Options

First your hoover: next hair dryers, smartphones and kettles

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    no way, recycling sucks arse, i hate having like 9 bins of rubbish hanging around. All the recycling should be done at the other end, not on my door step. Would like to go back to one bin collected weekly. The EU can stick it's climate change dogma up its arse. It's yet another reason to vote UKIP. The only party to oppose these things.

Our masters in Brussels are looking at legislation now to force everyone to have 5 bins for 5 different types of recycling!!! I hope we vote to leave this disgusting organisation. I am for recycling, but nobody needs 5 bins.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Playing devils advocate for a moment, we all moaned about being forced to recycle back in the day but it's become a natural part of our daily life now. The idea that everything I now put in my recycling would have once gone into a tip is awful.

If the EU hadn't forced this through on a region wide basis I doubt that the national politicians would have ever had the political courage to do it. Maybe these limits would force manufactures to come up with better, more efficient designs.

All your rubbish goes to the same place anyway. Recycling just makes it easier for the council to deal with your 'recyclable' waste. And a lot of recyclable waste ends up in landfill anyway. But, for many people it's a feel good factor, thinking what you recycle is actually being recycled. Personally, I just need the extra bin space. I don't really give a shit about the future of this planet in terms of the human race. Harsh, but true.

If the EU wanted to make a good point, they'd fine government institutions like schools, hospitals, councils etc, which are huge wasters of energy. They'd also fine airlines for being environmentally unfriendly or at least tax them more. The same for car drivers, as cars are about as environmentally unfriendly as you can get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ... but I'm not the one who's complaining that they aren't likely to be as good! ;-)

The Hoover brand had some very high-wattage vacuums ... in the region of 2000W ... and although the motors are now capped at 1600W, their range now uses high efficiency 700W motors. Even the new Pure Power upright which looks identical to the previous model has gone from 2100W down to 700W. Why do you reckon that is? If Wattage is king, why haven't they gone for the maximum allowed? After all, the reduced cap in three years time is 900W, but they haven't even gone for that! Do you think that Hoover would deliberately alienate their customers by using a motor which was well below any proposed cap if it didn't do the same job?

The Henry HVR200 (which I have) was 1200W, but even although that's still well below the cap, the new equivalent model uses a high-efficiency 580W motor. Why would Numatic risk the reputation of the Henry range by needlessly fitting a lower Wattage motor if it didn't do the same job?

It ceratinly seems as though manufacturers have have found it fairly easy to meet, and even surpass, the Wattage requirements simply by using more modern, high efficiency motors.

Interesting, but it still doesn't confirm whether the new Hoovers will be as good. I would say the chances will be close to Zero. Based on EU Toilets being excuse the pun Crap. And the Bulbs that came out to replace our excellent British Light bulbs being horrid.

Also, should Brussels be doing this? Perhaps they haven't realised that there is 60 percent youth unemployment in Spain and Greece, and a disastrous economic performance in the Eurozone? Still as long as they can do something about Hoovers, that will justify their inefficient unelected beuracratic job.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Our masters in Brussels are looking at legislation now to force everyone to have 5 bins for 5 different types of recycling!!! I hope we vote to leave this disgusting organisation. I am for recycling, but nobody needs 5 bins.

Well its job creation isn't it, people have to be employed to make deliver and pick up the bins and sort out the rubbish.. investment, eu subsidies etc new tech developed to sort things on the convayer belts, university labs working out what to make out of the rubbish....huge industry..

We can now put glass bottles in our green bins...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    Well its job creation isn't it, people have to be employed to make deliver and pick up the bins and sort out the rubbish.. investment, eu subsidies etc new tech developed to sort things on the convayer belts, university labs working out what to make out of the rubbish....huge industry..

We can now put glass bottles in our green bins...

LOL! Are you serious?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Interesting! Do you have a link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting, but it still doesn't confirm whether the new Hoovers will be as good. I would say the chances will be close to Zero.

The manufacturers could use 1600W motors, but you think they've deliberately gone much lower (700 for Hoover and 580 for Numatic), knowing the products won't be as good?

Why would they do that? :confused:
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! Are you serious?

Meh..... a combination of seriousness and sarcasm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The manufacturers could use 1600W motors, but you think they've deliberately gone much lower (700 for Hoover and 580 for Numatic), knowing the products won't be as good?

