Options

Sony Xperia T or IPhone 4s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do I get a Sony Xperia T or IPhone 4s? Please see my current pros and cons below.

Sony Xperia T

Pros:
I have used Sony's (or sony ericssons) for years and have always been happy with them.
Free on contract
Expandable Memory

Cons:
I might get an IPad later in the year and only an IPhone would link to it (I think).
Sony are middling when it comes to smartphones (although they have always served me more than adequately.
Poor battery life.

IPhone 4s

Pros:
Everyone I know who has one loves them.
Potential to link IPad.
Are a benchmark for other smartphones.

Cons:
I am wary about the brand.
No expandable memory.
£70 on contract.
Poor battery life.

What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I have never known anyone get an iphone and hate it. In my very humble opinion, they paved the way and every other phone now is just basically trying to emulate them.
    If you are thinking of getting an iPad then definitely get an iPhone for sync-age joy.
    On the other people some people hate apple - I literally have no idea why but I am sure there is a reason. You say you are wary of the brand but don't elaborate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never known anyone get an iphone and hate it. In my very humble opinion, they paved the way and every other phone now is just basically trying to emulate them.
    If you are thinking of getting an iPad then definitely get an iPhone for sync-age joy.
    On the other people some people hate apple - I literally have no idea why but I am sure there is a reason. You say you are wary of the brand but don't elaborate?

Well I am as wary about it as anyother brand I am unfamiliar with. I suppose more specifically I am wary of not continuing with Sony. I don't want to learn the hard way that the grass isnt always greener.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I loveeeee my Sony Experia.... had one in Aus and have one here too... fab phone.
    Much of a muchness tho in choosing and buying one.
    I'd buy an Experia or Samsung Galaxy over a iPhone anyday, everyone has an iPhone and they are too common :P

Kyls :)
  • Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    If it helps I am a Sony and Apple gal through and through. Both are highly irritating in the way they like to make you use all their own branded items with them. My current camera is the first Sony camera I have ever had which hasn't made me use memory sticks.
    However the joy of that is that syncing etc is really extraordinary and everything works seemlessly without a hitch.
    Apple really does this supremely well I think. The experience I have just had with my new iPhone which has just updated from my iCloud backup of my old phone, was frankly staggering to the easily pleased - such as me.
  • Options
    Hootenanny123Hootenanny123 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I have a Sony xpreia that is a couple of years old, and have got my hands on an I Phone 4s, must say they are crap, constant issues with the camera loading, GPS, battery life...

My sony is still going strong and has no issues.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I was considering getting a tablet for general browsing and apps since I use these a lot more than I used my iphone for messaging and calling and typical phone things. ( I hater how small the iphone is).

Instead I went for the samsung note 2 because it's somewhere in the middle between a phone and a tablet (in terms of size) and I wouldn't need to carry around 2 things.

I am so incredibly happy, it does everything and more that the iphone did and has an awesome camera (unlike the iphone). I couldn't recommend it more. The battery is amazing, the speed of it is awesome, it plays all my music and videos without the need for ANY conversion at all. The only downside is I can't play my lovefilm account on it, something to do with flash which isn't supported by Android but is downloadable and installable and works (just not on lovefilm).

My advice is that apple products really are the "windows" of the 2010's in that it's the bog standard software that doesn't allow for any personalisation or innovation. Android is definitely the way forward and I see all the major innovations happening on this platform, especially now with a release of Unbuntu.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I have never known anyone get an iphone and hate it.

I hated my iphone. I left the Nokia N95 for it which had just as good games (albeit fewer games) and a vastly superb camera. The only positive to the iphone was the shape and the touchscreen.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Of the 2 mentioned I would go for the Xperia although the OP will find it very different to the old Sony Ericssons as the Xperia runs on android

If the OP does prefer Android in the end they should also look at top end phones from HTC and Samsung that also run Android or for a pure Android device the Nexus 4

Biggest advantages that Android have in my opinion are the choice of phones - everything from budget to high end and the fact that you can customise them to suit you - I don't believe that the iphone is so flexible

If the OP is thinking about syncing than get an Android tablet such as the Nexus 7 to go with it
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    Xperia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice guys. All useful but I think the xperia is winning
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack the thread, and I'm definitely an iPhone supporter, but when my phone contract comes up for renewal later this year, should I go for the 4S or the 5? I've currently got an iPhone 4, which is fine for what I need, the only thing I'd like to have is Siri. However, it will probably be another 2-year contract, and I don't want to get left behind with the technology. The price of the contract is also a factor, as if the 4S contract is significantly cheaper, I'd be tempted to go for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, and I'm definitely an iPhone supporter, but when my phone contract comes up for renewal later this year, should I go for the 4S or the 5? I've currently got an iPhone 4, which is fine for what I need, the only thing I'd like to have is Siri. However, it will probably be another 2-year contract, and I don't want to get left behind with the technology. The price of the contract is also a factor, as if the 4S contract is significantly cheaper, I'd be tempted to go for it.

All Siri does is just looks online for an answer. I can do the same with my voice thingy on my Xperia, e.g. I can say - What time is it in Florida? and it'll bring up the search listings. Siri isn't as clever as what people make out and half the time it doesn't understand.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    All Siri does is just looks online for an answer. I can do the same with my voice thingy on my Xperia, e.g. I can say - What time is it in Florida? and it'll bring up the search listings. Siri isn't as clever as what people make out and half the time it doesn't understand.

Yeah, I know Siri's a bit of a gimmick. The reason for my sticking with an iPhone is that I like the Apple app store and I use iCloud (although I know there are other systems). I'm sure I'll change sometime, just not this time! :D
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mate had an Xperia, it's really not very good. He had a play with my iPhone and decided to flog his Xperia and get an iPhone instead. I must say, I wasn't keen on it either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My mate had an Xperia, it's really not very good. He had a play with my iPhone and decided to flog his Xperia and get an iPhone instead. I must say, I wasn't keen on it either.

guess it depends on the person - I have an xperia and my boyfriend has an iphone - I wouldn't take his iphone if he paid me. much prefer my xperia
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    guess it depends on the person - I have an xperia and my boyfriend has an iphone - I wouldn't take his iphone if he paid me. much prefer my xperia

Yea, each to their own. My mrs had an iPhone, then went to htc. That lasted for a week before she went back to the iPhone. It's what you prefer and get used to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I ask, why are you getting an iPad later on? As in do you know Sony do their own equivilent, its very good, expandable memory again, splash proof screen, its more gaming orientated though (so don't know whether that's a pro for you or not...)

I think Xperia's are great, they are very good value for money for what they offer as they don't have the market share of Apple or Samsung. They are loyal to their customers too as in they support their phones for roughly 18months so you'll probably get the next Android or you could root, Sony are accomodating to that. Plus if you have other Sony products they all communicate to each other like Apple, but Sony has Bravia and Vaio so if you already have one of them, it makes sense to get Sony so they can communicate.

I think the spec's on the Xperia T is slightly better than the 4s too.
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nokia lumia 800
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    The Sony tablet is good, someone I know bought one after trying an Ipad as well