Comments

• 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved them all this series.:D Didn't like the Christmas ones though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end of this episode has to be one the best endings.
    I thought it would a nice soft ending "I love seeing the young ones going out, like I did. Good night"

But instead the Dial A Dick came out from the cupboard and they went upstairs :D it was such a good twist!

What Simpsons gag are we on about here?
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Seanie(: wrote: »
    What Simpsons gag are we on about here?

Where's the "any" key?
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    There was some old feckin jokes in that episode.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the fellatio / opera joke appeared in an early episode of MBB.....it was almost as if Brendan was taking the mickey out of his own show.

Edit : I think in fact it came from an early Youtube clip of the stage show which attracted over 1m views.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that, too. At least two or three old gags in there this week, and a few jokes that are definitely not his own, such as the first one about selling the encyclopedias. That's older than grandad. :D I'm sure there was a nicked joke in one of the pub scenes, as well.

The re-hashed jokes might be from DVDs I've seen of the original series or the live show, so they might be new to the television audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that, too. At least two or three old gags in there this week, and a few jokes that are definitely not his own, such as the first one about selling the encyclopedias. That's older than grandad. :D I'm sure there was a nicked joke in one of the pub scenes, as well.

Though in Brendan's defence, he has never claimed to be a brilliant and original comedy scriptwriter. He freely admits to using ancient jokes and borrowing some of the visual stunts from TV shows of the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Though in Brendan's defence, he has never claimed to be a brilliant and original comedy scriptwriter. He freely admits to using ancient jokes and borrowing some of the visual stunts from TV shows of the past.
    Yeah, I agree. I don't really mind it, to be honest, but I'm so used to MBB making me laugh with jokes and scenarios I haven't seen before, so when I hear some jokes I have known my whole life I feel a little disappointed. It must be so hard to come up with original material that is absolutely hysterical. I completely respect that he does his best and he has brought hours of joy into my life with his Mrs Brown creation. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree. I don't really mind it, to be honest, but I'm so used to MBB making me laugh with jokes and scenarios I haven't seen before, so when I hear some jokes I have known my whole life I feel a little disappointed. It must be so hard to come up with original material that is absolutely hysterical. I completely respect that he does his best and he has brought hours of joy into my life with his Mrs Brown creation. :)

I actually thought the fellatio joke came from an early episode of MBB, but then I remembered it was in a very popular Youtube clip from the stage show from about two or three years ago (so it probably would have been new to most of tonight's audience).

The good thing is that Brendan is not even claiming this is an original or clever sitcom. It's unashamedly old style and old fashioned, full of *obvious* one liners and visual slapstick humour :)
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member

The "What's the useless piece of skin on the end of a penis called? A man" joke is ancient as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought the fellatio joke came from an early episode of MBB, but then I remembered it was in a very popular Youtube clip from the stage show from about two or three years ago (so it probably would have been new to most of tonight's audience).

The good thing is that Brendan is not even claiming this is an original or clever sitcom. It's unashamedly old style and old fashioned, full of *obvious* one liners and visual slapstick humour :)

Yes, that's one of the reasons I love it. I like it when he throws in unscripted jokes and everyone cracks up, too. :D

It has a panto-like feel to it, which is something I like. There aren't many shows on television that have me and my family laughing out loud for thirty minutes, but MBB manages it every week. Actually, there aren't any other shows on television that do that, so it's probably the reason we look forward to it each week.
    The "What's the useless piece of skin on the end of a penis called? A man" joke is ancient as well.

That's the one I was thinking of in the pub scene, thanks. I knew there was one in there I had heard before. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's one of the reasons I love it. I like it when he throws in unscripted jokes and everyone cracks up, too. :D

It has a panto-like feel to it, which is something I like. There aren't many shows on television that have me and my family laughing out loud for thirty minutes, but MBB manages it every week. Actually, there aren't any other shows on television that do that, so it's probably the reason we look forward to it each week.

Brendan's well known for thrown in a few unscripted ad libs which leave the cast cracking up. In fact, I think he used one tonight in the living room which largely went unnoticed but which made Cathy and Betty laugh out loud :)
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,336
    Forum Member
    I thought Buster was billiant tonight. Loved the bit when he followed Cathy out the door on their 'date'. He looked like the cat who had got the cream
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan's well known for thrown in a few unscripted ad libs which leave the cast cracking up. In fact, I think he used one tonight in the living room which largely went unnoticed but which made Cathy and Betty laugh out loud :)
    I think the one about Dermot having his shaft clipped was thrown in. Have you ever been to a live taping? Is it all filmed "as live", do you know?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic episode this week. Although isn't Buster Cathy's real life son? Bit creepy!
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Fantastic episode this week. Although isn't Buster Cathy's real life son? Bit creepy!

No, stepson I think.

Still creepy, but probably not as creepy as seeing his real life wife being married in the series to someone who looks old enough to be his dad. Or his real dad dressing up as a woman come to think of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the one about Dermot having his shaft clipped was thrown in. Have you ever been to a live taping? Is it all filmed "as live", do you know?

I've never been to the tapings in Glasgow, but the whole thing is filmed in sequence in front of the live audience. Clearly there are breaks between each scene and some scenes have to be shot again if someone makes a mistake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

Brendan's son in fact! From his first marriage, meaning Buster would be Cathy's stepson through marriage.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah yes, but as his fellow countryman used to say,

"It's the way he tells them!!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    No, stepson I think.

Still creepy, but probably not as creepy as seeing his real life wife being married in the series to someone who looks old enough to be his dad. Or his real dad dressing up as a woman come to think of it.

I get the impression Mark is only supposed to be 40 or something, but he must be around 50 in real life.

I think Buster is probably older than he looks....he must be 30 at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brendan was obviously inspired by those 1970s comedies as he almost exactly the same age as me and watched the same TV shows. There was one in 1974 called 'The Wackers' which was packed with double entendres and set in Liverpool, and 'On the Buses' and 'Up Pompeii' must have been staples of his viewing back then as well. I saw them all.
    This series is better than the second series as there hasn't been an episode in it like the group therapy one from last year, which was decidedly lacklustre.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrific episode last night - me and our lass laughed from start to finish. Great return to form after a quieter couple of episodes. Then again, not everyone can be a winner.

My favorite comedy series - definitely up there with Still Game, Hebburn and Father Ted. :)
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I got the live show 'Good Mourning Mrs Brown' on DVD for Christmas and I was so excited that I was saving it for a time when I could really relax and get into it - put it on this afternoon only to find it's just the same as the series, same jokes, same scenes etc, I was absolutely gutted.

Looked online and every single review was the same, most said they walked out at the interval because they'd seen it all before and knew the gags before they were said. Apparently they weren't told it wasn't new material and some were rather peeved at forking out for the tickets when they'd already got the DVD.

I'm quite disappointed if I'm honest, I didn't think it was going to be pretty much exactly the same, with same script and everything.

I think it probably should be made out more clearly. The TV show is essentially scenes from the stage show/dvd films.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very dirty episode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan was obviously inspired by those 1970s comedies as he almost exactly the same age as me and watched the same TV shows. There was one in 1974 called 'The Wackers' which was packed with double entendres and set in Liverpool, and 'On the Buses' and 'Up Pompeii' must have been staples of his viewing back then as well. I saw them all.
    This series is better than the second series as there hasn't been an episode in it like the group therapy one from last year, which was decidedly lacklustre.

Brendan said in a recent interview he was heavily influenced by Les Dawson (the 'Cissy and Ada' characters he and Roy Barraclough used to play) and by Dick Emery's sketches.

It's very similar to that type of humour, with a few 'F' words thrown in for good measure :)