Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Comments

• HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    What a bucket of complete ~~~~ this is ....... sorry.

I,m not a prude but did we have to have

F### this,

F### That or

F### the other....... ON CHRISTMAS EVE ?

I'm not a theologian but jeez this crap comes from one of the largest Chatholic country's in Europe..."hey guys its YOUR day"

I hasten to add and can actually swear with the best of us but what on earth was the point of having this dirge on, then going all sanctimonious and having Midnight Mass...!

Bizarre !

Its just isnt funny , i'm lost as to what the audience were howling at ..

A far cry from real humour AKA Blackadder.............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Also, a question about a possible plothole. In S1, Dino (Rory's boyfriend is a chef, then in S2 he's a hairdresser, this is never explained, was this done just to fit into the stories, anyone reckon?

I'm guessing he just got a new job. Maybe to be with Rory or something.
    Headancer wrote: »

F### this,

F### That or

I'm not a theologian but jeez this crap comes from one of the largest Chatholic country's in Europe..."hey guys its YOUR day"

I hasten to add and can actually swear with the best of us but what on earth was the point of having this dirge on, then going all sanctimonious and having Midnight Mass...!

Bizarre !

That's nice.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

F### this,

F### That or

Bizarre !

If you don't like it don't watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those that missed it:

Swear, swear, jarring bit of sentimentality, swear swear, gurning through the 4th wall, swear, swear, hilarious "ad lib"

And I was a fan but last night was like someone programmed a computer to watch Mrs Brown & then write a script

The earlier Outnumbered showed how to keep it fresh
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,483
    Forum Member
    I watched 10 mins of this while I waited for a comedy show to come on :p And what a pile of pure crap. It's just not funny at all.

I even turned the sound down :o
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had plenty of laughs from previous episodes but was falling asleep during this one. Maybe it's just me.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I've had plenty of laughs from previous episodes but was falling asleep during this one. Maybe it's just me.

Yip, I wholeheartedly agree. Thought that the first 2 series were some of the best comedy I'd seen in years but last nights offering just left me cold. Not even sure if I'll watch the second part...
  • carolineglasgowcarolineglasgow Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, more of the same old tat.

What people see in this peurile rubbish is a mystery.

I agree. I watched it for the first time last night as most of my family rave about it, but I must say I wasn't impressed. I accept that it has high ratings and that a lot of people really enjoy it, but it's not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

F### this,

F### That or

Bizarre !

Totally agree. I'm not against swearing when it's used for comedic effect, but simply saying f*** this and f*** that is completely unfunny. Profanity can be hilarious depending on the context, but the word "f***" is never funny simply used on its own. As the poster suggests, there's just no comparison with the likes of Blackadder and other truly golden comedies.

And for those who say "don't watch" we need to watch in order to form an opinion and, if we don't like it, then it's perfectly acceptable to say so.
  • DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I watched 10 mins of this while I waited for a comedy show to come on :p And what a pile of pure crap. It's just not funny at all.

I even turned the sound down :o

Turned the sound down? Just turn the channel over, digital age now, plenty of other things to turn over to if your not enjoying it lol. Personally I really enjoyed the Mrs Browns Boys, it was on way after the watershed so the whole swearing problem I can't see a problem with.

Everyones entitled to their own opinions though so can't bash people on that front.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Yip, I wholeheartedly agree. Thought that the first 2 series were some of the best comedy I'd seen in years but last nights offering just left me cold. Not even sure if I'll watch the second part...

I don't think this was a particularly strong episode, but neither was the Christmas special last year. I have high hopes for Series 3 proper though as I have already seen the trailer for episode 1 on RTE and it looks a good one.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it but don't know why ".feckin" or similar not used as funnier than swearing
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

F### this,

F### That or

Bizarre !

Thats what we F##king Irish say the whole f##king time, and if people dont f##king like it, they can go f##k off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats what we F##king Irish say the whole f##king time, and if people dont f##king like it, they can go f##k off.

