Options

4oD - Channel 4 make archive content available for free - your thoughts?

A couple of weeks back Channel 4 became the first UK broadcaster to make the majority of their archive content available for free on the Channel 4 site
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od
I'm working with C4 to spread this news via forums and chatrooms, to people who will actually use the service, so I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the service.

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a lot better than 4oD was. On Vista there were numerous problems with the programme and at times all you got was a white screen.

Now, due to it being online, it is available to anyone. What about an iPhone version a la BBC iPlayer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    No word on an iPhone version - would be ace though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I thoroughly enjoy it. I never liked the desktop client and always used the online streaming, but the service itself is easy to use, simple and with the range of programs to watch now, there is a wide range of content.

Also, a mobile version would be fantastic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Great service ! I was watching a few episodes of Grand Designs on it yesterday and it works great.

Is there any chance of you putting Treasure Hunt on it? :)
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    Another vote on an iPhone version!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    Great service ! I was watching a few episodes of Grand Designs on it yesterday and it works great.

Is there any chance of you putting Treasure Hunt on it? :)
    Not sure on Treasure Hunt - I know that certain programmes have been excluded for licensing reasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    they don't allow downloading of their programmes, do they... that makes it less useful...
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that some programmes are available via streaming that aren't available on DVD... Lipstick on your Collar for instance (am rewatching that at present)... could the streaming clearance be a way of bypassing the extra hassle when a lot of commercial songs are used in the narrative, as in a lot of old Dennis Potter stuff?
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah it is a good idea for Channel 4 to put some of their archive stuff up on the web. I watched Porterhouse Blue that way. Great. Sadly ITV have dropped their archive stuff(A Bit of a Do, Cracker, Brideshead, etc) up on their website. Why? Do ITV want to go down the pan completely?