Options

Today is Mother's Day

davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a quick reminder maybe for those who have mums who live elsewhere in the world that today is Mother's Day in many places such as US, Canada, across the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, many African countries etc.

We forgot. :blush::blush:, Too late to send a card through the post. :blush::blush:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend in Venezuela and he told me its mothers day there too
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought you were trying to scare me, you b******* ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Phew. Luckily mine is dead so she won't have noticed.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this thanks to the American woman with the same name as me who signs me up to things using my email address.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick reminder maybe for those who have mums who live elsewhere in the world that today is Mother's Day in many places such as US, Canada, across the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, many African countries etc.

We forgot. :blush::blush:, Too late to send a card through the post. :blush::blush:

Don't do that!!!! You evil person :o:D
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Jesus, you gave me a scare.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Jesus, you gave me a scare.

Me too >:(
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is time the UK aligned with the rest of the world, rather than continue with the appropriation of the similar sounding but otherwise unconnected Mothering Sunday, At least it will stop the same arguments every year which admittedly I have foolishly taken part in on more than one occasion.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it is time the UK aligned with the rest of the world, rather than continue with the appropriation of the similar sounding but otherwise unconnected Mothering Sunday, At least it will stop the same arguments every year which admittedly I have foolishly taken part in on more than one occasion.
    Not really much point is there? Everyone in the UK already knows which day is Mother's Day in the UK.

Changing it would create confusion, not reduce it.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? Those countries celebrating today followed us in the tradition., Not that there's anything wrong with different dates or names. It's more commonly referred to as Mothers Day here now.
    Do we all have to be one homogenised mass?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Why? Those countries celebrating today followed us in the tradition., Not that there's anything wrong with different dates or names. It's more commonly referred to as Mothers Day here now.
    Do we all have to be one homogenised mass?

Other countries did not follow the UK, Mothers Day started in America in the early 20th Century and spread around the world most countries adopted the American 2nd Sunday in May. When Britain imported Mothers Day in the 50s rather than use which had become the international standard we appropriated the Similar sounding but unconnected extinct religious observance called Mothering Sunday. Every year we have the same petty Religious V Secular squabbles by addopting the international standard those squabbles are avoided.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not only Mother's Day which has different dates.

I went to Crete one year for Easter only to find that 'their' Easter was two weeks later than 'ours'. :o
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other countries did not follow the UK, Mothers Day started in America in the early 20th Century and spread around the world most countries adopted the American 2nd Sunday in May. When Britain imported Mothers Day in the 50s rather than use which had become the international standard we appropriated the Similar sounding but unconnected extinct religious observance called Mothering Sunday. Every year we have the same petty Religious V Secular squabbles by addopting the international standard those squabbles are avoided.

Was just going to post something similar. This is a nice short summary of the different days. http://mashable.com/2015/03/13/mothers-day-mothering-sunday/

edit- not that I care when different countries celebrate their holidays.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well that proves you're never too old to learn! Thank you. Do squabbles matter? I still don't see any need to align ourselves with other countries for this or any other celebration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Well that proves you're never too old to learn! Thank you. Do squabbles matter? I still don't see any need to align ourselves with other countries for this or any other celebration.

You are right of course, I was over analysing the situation the annual sqaubles are restricted to forums such as this and are hardly representitive of the out side world and seing as Mothering Sunday was near extinct 60+ years ago the annual forum sqaubles are simply petty one up manship. And as you say the world would be boring if we all did things on the same day.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Sunday is Mothering Sunday for me. I love my Mum.
  • Options
    Football_HeadFootball_Head Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I only know because Victoria Beckham had written some letter to a magazine or something about how she loved being a mum and loved her kids for being hard working and respectful who take nothing for granted. Or something like that.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I know this thanks to the American woman with the same name as me who signs me up to things using my email address.

Is your name Monica Geller?
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mothering Sunday has been celebrated in Britain since the 16th century.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every Sunday is Mothering Sunday for me. I love my Mum.

Same here. :)