Options

Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not, Jeff's OK and he almost carries the show himself, Rachel needs to contribute a LOT more, she only really reacts to Jeff's questions and silly jokes.

I can't see how a new presenter will regain the lost viewers.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have every faith in Jeff, he seems to really enjoy it - something I wasn't convinced of, with Des squared! He's relaxed and easygoing, and gets the humour just right imo. Heck even my 85 year old MIL, who had no idea who he was, has taken to him. Took Rachel longer, but she's finally settled in and mostly gets the numbers now. Personally find it a very watchable 40 minutes.

I bet Rachel's pleased her dresses are having the desired effect. She started off in fairly mumsy dresses, but apparently wanted her own style. So had a bit of a splurge on new dresses for the show; might be wrong, but I think her pink number today was the first one she's worn twice!
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Rachel's pleased her dresses are having the desired effect.

If the desired effect is making viewers switch off, then yes, it's working a treat. ;)

Seriously though, I'm not sure the traditional Countdown audience (pensioners) would feel comfortable with some of Rachel's outfits, as pleasing to the eye to some posters as they are.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    So are the viewing figures for Countdown actually down on what they used to be? I think Countdown is brilliant now with Jeff and Rachel at the helm and they both appear to have made this show their own, especially Jeff who is doing a great job as host. Jeff is far better than Des Lynam and Des O'Connor :)

I know some of Rachel's outfits are a bit WOW!, but I'm sure older audiences can switch off from that and enjoy the game as it unfolds just as much as before.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I bet Rachel's pleased her dresses are having the desired effect. She started off in fairly mumsy dresses, but apparently wanted her own style. So had a bit of a splurge on new dresses for the show; might be wrong, but I think her pink number today was the first one she's worn twice!

It's a bit sad, but I can confirm that yes, that is the case.

Today's is a belter too. I'm going to lead the campaign to increase her rating when the FHM 100 comes round again.
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have any of you ever seen Richard Digance do a live gig? As I've noticed posters around my local town centre advertising his show at the theatre this month and am tempted to pop along :)

Richard Digance Tour Dates & Tickets on Ents24.com
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve AWOL wrote: »
    Have any of you ever seen Richard Digance do a live gig? As I've noticed posters around my local town centre advertising his show at the theatre this month and am tempted to pop along :)

Richard Digance Tour Dates & Tickets on Ents24.com

Yes, I saw him a couple of years back in Hayes Beck Theatre - he was very funny and extremely entertaining.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    I catch the very early morning repeats. She gives me wood at 5:30am!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today, the contestants manged to get 'SEXIER', which lead to a great shot of Rachel standing by the word on the board. That'd make a great screen shot.

The letters that 'sexier' came out of was a letter 'A' away from allowing the phrase 'SEXY ARSE' to be made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    If the desired effect is making viewers switch off, then yes, it's working a treat. ;)

Seriously though, I'm not sure the traditional Countdown audience (pensioners) would feel comfortable with some of Rachel's outfits, as pleasing to the eye to some posters as they are.

I am an oap and her outfits do a lot for me :p:p:eek:
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I catch the very early morning repeats. She gives me wood at 5:30am!

Re:the early morning repeats.

According to my Freeview EPG, there's no Countdown repeats next week,despite the fact it's still on at 3.25pm all week with no pre-emptions for racing. Instead it's some programe called Switched and repeats of St Elsewhere which will be shown in CD's slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.rachelriley.org/download/file.php?id=1450

The aformentioned word from Friday. It's now my PC's wallpaper.
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I must say that in my opinion Rachel has all the personality of a plank of wood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I must say that in my opinion Rachel has all the personality of a plank of wood.

Well, if she is a plank of wood, I loved to nail it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tim Vine in Dictionary Corner, Rachel in a tight blue dress.

Happy days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a relief to have Tim there this week. You could tell Jeff was pleased too and a good guest just changes the whole atmosphere. Current lad doing well, although frustrating when good players with a bit of personality and potential are sent home early.

Susie looked especially pretty today in her white frilly shirt and Rachel of course, in a dress so slinky it reminded me a bit of a hot water bottle cover! :p

As for Friday's Conundrum - "Luton hags" :eek: :D Now that was certainly a tricky one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear Methodyguy I like you a lot as you know but we are going to disagree on this one:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a relief to have Tim there this week. You could tell Jeff was pleased too and a good guest just changes the whole atmosphere. Current lad doing well, although frustrating when good players with a bit of personality and potential are sent home early.

Susie looked especially pretty today in her white frilly shirt and Rachel of course, in a dress so slinky it reminded me a bit of a hot water bottle cover! :p

As for Friday's Conundrum - "Luton hags" :eek: :D Now that was certainly a tricky one!

Yes I agree it always a better week when we have good guests and players and this week is one of them
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with Oddbod. I don't see a problem with Rachel on Countdown at all.

I don't understand the criticism that Rachel has received for having no personality or experience especially since Carol Vorderman had none to start with.

And let's face it, if the UK find it acceptable to have a stand-up comedian with no journalistic experience doing a news-oriented breakfast show on BBC Newcastle, and find it OK for someone like Sinitta to be a advisor on X Factor, then I don't know why Rachel is the one receiving criticism for taking a dream job with no experience herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good contest today (tues) with both players getting over a 100 points, I haven't seen that for a while.

Rachel's ensemble was disappointingly restrained and demure, this will just not do at all.

We need outfits a lot shorter and a lot tighter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good contest today (tues) with both players getting over a 100 points, I haven't seen that for a while.

Rachel's ensemble was disappointingly restrained and demure, this will just not do at all.

We need outfits a lot shorter and a lot tighter.

Yes, a rollercoaster of a match, with both contestants getting two sets of nine each. Shame to lose her, as she was really good. Presumably we may see her again, assuming they still give the highest loser a chance in the finals?

Surprised to see Kirk pop up in the audience; trust him to be the only one in the building to get the conundrum! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She was a tangerine dream today!
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Yes, a rollercoaster of a match, with both contestants getting two sets of nine each. Shame to lose her, as she was really good. Presumably we may see her again, assuming they still give the highest loser a chance in the finals?

Surprised to see Kirk pop up in the audience; trust him to be the only one in the building to get the conundrum! :p

It was good to see Kirk again.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it when Mavis Riley and Dennis Healey first took over and stopped watching for a while, but I am getting to like them now and have started watching again, especially Mavis' dresses, and her arse is even better than Carol's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim Vine is excellent too.

Pudenda(s) ( can it be pluralised ? ) was a 7/8 letter option in one of yesterday's selections but I think Suzi was too embarrassed to highlight it and describe its meaning.
This discussion has been closed.