Top Up TV has Been Put In Freeview Forum

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
Forum Member
✭✭
In case you haven't noticed Top Up TV appears to have ceased to be a seperate forum under the DTT.

And am I the only one who can not access the threads or is this due to the forums being linked together?

Comments

• Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I'm unable to access ex TUTV threads too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe due to having just been moved into the main freeview forum.

Will try tomorrow.

Anyway as a follow up to my last post on TUTV content you now pay just £13.99 a month for Picture Box and TV Favourites they have all been put together as one package.

And according to customer service National Geographic content should still download so I need to turn off my National Geographic provider for about an hour tonight then turn it on again and it should start downloading again.

I don't think this will happen as the guide doesn't show any programmes for National Geographic and that normally means even if the programmes is broadcasting the box won't download it as there is nothing to activate the box to pick up the programme.

Anyone else still using TV Favourites on TUTV and is National Geographic content been downloaded and more importantly is a real programme or just the TopUp TV Anytime symbol going round and around like I had on Saturday.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    In case you haven't noticed Top Up TV appears to have ceased to be a seperate forum under the DTT.

And am I the only one who can not access the threads or is this due to the forums being linked together?

I assume, TV Time Mike, this is because nowadays there are just too few new threads to justify a separate Top Up TV forum. Top Up TV's place as a Freeview plus service appears to be being supplanted by newer services like the IPTV channels starting on channel 228 upwards and, of course, Youview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very reasonable conclusion which I must agree with.

Anyway to follow up my last post the suggestion from Customer Service was a bust. Got this grim little feeling the National Geographic service is on the way out but they are unable or unaware so can't tell me.

I really had hoped for this to keep running a little longer as the new content set to download up to 30th August looked very interesting.

Ah well what can you do about it. Only up side is with a reduction in the cost it will save me some cash and when the service goes it will save me some more. Still shame they couldn't have kept things going just a little longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoke to TUTV again this morning and they confirmed that there had been a problem with the download on Saturday but the issue had been cleared and that the DTR in their office was downloading okay and the website still listed programmes.

So the very nice lady suggested I give it 24 hours more and get back to them tomorrow if still no joy on National Geographic download. It just gets my goat that the first time a few weeks there is something worth watching on this service and I am missing them. Ah nuts!:mad:

Not a perfect situation all things being equal but they are trying to help which is something.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just gets my goat that the first time a few weeks there is something worth watching on this service and I am missing them. Ah nuts!:mad:

Not a perfect situation all things being equal but they are trying to help which is something.

I'm not being rude or trying to flame you but as a regular reader of your posts I have long been bemused by your perseverance with TUTV. However, you seem to be moving from the sublime to the ridiculous. Everyone else knows that TUTV are now the living dead so break free from the money grasping hands of the corpse! You can do it if you try really hard. :)
  • gazzatheredgazzathered Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Misar thats a bit mean hoywever I dint understand Mikes aversion to the internet.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    I'm not being rude or trying to flame you but as a regular reader of your posts I have long been bemused by your perseverance with TUTV. However, you seem to be moving from the sublime to the ridiculous. Everyone else knows that TUTV are now the living dead so break free from the money grasping hands of the corpse! You can do it if you try really hard. :)

Poor TV Time Mike will be there till the bitter end (ie some time in November) staring at a blank screen while everyone else has moved years ago. He cant get Freesat (not sure why) Doesn't want the Internet (waste of money) so IPTV is out of the running. So for whatever reasons he's stuck with DTT offerings.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor TV Time Mike will be there till the bitter end (ie some time in November) staring at a blank screen while everyone else has moved years ago. He cant get Freesat (not sure why) Doesn't want the Internet (waste of money) so IPTV is out of the running. So for whatever reasons he's stuck with DTT offerings.

why not PlusNets possible soon to launch Youview service? http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1865557 I already said here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68085711&postcount=384 about how cheap PlusNets basic broadband pack is, which with a possible YouView service, cant be that different a price to the top up TV sub price.

Also how is TV Time Mike posting on here without an internet connection? or is he using someone else's?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    Misar thats a bit mean hoywever I dint understand Mikes aversion to the internet.

I think you're all being more than a little unfair and judgemental. There are no doubt valid infrastructure, location, family and general economic circumstances why TV Time Mike only has a digital terrestrial service and so we should not be judging or making fun of the position of others. At least lotrjw directly above made a constructive suggestion about Plusnet and a 10/10 for doing that.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't want the Internet (waste of money)...

