The Diamond Dealers

Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
Forum Member
Bit unfair that the irish lass got the dealer who was giving the diamond away for free basically, would have liked to see her try her charm on the guy Daniel had to deal with,

Comments

• Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit unfair that the irish lass got the dealer who was giving the diamond away for free basically, would have liked to see her try her charm on the guy Daniel had to deal with,

That guy seemed like he had his eye on Roisin...'my wifes blonde and I like blondes' was the line? Hope his wife gave him a good slap!

What did Karen mean by 'theres charm and there there is charm?' fake charm? or just lucky charm?
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was putty in Roisin's hands! :D
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was crazy, was there any specification given for the diamond ? How do we know the true value of the diamond,. I'm no expert, but I do know you can pick up similar size diamonds that vary enormously in price. It's not like buying gold, that has a specific price according to weight and carat value.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of this process is down to luck. Mark got a guy that wanted to buy 7 hottubs off him last week, if that isn't a stroke of luck then I don't know what is.
  • LostindexLostindex Posts: 2,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very true !!!!!
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    A lot of this process is down to luck. Mark got a guy that wanted to buy 7 hottubs off him last week, if that isn't a stroke of luck then I don't know what is.

True, Daniel knew straight away what a kosher chicken was and had the cultural currency to get a discount and quickly. Sanjay looked like he was struggling to work out what it was, and it should be the easiest item to source in London. But you could say Roisin more than made up for that by seducing the diamond dealer.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    True, Daniel knew straight away what a kosher chicken was and had the cultural currency to get a discount and quickly. Sanjay looked like he was struggling to work out what it was, and it should be the easiest item to source in London. But you could say Roisin more than made up for that by seducing the diamond dealer.

Had she done it to the other dealer he would have thrown her out, I mean the guy seemed to be insulted by Daniel wanting to pay £150 while the perv dealer started at £130 . It makes no sense how two dealers in the same building charged two different starting costs. Had Daniel gotten the Perv dealer his sob story about trying to get the diamond for his future wife would have had just as much effect as Rosion had.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny to think that bloke will have told everyone that he's on the Apprentice tonight, with all his friends and family watching, and he comes across as a right desperate perv who got played like a fiddle.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Had she done it to the other dealer he would have thrown her out, I mean the guy seemed to be insulted by Daniel wanting to pay £150 while the perv dealer started at £130 . It makes no sense how two dealers in the same building charged two different starting costs. Had Daniel gotten the Perv dealer his sob story about trying to get the diamond for his future wife would have had just as much effect as Rosion had.

Luck of the draw really, as usual with this kind of task (it has been the other way around in the past, with a guy getting discounts from a female dealer). You have to deal the cards that you have been given.

Ironically, it seems that Roisin's phoning upfront did help (Daniel and Felipe obviously went in totally blind).
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member

Indeed and how did they end up in the same building, or pick their dealer, or how could they know what a realistic cost would be. If they can't shop around, how can they compare prices to choose supplier and bargain effectively - isn't it just luck which buyer they pick , or predetermined if the producers fix the appointment?

The diamond also seems difficult to specify too - it seems to depend on a host of factors http://www.danielprince.co.uk/The_Truth_About_Diamonds.htm so what looks like a good deal on some criteria may not be worth what you buy it for.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    That guy seemed like he had his eye on Roisin...'my wifes blonde and I like blondes' was the line? Hope his wife gave him a good slap!

What did Karen mean by 'theres charm and there there is charm?' fake charm? or just lucky charm?

