Should Dianne Abbott Resign?

The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
Forum Member
Diane Abbott has been accused of racism after posting on twitter that white people love playing "divide and rule".

In a controversial message to a freelance journalist on the social networking site Twitter, Abbott wrote: "White people love playing 'divide and rule' we should not play their game."

She referred to the tactics being as old as colonialism.

I can't paste the story so you'll have to google it but it is being discussed on radio five live now. If you Google Abbott Divide and Rule you'll find loads of references to it.

I am not sure about resigning but she should certainly apologise. If any white MP categorised all black people in a negative light on twitter they'd be gone, she's took to ground for the moment has been invited to R5L but has not taken them up on the offer.

Comments

• BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Yes. I'll repost my response on the other thread in politics: She's a fat racist hypocrite. Always has been, always will be. I fully expect her to lose her job within the next 24 hours.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps people in power would have been more apt, instead of white people in general.
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely. Why, what has she done now?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A prime example of racism in reverse!
    Her concepts are just as backwards and unhelpful as the very things she's railing against.

Her 'we' and 'their' remarks say it all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps people in power would have been more apt, instead of white people in general.

Yes and thrice yes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate this woman. She thinks she speaks for all black people but she doesn't speak for me the cow! Always wheeled out when a black person is involved in something and always trying to find racism in something.

Not all black people think white people are out to get them or repress them and not all black people are innocent either. Racism goes both ways.

She's a ****.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the woman who said that people in her constituency should send their children to the local (deprived) state schools, whilst privately educating her own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how she blags her way through this one.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should be fired before she has the chance to resign.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    Didn't realise it was in politics but given the overall news this week with footballers getting bans for racism, with the joyous news that Stephen Lawrences killers are finally brought to justice that she choses last night to make what at best is a naieve comment but she doesn't strike me as a niaeve lady at all.

It's her comment that white people like to divide and rule.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think her being an Mp is considerably questionable anyway. She often makes sweeping generalisations about people and is normally extremely uninformed about the facts.

She is a racist and her comments create a divide.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsOrin wrote: »
    I hate this woman. She thinks she speaks for all black people but she doesn't speak for me the cow! Always wheeled out when a black person is involved in something and always trying to find racism in something.

Not all black people think white people are out to get them or repress them and not all black people are innocent either. Racism goes both ways.

She's a ****.

Well said to yourself.
    Forum Member
    There were a number of calls saying she had previously said West Indians were better mothers a google hit has born those out too.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is her latest tweet

http://twitter.com/#!/hackneyabbott

Tweet taken out of context. Refers to nature of 19th century European colonialism. Bit much to get into 140 characters.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    It was a daft thing to say, but there is no way she'll lose her job over it.
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    This is her latest tweet

Tweet taken out of context. Refers to nature of 19th century European colonialism. Bit much to get into 140 characters.

That is her take on it most calling in from every race were it total disagreement with her. A few were supportive.
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    This is her latest tweet

Her offending tweet was clearly written in the present tense. Fail excuse.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No quote from the daily mail?

I think dianne abbot should have resigned years ago. She's a disgrace to her race, her party and her position. If it were possible, she'd drag the words 'MP' even further down into the gutter than they are. Just my opinion, of course.

Strangely enough, though, I don't think this latest indiscretion is particularly important. As usual, publicity has taken what would have been seen by a handful of people, supporters of hers anyway, and forgotten about by tomorrow, and distributed it to a much wider audience.
    Forum Member
    The nationals are reporting it in context, what is being reported is that she has finished the statement with a tactic as old as colonialism, not that it was referring to 19th century whites people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    This is her latest tweet

Don't try to get it into 140 characters then.

Not that I believe her.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    Her offending tweet was clearly written in the present tense. Fail excuse.

I agree. Especially as it was part of a conversation that went like this
    Bim Adewunmi Clarifying my 'black community' tweet: I hate the generally lazy thinking behind the use of the term. Same for 'black community leaders'.

Diane Abbott MP @bimadew I understand the cultural point you are making. But you are playing into a "divide and rule" agenda.

Bim Adewunmi @HackneyAbbott Maybe. I find it frustrating that half the time, these leaders are out of touch with black people they purport to represent.

Diane Abbott MP @bimadew White people love playing "divide & rule" We should not play their game #tacticasoldascolonialism
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Never mind racist, it's Conspiracy Theorist, her equivalent of the Elder Protocols of Zion.
    I want to see what thegenuinelizardman tweets about Diane Abbott
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    Yes. I'll repost my response on the other thread in politics: She's a fat racist hypocrite. Always has been, always will be. I fully expect her to lose her job within the next 24 hours.

not that her weight is relevant

shes a bit stupid tweeting something like that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I agree. Especially as it was part of a conversation that went like this

The problem right there. The current approach to the problems aren't working, but Diane Abbot would rather sweep it under the carpet and carry on pretending everything is absolutely fine, because admitting otherwise would be akin to letting the whites win. It's all a game to her and the community leaders. They're stuck in the 1970s.