Why would they do that? :confused:

Where the lightbulbs that substituted our excellent lightbulbs after Brussels outlawed them as good?
  • Options
    Forum Member

The regulation will only apply if it "facilitates or improves recovery" and if it is "technically, environmentally, and economically practicable".

My Council collects co-mingled recyclables and will continue to do so. Other Councils around the country are switching to fewer bins with co-mingled recyclable collections later this year* because they have efficient sorting systems at the recycling plants. As new recycling plants come on-line, there will be more Councils offering co-mingled recyclable collections.

Bear in mind that the regulations cover all EU member countries, and there are likely to be some which do not have the same systems of collection and recycling we have in the UK.

* http://www.resource.co/government/article/viridor-wins-dacorum-council-recycling-contract-3259

* http://www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-news/councils/aberdeen-trials-commingled-recycling-collections
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where the lightbulbs that substituted our excellent lightbulbs after Brussels outlawed them as good?
    No. They were better. Much more efficient, much longer lasting. And of course they will continue to improve as we transition to LED lighting. Outlawing technology that had barely changed in many decades helped to stimulate technological progress.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do lighbulbs use electric motors? ;-)

Just because there are technical limitations on one product (light bulbs) does not mean the same technical limitations apply to a completely different product (vacuum cleaners).

Why not look at each product on its own merits? After all, if we're to dimiss things simply on the basis of "previous form", I'd suggest we can dismiss any "EU scare stories" in newspapers on the basis of the sh*te they've fed us about straight cucumbers, the banning of the British banger, and trapeze artistes having to wear hard hats! ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    I can see the point in making smart phones that go for more than 12 hours with recharging but kettles are already pretty efficient, if you reduce the energy output on them it will just take longer to boil the water so they end up using the same amount of power either way.

They never thought of the obvious did they::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »

What would that be? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Well, no, actually they did. You should read the report, rather than what some useless news hack said about it. As coughthecat has already pointed out, with kettles the main concern is product durability. In terms of potential efficiency improvements, they considered the effectiveness of the automatic cutout when the water boils, along with savings by reducing the thermal mass of the heating element.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Get to the Crux..... and what everyone is dodging on here.... Shut Down DS ... That'll save with all the electronics connected to it, at least 10 Billion Kilowatts over the next 10 years and with all the Green Benefit. Mind you if all the Hot Air on here could be tapped into, it would definitely self run if not show a surplus to the National Grid. :)
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What appliance I choose to clean my house with, dry my hair with, boil water for a hot drink with, or cut my front lawn with is none of the EU's business! Why do we have to wait till 2017 to have an in/out referendum if Cameron wins the election next year? We should tell 'em to stop interfering and leave NOW!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like someone else already mentioned, if we're serious about cutting emissions then flights really must become more expensive. How can you take my 1600w motor out of my vacuum cleaner but allow me to fly to Barcelona for £29.99?

In protest i've just opened bioshock and minimised it for no good reason other than for my PC to burn as much electricity as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In protest i've just opened bioshock and minimised it for no good reason other than for my PC to burn as much electricity as possible.
    This is what we call "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I see the sense in the smartphone and also the hoover because they are too bloody noisy! my henry does everything fine on high suction but doesnt make a massive roar sound like a dyson.

As for the rest.... just silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    As for the rest.... just silly.
    What is silly, and why? You object to your kettle lasting longer, for example?
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    What appliance I choose to clean my house with, dry my hair with, boil water for a hot drink with, or cut my front lawn with is none of the EU's business! Why do we have to wait till 2017 to have an in/out referendum if Cameron wins the election next year? We should tell 'em to stop interfering and leave NOW!

All of the electrical items in your house are already subject to EU regulations, they have been for decades. Before that they were subject to British standard regulations.

Would you prefer a situation like you find in china where your kids toys are made of asbestos and lead paint and your electrical items have a 50/50 chance of working or killing you?

Even if we left the EU almost everything electrical that you buy would still be designed to meet EU regulations as companies wouldn't bother making a special version just for the UK market when the European market is far bigger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    Even if we left the EU almost everything electrical that you buy would still be designed to meet EU regulations as companies wouldn't bother making a special version just for the UK market when the European market is far bigger.
    An excellent point. The dodgy fake market would also be largely unaffected, so enthusiasts for shoddy goods will still be able to get them, either way.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In theory you're right. In practice has it happened with vacumn cleaners. I think not.

Well yes, it has.

Dysons, for example, dont go above 1400w motors for their products and yet out perform many higher wattage brands with their suction.