghosts. Their campaigns were naff, especially Ghosts but I like the multiplayer.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead island riptide . While not as good as the first . Was incredibly good fun.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mafia 2
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Resident Evil 6
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead island riptide . While not as good as the first . Was incredibly good fun.

Both Dead Islands were fun in co-op. Riptide felt more like a huge DLC package though.
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts but i'm going to say Final Fantasy VIII, it's not hated by everyone but it's a controversial game among FF fans, and the people that hate it seem to really hate it. It's my all time favourite game.

Thanks a bunch, I've now got the tune to Balamb Garden going through my head. :p
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I'm playing through it again right now and in all fairness he has a really good reason to be miserable.

He does indeed and I have no idea why ppl I know hated it!
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy games by Suda 51 more than the typical reviewer/gamer. I wish we would get a No More Heroes 3 but I don't think the first two were commercially successful enough. I also really like light gun games, even though most people now see them as an outdated genre.
  • Tiggeraspi123Tiggeraspi123 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    AC:3 I think it gets a lot of stick. I've been with the Assassin's Creed series from the start and loved every iteration that's been released. I got this on release so didn't have the negative reviews to sway me. I admit there were a few bugs at the start of the game and the story isn't as engaging as others but in my opinion I love the setting and the addition of the home front was one I enjoyed. Not the best in the series but I like it all the same.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    EDF 2025. Not a popular game but I rate it as being one of the best shooters of last gen, in some ways it's completely unrivaled, not because it does things other games don't do, but because it does them so well.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AC:3 I think it gets a lot of stick. I've been with the Assassin's Creed series from the start and loved every iteration that's been released. I got this on release so didn't have the negative reviews to sway me. I admit there were a few bugs at the start of the game and the story isn't as engaging as others but in my opinion I love the setting and the addition of the home front was one I enjoyed. Not the best in the series but I like it all the same.

Well said. It was a vast improvement over Revelations for a start and Connor is more eye candy than the other Assassins. ;-) I think some of the mechanics introduced was very good and I enjoyed the homestead missions. The only thing that troubled me was that Connor was completely detached from the Brotherhood; they never felt like a constant presence like in the previous AC games.