I don't really get why someone would consider internet access to be a waste of money and TUTV to be anything else. TUTV simply doesn't have enough hours left to provide value for money. The fact that they don't even make full use of the few hours they do have just makes the situation worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow who would have though folks where so interested in little old me.

We got TUTV for my father when he came out of hospital shortly after it started. We liked it and stuck with it. It use to be great for the whole family, cartoons for the children, films and dramas for us all very handy just plug and play.

To answer a few questions re why has he stayed with TUTV.

1) 90% of what we watch is on Freeview, to get proper pay TV therefore is a waste.

2) In order to set up a freesat dish we would need to be able to get the correct angle on the satillite, we can't a chap came out and checked. The buildings around us block getting a good signal.

3) I have access to the internet via an outside source so I can post on here and do all the other things like check the weather, visit online stores etc. thanks to a friend of mine who has access.

4) IPTV is a waste of money for reason 1) above. You have to pay for line rental I don't want to do that.

5) We have a landline phone so don't use a mobile and I don't see the big wow about having broadband at home. Not seeing when it's just more power being wasted and more EM smog being added to the enviroment. My children use internet access at our local library and via friends where a close eye is kept on what they acessing with parental locks etc. used as required. Call me over protective but I'd like my children to have a childhood not be texting and stuck to a screen like it was all that matters.

Plus as my mother is rather ill and is set to remain so for the foreseeable future. We try to reduce her stress which would go through the roof if we had some twit from Sky or Virigin came running cables etc. round the house even for one day. She reacts badly to any change to routine and I'd much rather not make her worse, call me silly but I try to be a caring son.

Oh and no I'm not some cave dwelling ludite who hates the modern world I just prefer to not have all this stuff at home plus considering the harm of tweeter, trolls etc. etc. I can see no value to it.

This is just my view and if no one likes it, well that's your view.

And I still find it handy for a few films etc. and yes I know it's a waste but it's about the only thing I spend money on that is for me and when the service winds down that money will go to paying bills again and may even leave us with a penny or two to bless ourselves with as my Granny use to say.
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To answer a few questions re why has he stayed with TUTV.

1) 90% of what we watch is on Freeview, to get proper pay TV therefore is a waste.
    You don't need TUTV to have Freeview. If most of what you watch is on Freeview and you aren't that bothered when TUTV does eventually close, why don't you just leave it now and use the money saved on something better?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a landline phone but refuse to pay line rental? If you have a landline you are already paying your line rental. PlusNet broadband (with tv probably) would be cheaper than TUTV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm beginning to wish I'd never bothered posting anything here or anywhere else.

Okay I know I can get freeview without TUTV but at the moment there are a few films worth watching here and there with no adverts, no 'and next' at the end of the movie and a few documentary that are of interest to me. When it's gone fine I can't do much about that but while it's here I intend to use it and enjoy it. I really some of soapy American Drama's too

Very true I am paying line rental for the phone but I use that and therefore as that is all I want to use the line for I am happy with the current set up. As I don't want TV, phone and broadband via Talk Talk, PlusNet or BT.

What I think most of you don't understand is why anyone would use this forum if they aren't a big fan of tech and don't want the latest best all singing and dancing new way of watch films etc.

Well I use it find out if new films are coming on, what new services are available on freeview and when it was running find out if my problems with TUTV where just affecting me or a wider issue for other subscribers.

Maybe being an older parent has made me somewhat anti tech as I see what harm it can do to young children and the tragic deaths of teenagers from trolls etc. or maybe having spent half my life working in what are called third world countries I understand that tech is very unimportant when faced with real problems and that spending a day with those you love beats most things hands down.

I just like to be able to voice a view without wishing I'd kept quiet but hey in free society everyone has their right to their own view.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I sympathise a little with TV Time Mike, though I'm not sure I'd be quite so draconian with the kids, but as he (and many other people) point out, it's a free world and you can pick and choose what you want from the plethora of services on offer, and never underestimate the power of pester power. I am sure his kids are happy either way. I managed a childhood free of IT, and am deadly keen on it, so no long term harm done ;-)

Similarly, I'm a Sky and Virgin refusenik - I have Virgin Broadband (and very good it is too), and it took considerable gymnastic contortions from the latter as I didn't want their TV (it was free at the time for a limited period, they couldn't understand why I'd turn it down), nor did I want a Virgin landline (more expensive and less reliable than BT, which I already had).

Sky just doesn't have the kind of programmes I get excited about, and seems, very, very expensive for what you get. If I want to watch a film, I'll wait till it's on terrestrial or I'll buy the DVD on Amazon or Ebay. If I wanted satellite TV, it would be for foreign language broadcasting - the kind Sky doesn't do.

