Lost broadband this morning help please

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I started using a new laptop yesterday and all was fine up to this morning and now i cant get into the internet .the bar at the top of the screen reads;waiting for edit.europe.yahoo.com
Iam writing this thread on my old pc and that is fine with the internet using the same bt router anyone help please Hope i have this on the correct thread should it have been on the computer section?

Comments

• jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,622
    Forum Member
    HDMI wrote: »
    I started using a new laptop yesterday and all was fine up to this morning and now i cant get into the internet .the bar at the top of the screen reads;waiting for edit.europe.yahoo.com
    Iam writing this thread on my old pc and that is fine with the internet using the same bt router anyone help please Hope i have this on the correct thread should it have been on the computer section?

I'd want to check that the laptop had a good wireless connection first. Is there any warning icon on the system tray at the bottom of the screen?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a switch or function key to turn the WiFi on and off? There is likely to be something of that sort so worth checking it is not in the OFF position.

Make and model of laptop would help us be more specific.

Another thing to try is to plug the laptop into the router via a cable and see if that works. That will help determine if the problem is the WiFi or something with Windows or the browser you are using.
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THe bt icon signal is showing full strength
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THe bt icon signal is showing full strength
    What BT icon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean the 5 bars that show the signal strength
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming by this you mean in the list of available network connections?

OK so what happens if you click on the entry? Do you get a CONNECT button appear? And if so what happens when you click on it?

Also are you certain it is your router you are seeing? It could be a neighbour's BT connection you are seeing ( I can see at least four BT Hub networks where I am for example!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all works fine on my old vaio its on the new hp thats the problem I click on internet explorer and i get the info as shown on my first thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all works fine on my old vaio its on the new hp thats the problem I click on internet explorer and i get the info as shown on my first thread
    But what about the questions I asked above?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I don't understand your question I start the pc and then click on internet explorer and all I get is a white screen with waiting for edit Europe.com in the bar at the top of the screen and it just stays like that until I shut down
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    Where are you seeing this?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    From post #3 ...
    Another thing to try is to plug the laptop into the router via a cable and see if that works. That will help determine if the problem is the WiFi or something with Windows or the browser you are using.
    That is what I would try, an ethernet cable from the laptop to the router .... if that works it is a wireless problem.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,622
    Forum Member
    Sorry I don't understand your question I start the pc and then click on internet explorer and all I get is a white screen with waiting for edit Europe.com in the bar at the top of the screen and it just stays like that until I shut down

Click on the 5 bars that show the signal strength and tell us what information pops up. Does it say you are actually connected?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was assuming that you were seeing the signal bars by clicking on the network icon down on the task bar near the time display. That pops up the list of available network connections one of which should be your router.

It should also say Connected next to the signal bars if indeed the laptop is connected. If not then clicking on the entry reveals a Connect button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does say connected,however I have now found the internet pages,I went into internet explorer tools and noticed that the hp network helper was set to disable I clicked to set it to enable and now I get all the internet pages with slightly different look to them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does say connected,however I have now found the internet pages,I went into internet explorer tools and noticed that the hp network helper was set to disable I clicked to set it to enable and now I get all the internet pages with slightly different look to them
    I would be tempted to uninstall the HP stuff. It isn't needed and as you have discovered it can make life difficult.

I've got an HP laptop and about the only bit of HP software still running on it from all the junk that was pre-installed is the system tool that finds updated drivers. I got rid of 99% of the rest as it was just unnecessary junk clogging up the system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds interesting chris where will I find all that hp stuff will it be in control panel and how will I know iam not removing something important as you will no by now I am not one of the brightest with computers
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds interesting chris where will I find all that hp stuff will it be in control panel and how will I know iam not removing something important as you will no by now I am not one of the brightest with computers

This app will help you get rid of the junk.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I recommend going on a course or reading a book. Bloatware on a computer is a nuisance and drains resources and takes up space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any add ons to IE will be found in IE, can't remember where as I haven't used IE for ages. But you can uninstall any browser add ons from there.

A lot of the other HP stuff is in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. You can pretty much get rid of most of it. I'm not in front of my machine at the moment so am working from memory but if you list anything in Add/Remove programs that has HP in the title I'll see if I can remember what it does.

But there was a lot of add on stuff like games and odd utilities that you can probably live without. As I said about the only bit I kept is the HP help and control centre (I think it's called) that helps find updated drivers for the beast. That is about the only useful bit worth having.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Chris,first what is IE
    the HP in contro; panel are
    3d drive guard
    cool sence
    connect music
    documentation
    games
    quicklaunch
    registration service
    software framework
    utility centre
    and finally wireless button driver
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet Explorer

Of the HP programs, these are prime candidates for the chop

Cool Sense
    Connect Music
    Games
    Quicklaunch

3d Drive Guard Not sure what that one is.

The rest I wouldn't get rid of just yet. Mind you if your HP is anything like mine there is a D: or E: drive on it that contains all the installers to put this stuff back on again if you find you do need it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's fine chris thanks for all the advice on this Idid notice on one of the pages on this HP was a point to reset the PC to factory setting which said that it would take it back to as you bought it?
  • ChrisbuChrisbu Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    3D guard drive uses a sensor in the laptop to intitiate the heads to be parked in the hard driveif laptop has sudden movement to protest the surface of the platters in the hard drive
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    If it was working yesterday then try a system restore back to yesterday.

Had a similar problem to you after a recent windows update.