Options

Will you bother watching snooker when Ronnie retires?

scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ronnie at his best is the best player that has ever lived and if he aint in an event then the event is already pretty boring. I usually stop watching when Ronnie is out.

Comments

• Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but that is how I always felt, and if that means I ain't a snooker fan then so be it.

When Ronnie is out I switch off and couldn't care less, only Jimmy White had the same effect on me, but back then there were more interesting characters\players too.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch Super Sunday when Hull City aren't on because I am a football fan. I watch Super League when Hull KR aren't on because I am a Rugby League fan. I watch cricket when Yorkshire aren't on because I am a cricket fan. I watch snooker regardless who is playing because I am a snooker fan.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronnie doesn't even play the vast majority of the tournaments now, snooker certainly doesn't suffer from it, there are plenty of a variety of players out there, yes I admit there are some players (I won't name them) that I find a bit boring to watch at times but on the whole I just love watching snooker.

As a Liverpool fan, there is a saying we have, ''No player is bigger than the club''. Its the same thing with snooker, no player (even Ronnie) is bigger than the sport itself, sure he brings in viewers and sells out crowds but in the end, Ronnie probably needs snooker more than snooker needs Ronnie.

The future is bright too, we've seen in this tournament there are several youngsters out there who could get to the top, I enjoy watching players I've never seen before just as much as Ronnie/Judd/Allen etc... simply because I just like watching snooker.
  • Options
    NWScotsNWScots Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly will continue to watch it. I've been a huge Ronnie fan since his (and my) teenage years but he isn't the only thing the game is about. I stayed up until nearly 1am on Wednesday morning to see the conclusion of a very interesting and exciting match which had nothing whatsoever to do with him. Quality play comes from many players these days so it's not hard to find a match you'll enjoy. Young talented players coming through all the time too so I like to think the game is safe for some time yet.

All that said, I would still be gutted if Ronnie retired as I'll always have a soft spot for him.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    No, infact I'll probably watch it more without the petulant sod to worry about.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup and miss out on more of today right :)
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amen to that. Snooker was around before O'Sullivan and it will still be around after him.

Same with darts and Phil Taylor.

The question that needs answering is how will the BBC snooker team cope when Ronnie retires? Who will be the future player that gets constantly arse licked?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course we'll watch it when that happens!
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched a lot less since Hendry retired but few things in sport can better the multi-session format of the Worlds at the Crucible.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I also don't agree he's the best player that's ever lived. The stats certainly don't back that assertion up.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to say it but that is how I always felt, and if that means I ain't a snooker fan then so be it.

When Ronnie is out I switch off and couldn't care less, only Jimmy White had the same effect on me, but back then there were more interesting characters\players too.[/QUOTE]

There were and Snooker will never be bigger than it was in the eighties, but it was just fortunate that everything fell into place back then to propel the game to multi-million tv audiences. The journeymen pros at the time suddenly became stars and they just happened to be as diverse a bunch as it was possible to be. Add in Steve Davis as the ultimate robotic panto villain and enough **** and booze to keep Alex Higgins happy and it couldn't fail really.
    One difference today is that modern sports/games demand professionalism right down to fitness and nutrition, psychology etc. The upshot is that you tend to get a lot of dedicated, fit but ultimately rather bland participants-and there are a lot more of them. Chalk and cheese when comparing to the eighties.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course yes. Always have and always will. I have been following and enjoying snooker since I was a kid (back in the dark ages) :) No player is bigger than the game.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Yes - of course. He's good to watch but so is everyone else (to me as I appreciate different styles of play). I'm a snooker fan rather than solely a Ronnie fan. I watched it before he played and I'll watch it when he's retired too.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of bloody course. :D
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Ronnie but find his games hard to watch sometimes due to a few moronic fans shouting "GO ON RONNIE!" every two minutes.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You aint a fan of snooker if you are gonna stop watching after Ronnie's departure.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Ronnie's getting slow these days. Used to make 147s in a lot less than 8 minutes.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Madsocks wrote: »
    Amen to that. Snooker was around before O'Sullivan and it will still be around after him.

Same with darts and Phil Taylor.

The question that needs answering is how will the BBC snooker team cope when Ronnie retires? Who will be the future player that gets constantly arse licked?

Exactly Snooker existed before Ronnie O'Sullivan & will after him, i'll still be watching Snooker when he retires.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing.

The point is some people claim they love snooker, darts or tennis but in reality are only fans of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Phil Taylor, Eric Bristow, Jockey Wilson, Andy Murray, Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal but are not really fans of the sports they say they love, and suddenly they disappear quicker than snow off a dyke when they have retired or retire, or they don't watch the rest of the tournament once they get knocked out early.

I think that's very sad that people are only fans of the sportsman who's playing the sport and not a fan of the actual sport concerned at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly Snooker existed before Ronnie O'Sullivan & will after him, i'll still be watching Snooker when he retires.

Snooker always has been and always will be bigger than any competitor who's ever played it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james2018 wrote: »
    You aint a fan of snooker if you are gonna stop watching after Ronnie's departure.

I hope everybody who claims they love snooker and tennis still watches snooker extensively when O'Sullivan retires, and still watches tennis extensively year round when Nadal, Murray and Federer retire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course yes. Always have and always will. I have been following and enjoying snooker since I was a kid (back in the dark ages) :) No player is bigger than the game.

Exactly. Nobody has ever totally mastered the game and nobody ever will.
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    That's the thing.

The point is some people claim they love snooker, darts or tennis but in reality are only fans of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Phil Taylor, Eric Bristow, Jockey Wilson, Andy Murray, Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal but are not really fans of the sports they say they love, and suddenly they disappear quicker than snow off a dyke when they have retired or retire, or they don't watch the rest of the tournament once they get knocked out early.

I think that's very sad that people are only fans of the sportsman who's playing the sport and not a fan of the actual sport concerned at all.

I am one of those people -- but in fairness I don't claim to love snooker. In fact, I spent years avoiding it when it was on and certainly would never have tuned into it on purpose!!

But through some fluke (I was working on a project and didn't turn over when the snooker started!) I watched a match during the early rounds of the 2012 world championships. It was Ronnie playing (can't remember who) and even though I knew nothing about the game, or Ronnie I found myself really interested. I followed his progress through the rest of that tournament and since then try to watch his matches whenever I can.

I have now learned more about the other players, and more about how they play and I will watch matches where Ronnie isn't playing -- but never with the same interest or investment. I watch Ronnie's matches willing and wanting him to play well; I watch others and can appreciate when they play well, but rarely care who wins and wouldn't be too fussed to miss them.

So I guess for me when Ronnie retires I'll watch very occasionally unless some other player captures my interest in the same way.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotty22 wrote: »
    Ronnie at his best is the best player that has ever lived and if he aint in an event then the event is already pretty boring. I usually stop watching when Ronnie is out.

I personally probably won't but I am more of a casual snooker fan, I enjoy watching Ronnie play but being honest none of the other players excite me that much. The more hard core fans will continue watching though.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    That's the thing.

I agree, but it's too tricky to watch everything, so it's inevitable people prioritise the matches of those they feel more of a connection to, and celeb status is an influence. Giving up a sport altogether because one player retires just means you aren't a fan of the sport.

A couple of years ago when a lot of the big names fell early at Wimbledon, it was interesting to see how different people reacted. Some thought it was a disaster, and had no interest if there was no bandwagoning glory available to them, while others embraced the opportunity to give others more air time, so we could learn about them instead.