Options

EE: 15 Grand For A Funeral? Pull The Other One!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly would be included in a premium package, that is not in the normal one?

O, of course the person who makes sure the horses take the carriage to the church and not for a trip up the highstreet will have to be paid, as well as the transport to and from the funeral, I can't imagine the stables being really closeby somehow, so they will have to transport 4 horses and a carriage, that means at least one horse truck and whatever it is you put the carriage in, plus the drivers.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Identity wrote: »
    Does the reverend get a fee? I haven't got a clue on that one to be honest.
    They sure do. It's a nice little earner
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I suppose the horses will cost a lot

and they don't get paid :(

All you really need is the cheapest coffin for a cremation.
    A service is not even necessary.
    A biggish room in a pub for a memorial bash would not cost a lot as the Landlord would be selling the booze.
  • Options
    Sapphire SunSapphire Sun Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Ivory219 wrote: »
    I thought I had heard it wrong!
    My mums funeral was £4000 including 4 black horses and carraige! No idea what is included for £15,000 :-O

Reincarnation and a day with Derek Acorah.:D
  • Options
    Ivory219Ivory219 Posts: 74
    Forum Member

Hahaha You would expect that for £15,000 wouldn't you! :eek:
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    my mum always said that she'd rather have flowers to enjoy when was alive & could enjoy them & that what good are flowers for dead people
    Funerals just bump up florists bank accounts

My mum always said the same...she loved flowers. :D After realizing how much funerals cost when my parents died I bought myself a nice woodland burial plot so that my kids never have to worry...I'm always threatening to take my garden chair and a picnic up there so I get my moneys worth :p
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what I'd have told that undertaker about his ''discount'':eek::mad:

Imagine all the business Pat has put his way over the years with the high death rate in Walford? The bloody cheek of him!:mad:
  • Options
    blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what I'd have told that undertaker about his ''discount'':eek::mad:

Imagine all the business Pat has put his way over the years with the high death rate in Walford? The bloody cheek of him!:mad:

I think all the business from Walford is why he's in retirement :D

Perhaps he's trying to reclaim any money he put Pat's way in the past!
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    especially loved the 'charge by the letter' yeh we'll just have pat :D

That was soooo funny :D
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Identity wrote: »
    Bigger than average coffin. And not a plain one either, I suspect.

David mentioned the coffin tonight so I think we can pretty much guarantee that it's going to be top of the range!
    Does the reverend get a fee? I haven't got a clue on that one to be honest.

The 'Reverend' at the my mum-in-laws funeral last year charged over £500. It was her local church which she had been attending since 1953 and she stumped up a fair amount every week when the plate came round and didn't even get the tiniest of discounts for her funeral. I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, if they had said we'll do it for such a price (lower) I would have told them to charge the normal price but it was the principle to me. 57 years she'd gone to that church *tuts*
    The crows, will they do that themselves, or are they hired?

Crows? I've never heard of crows at a funeral :eek:
    No food or flowers, they are taking that elsewhere, reception is at the Vic, caterer will be Ian, for free, just this once.

It's a wonder the businesses make any money in Walford the amount of freebies they give out when they're being neighbourly! How many times have we heard the landlord or lady of the Vic saying "Drinks are on thee 'owse!!!" :D
    It will be an expensive affair, but that amount? It's more likely he is trying to earn back every penny he ever spent on her.

Do you think that, ahem, Pat had "had 'im" in the past? :D
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL!!!! :D:D:D

Seeing Derek being taken over by the spirit of Pat would be one of the funniest things EVER :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Bring on queen Janine and her cheque book :D
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Agree with both of the above posts. I think perhaps those who are shocked at the price, are fortunate enough not to have had to arrange a funeral. They are hugely expensive. It's like planning a wedding and the costs are comparable.

The cost of a funeral has risen something like 67% in the last 7 years and the average cost last year was £7,500 (according to my quick research online just now); and that's buying a fairly basic coffin, flowers, smaller cars, cheaper burial plot etc.

There are the big expenses: the burial plot, the coffin,(the choice of which is mind numbing), headstone etc, and then all the associated costs, the funeral palour, the church, the hearse, the cars, the funeral directors on the day, printing up funeral service booklets, flowers, the wake, catering etc, etc, etc. Believe me it all adds up very quickly.
    And no one wants to skimp on a funeral of a close relative, especially a parent.

A "premier" funeral could easily be £20k+ so with a discount £15K sounds about right.

I should add that the cost of funerals are more expensive in London and the South East; especially for the big expenses such as the burial plot, you're buying land, and generally London funeral directors charged more for just about everything!.

I had to look up the cost of a funeral last year and the costs seemed tro be around £2, 400. Maybe the burial plots in my neck of the woods are a lot cheaper? London has been runnijg out of current graveyard spaces for more than 10 years now.

One of my clients once gave a careers talk at Ashbridge Management College. Small world. :)

Hey! :) Its quite a nice place, the film "The Other Boleyn girl" I think it was called was partly filmed there, so quite a few Hollywood stars where there. I wonder if thats why EE chose to film those scenes there as well? Hoping to meet the Hollywood film crew?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    They sure do. It's a nice little earner

and they don't get paid :(

All you really need is the cheapest coffin for a cremation.
    A service is not even necessary.
    A biggish room in a pub for a memorial bash would not cost a lot as the Landlord would be selling the booze.

I heard recently that a lot of the coffins that are "used" for cremations are re-used a lot! I wonder if they charge full whack every time though?
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    I thought the premier package was 15k but they would see plenty of change. That's what I heard anyway.
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    To be fair its a big coffin

to be fair she will be quite alot smaller after shes died and will no doubt be in an average sized one :D

i said this on the thread in last nights episode 15k is laughable - we just had a lovely funeral for 3k mind ours was a small family run business not one of these huge companies who throw catalogues in your face letting you choose £8,000 caskets :D

once again ridiculous story writing that a family who was about to lose the family home and selling off kids xmas presents would fork out 15k when they have no money.
    i know janine came to the rescue in the end with a cheque but they had already agreed with the funeral director before that.
    get a grip writers !
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivory219 wrote: »
    I thought I had heard it wrong!
    My mums funeral was £4000 including 4 black horses and carraige! No idea what is included for £15,000 :-O

do you live up north? perhaps its cheaper up here but yes, we got everything included for about 3K mind we did our own flowers and only had 1 family car for immediate family the undertaker never even asked us what coffin we fancied he just said would you like the regular that everyone goes for? and described the wood & handles which we were happy with, he was lovely and just took care of everything we hardly had anything to do, and to be honest after the funeral we were abit "Heck we never actually asked the price" but i was shocked it was so cheap as i did expect over 5K.
    :)

• Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the premier package was 15k but they would see plenty of change. That's what I heard anyway.

That was an ambigious answer though. How much change exactly and if a lot then why mention 15 grand in the first place? It is a rip off imo as sadly people die all the time so most of them will probably be kept in business. Having said that, the funeral companies will have lots of costs to meet themselselves though but I'm not sure to the extent that they need to charge that much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain in 2012 .... can't afford to live .... certainly can't afford to die!!! :cool:
  • Options
    PacinoFanPacinoFan Posts: 3,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he said £15,000, I was surprised. Are they going to take his word for it or check on the internet for a more competitive price. Seems rather shortsighted. A man with a dry voice turns up with a brochure and they hire him? Whats all that about?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I heard recently that a lot of the coffins that are "used" for cremations are re-used a lot! I wonder if they charge full whack every time though?

I wouldn't mind being cremated without a coffin.

I don't like the idea of being in a cramped wooden box:o