No-one is forcing me to get either, though you can occasionally see people aghast that I don't subscribe to either (as I am not poverty stricken). I managed a team a while back, and I was the only one in the team to subscribe to neither.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you.

And yes I am rather hard on my children. I tell them that computers and all other IT and tech things are tools to be used, not depended on. From when they where very young we use to make a game of them working out change from shops or the prices of things. They are still a wonder at mental calculations and the same with spelling.

Most of their interest plus mine are based around practical things like making models, casting toy soldiers in plaster or metal. Painting, hiking. We are a very hands on family. My wife was born in the West Indies and her family where never very well off so making do and making your own entertainment was very important. We have tried to do the same form our children. I don't think they feel that deprived. Sadly they are big cartoon fans like me so it was really hard not giving way sometimes to be able to see tom & jerry etc. but I picked up a few box sets from a local charity shop so that worked out as plus on two fronts.:)

I know I'm a dying breed these days but I hope that at the end of the day if my children have anything to say about it's that he tried to be a good father.

Any way enough back slapping I'll pull my shoulder.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    They are still a wonder at mental calculations and the same with spelling.

Most of their interest plus mine are based around practical things like making models, casting toy soldiers in plaster or metal. Painting, hiking.

All worthy skills and I'm sure they will thank you for it. Newer generations tend to lack practical skills (studies have shown) so they might find themselves in high demand.

But back to the topic... you could get a broadband connection plus YouView for marginally more than you're paying for TUTV (you are paying for line rental already). You can wire the router direct to the YouView box, turn off the wifi and not tell anybody about it.

Even though I utterly detest TalkTalk and the company are an utter shambles, even with them (don't go with them, they're rubbish) you'd probably get a better service than from TUTV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Got this grim little feeling the National Geographic service is on the way out but they are unable or unaware so can't tell me.

Your hunch was correct, Mike.

The National Geographic lozenge has now disappeared from the Top Up TV menu system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depressing isn't it!

However the website still lists national geographic programmes some going upto the end of the second week in Sept.

At least when TV Box went they fairly quickly got the programmes off the 14 day listing guide.

I just wish the customer service team either where a little more honest or where kept in the loop as it would save their time and mine.

As I say it was just an added pain as for the first time in a month or so there looked like some very interesting new content due to download for the next couple of weeks.

I wonder if National Geographic would ever set up a Quest like service on freeview it would mix in well with the other factual content and add some more variation to the content.
  • BainsyboyBainsyboy Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found some cracking programmes on tutv whilst I had the service and it is a shame that it seems to be being wound down.

One programme I am trying to find again is a tv series about a black Muslim copper that joined a terrorist cell that wanted to blow up America. Anybody got any idea what it was called?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the show you're referring too. I think it was part of the content under either Warner Drama or CBS drama.

Must admit in it's day TUTV really worked very well shame it's on it's last legs.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bainsyboy wrote: »
    One programme I am trying to find again is a tv series about a black Muslim copper that joined a terrorist cell that wanted to blow up America. Anybody got any idea what it was called?

Sleeper Cell?
  • gazzatheredgazzathered Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Sleeper Cell?

Yep it was Sleeper Cell.
  • BainsyboyBainsyboy Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wahey you lot are stars. Thanks very much :-)
    Like I posted above I was introduced to some cracking shows via tutv (although couldn't remember the name of that one lol) brotherhood was also a cracking series, first watched house via tutv plus a few more. I really cannot see how it got to where it is now. Nigh on every house had an aerial so can't see why it didn't do as well as it could have. The only thing I can think of is the dodgy boxes and also maybe people had dodgy reception (signal) I only had issues with missed downloads before I had a signal booster box installed after that no issues.
    Didn't really have much choice than to go with either sky or virgin as I wanted my sports and seeming as sky offered me sport entertainment extra and free band for £21.50 for 12 months I couldn't refuse. sky is Ok BUT I would go back to tutv for my sports in a flash and even pay extra for less channels as there is far too much crap on the sky platform and dare say virgin is the same. The free view platform dtt I know lol is much easier to navigate and as for finding recordings on a sky box.. Minefield. Also I have the 2tb sky box... Cutting edge technology apparently until you want to record two programmes and watch a third and then your stuffed and does happen on a regular basis. The sky app is the only real bonus for me. So it's a shame tutv couldn't of have made a deal and offered more.
    Once again thanks for the programme info.. I'm off searching for it now :-)