I f***in beg to f***in differ. Irish people do not speak like that any more than the Scots say "och, aye the noo". wtf do you find saying f*** funny?
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I f***in beg to f***in differ. Irish people do not speak like that any more than the Scots say "och, aye the noo". wtf do you find saying f*** funny?

I am not saying it is funny, but it is what happens. At least it does in and around the area that i come from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the song was at the end of Mrs Browns Boys yesterday? I really liked it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the song was at the end of Mrs Browns Boys yesterday? I really liked it

Didn't recognise it but it sounded like an Irish language Christmas carol.....I'm sure I heard the words 'Lá Nollaig' in it ("Christmas Day" in Irish).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the second Christmas special on RTE1....a lot funnier than the first one IMO :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re. Irish use of the f*** word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFI7RBbzNtQ

:D

(btw, author Joseph O'Connor is Sinead O'C's brother!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The interesting thing is that only Mrs Brown uses the "F" word on the show....you never hear it spoken by any other character. I think the reasoning behind this is that spoken by one of the younger characters like Buster or Maria, it would indeed sound coarse and vulgar, but the basic comic premise of the show is to have the unlikeliest of characters, an elderly grandmother and matriarch swearing like a trooper.
    Forum Member
    I agree when used " in context" The F word is fine...but hang on I have kids and that old bollocks about 9pm doesn't wash on Christmas Eve ...please come on.

This however dominated the script and seemed to be every line, as though struggling for comic effect.

I think suggesting The Irish use it all the time is a bit OTT, as it tends to intimate that as a race they are unable to string togther a coherent sentence so have no option but to throw in an expletive.

I know plenty Irish people whose swearing is no worse than the Brits.

Maybe its just society and an ultra low IQ which sinks lower every 10 years or so.

Maybe that is all the current generation can digest and compute!

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder (2,3,4) even Billy Connoly were ultra sharp.

Blackadder wasn't exactly without sin but could get away with it because it was brilliantly written.

MBB is of those programmes which somehow taps into a credibilty gap, somebody credible says its fresh, funny and then herd like masses have to appease each other on social media etc by suggesting same.....

Take the Fword out and rerun the script, see what I mean crap !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree when used " in context" The F word is fine...but hang on I have kids and that old bollocks about 9pm doesn't wash on Christmas Eve ...please come on.

This however dominated the script and seemed to be every line, as though struggling for comic effect.

I think suggesting The Irish use it all the time is a bit OTT, as it tends to intimate that as a race they are unable to string togther a coherent sentence so have no option but to throw in an expletive.

I know plenty Irish people whose swearing is no worse than the Brits.

Maybe its just society and an ultra low IQ which sinks lower every 10 years or so.

Maybe that is all the current generation can digest and compute!

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder (2,3,4) even Billy Connoly were ultra sharp.

Blackadder wasn't exactly without sin but could get away with it because it was brilliantly written.

MBB is of those programmes which somehow taps into a credibilty gap, somebody credible says its fresh, funny and then herd like masses have to appease each other on social media etc by suggesting same.....

Take the Fword out and rerun the script, see what I mean crap !

But as I pointed out above, only Mrs Brown is allowed use the "F" word, which is quite deliberate. If Buster, Maria, Dermot, Rory, Winnie et al were using it, it would indeed be a very coarse and vulgar sitcom. So to say that the show is an example of the Irish constantly using foul language would be quite incorrect.

The reason Agnes is allowed use it is part of the show's raison d'etre....she's a foul mouthed and extremely blunt matriarch who often shocks those she comes into contact with.
  • Barbsm@wanadoo.Barbsm@wanadoo. Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it going to be shown again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Is it going to be shown again?

Both the Christmas Eve and Boxing Day episodes of Mrs Browns Boys are being shown again on Saturday 29th December on BBC One from 9.30pm.
    Forum Member
    lets hope not..