Masterchef....turn-on, or turn off...?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
Forum Member
I'm a devoted fan of the BBC2 programme, 'Masterchef'...
and I love cooking very much....
I've always thought that I'd like to take my passion for cooking further; but, when I watch a particular part of the programme, I think to myself "No Way!!!!"
I'm referring to the test that the contestants have to endure when they are asked to perform in a professional kitchen....
WoW!! I have to take my hat off to the contestants...
I don't think I could handle the occasional bad language from 'Chef', and the constant 90 MPH service required...
I think I'd rather just continue to cook at a sedate pace for my dearly beloved in my own kitchen...
What do others think???

Comments

• timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I find that part scary too, although I have worked in a kitchen before and really enjoyed it, but that was 30 years ago in my youth. I wouldn't want to do that now. Like you, cooking for me is a break from the pressures of life and enjoyed at a more sedate pace. :)

Love watching Masterchef BTW. John and Gregg's comments are really good sometimes. :D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marqkin wrote:
    What do others think???
    Dont forget the clue is in the title - Master and Chef.

The people on these programmes are just not only "passionate about food" (yawn - sorry i am a bit bored with passion) but arent they proffessionals too?

If im worng, then they must have had a bit more practise than just picking up ramsays latest cook book and knocking out Warm salad of butternut sqush with a wild mushroom tartlet of aubergine, servied in a terrine of spinach risotto.

Theres no reason why you couldnt be a masterchef. You could go to catering college, youd learn about how to cook, cut, prepare food, and probably a lot of interesting science behind it all as well. Even nightschool as a hobby. Dont let those "foodies" (urgh) put you off!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No- they are not professional chefs/cooks at all- that is the point of the show
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No- they are not professional chefs/cooks at all- that is the point of the show
    I stand corrected.
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I actually don't think I'd mind it. I'm sure after a while you'd get used to the pace and environment. Also, when things are moving fast at work and there's lots to do, the day seems to pass quicker I find.
  • Vic MackeyVic Mackey Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The money and working conditions are shocking. Unless you are good enough to one day own your own restaurant you will not do well out of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marqkin wrote:
    I'm a devoted fan of the BBC2 programme, 'Masterchef'...
    and I love cooking very much....
    I've always thought that I'd like to take my passion for cooking further; but, when I watch a particular part of the programme, I think to myself "No Way!!!!"
    I'm referring to the test that the contestants have to endure when they are asked to perform in a professional kitchen....
    WoW!! I have to take my hat off to the contestants...
    I don't think I could handle the occasional bad language from 'Chef', and the constant 90 MPH service required...
    I think I'd rather just continue to cook at a sedate pace for my dearly beloved in my own kitchen...
    What do others think???

The meanest thing about the professional kitchen segment is that it's clearly a whole lot of trauma all round, yet it appears to have little or no bearing on the final result.

Perhaps it's deliberately designed to discombobulate the final three as they then have to go on and do the Final Test
    :eek: on the same day.
  • babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masterchef Goes Large: guilty pleasure (merged)

See thisd thread, theres loads of info as to how this show works...