Natural charm, and fake charm, or trying it on charm.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »

I think it just meant that Roisin didn't just have charm, she had loads of charm. Humongous amounts of charm!
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way Karren gave Roisin a pass for using her sex appeal to seduce the dealer into letting the diamond go cheap. Surely not a trait deemed necessary for a serious businesswoman

What a hypocrite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree - had she got the other dealer no she wouldn't have gotten as good a deal but she has a tact that may very well have worked better on Daniel's dealer than Daniel's particular tact. Also had Daniel had Roisin's dealer yes he probably could have got a better deal but again he probably would not have got have a good deal for 2 reasons 1) he just isn't a tactful negotiator 2) Roisin knew the dealer liked her and took full advantage of that fairly subtly (by Apprentice standards) this is also ignoring the fact that she rang up and organised it which could also have been a factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the way Karren gave Roisin a pass for using her sex appeal to seduce the dealer into letting the diamond go cheap. Surely not a trait deemed necessary for a serious businesswoman

What a hypocrite

I went out the room at the crucial moment and missed what happened here. What did she actively do to deploy this "sex appeal"? If the guy just happened to fancy her, that's not her fault. But if she smushed her tits in his face or something, then your criticism is fair.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing as unsubtle as that, but it's clearly what she was doing, he could barely talk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing as unsubtle as that, but it's clearly what she was doing, he could barely talk

Hardly she flirted a bit but only because she could see he was into her and she decided to push it a bit to get an advantage. In business you take any advantage you can - she didn't go in there planning on flirting it was clearly an on the spot decision made to try and get a few extra quid off, morally a bit grey maybe but hardly unethical or sexist. Take Jedi Jim from series 7 he did a similar thing with some of the females he dealt with and the example that springs to mind is when he dealt with the woman in the shop I can't remember what he was negotiating the price of but it was for the negotiation task and no one so much as batted an eyelid. Conclusion because the roles are reversed that and its a female contestant doing the flirting its suddenly hypocritical and not a serious businesswoman? The double standards of some people.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not double standards. It's because The Apprentice always has a bit in the first few episodes when it's an all girls team showing some of them trying to get a advantage using their womanly wiles and this is reprimanded or edited negatively. Roisin got a rosy edit for essentially doing the same thing later in the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    It's not double standards. It's because The Apprentice always has a bit in the first few episodes when it's an all girls team showing some of them trying to get a advantage using their womanly wiles and this is reprimanded or edited negatively. Roisin got a rosy edit for essentially doing the same thing later in the series.

But my point is that in the early weeks the girls go out and do that where as Roisin had no initial intention of doing any such thing (as far as we saw with nothing to contradict that) making this completely different in that it was an on the spot decision to take advantage of the situation. Add on my point that this was basically what Jedi Jim did in series 7 with no one so much as batting an eyelid and it is very much a case of double standards. Had she gone in there all flirty right from the off - maybe even wearing a slightly more revealing dress then yes I would agree but she acted professionally and just took advantage of what was his weakness. This whole idea of taking advantage of weakness isn't necessarily pleasant but occurs all the time in business and we see it all the time on the show. Just this year Nurun in episode 2, Ella Jade when she was PM and Felipe this episode all are examples of weakness being shown and them losing out because of it. My point is that to say that this one incident is wrong and all the others are fine (which by the relatively few complaints there were which were rather mild at that in comparison) is completely double standards.
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member

Were the dealers working for the same company?

I assumed not because the prices were so different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do we know they were in the same building? Did I miss something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Sizing up some sparkle a few doors down." were the words used by the narrator from about 22.43 onwards so that's how we know it was the same building.
  • CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The voice over said something like 'meanwhile the other team are in a room down the corridor'. I don't know, but I suspect that the dealers are independent, and pay rent for the premises.

I don't know what Daniel was doing with his wedding story. How did he explain the BBC cameras and Karren?
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    Cythna wrote: »
    The voice over said something like 'meanwhile the other team are in a room down the corridor'. I don't know, but I suspect that the dealers are independent, and pay rent for the premises.

I don't know what Daniel was doing with his wedding story. How did he explain the BBC cameras and Karren?

Indeed it was beyond silly. They would have to ask him if he minded them filming him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cythna wrote: »

Karren was playing the fiancé probably. Not sure who Felipe was supposed to be - the best man?

Previous contestants have said they have to ask for permission to film but they say it's for a documentary and can't mention the actual show name.