Options

Dora Bella?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been watching a repeat of VOTD. I was struck by the name of Bracewells crush, Dora Bella. Its not a very usual name and was mention 3 or 4 times after. I'm probably reading too much into it but I felt as though they really wanted us to hear that name.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was just an important plot device thing. :)
  • Options
    swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    The Dorabella Cipher...

I really hope I can find something in my mind to link it to that somehow as I like it :D
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    In 1977, the BBC produced an excellent horror series called "Supernatural". One of the episodes was called "Dorabella", and it was about a vampire.
    Read into that what you will..........
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0713626/
    :)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's Dorabella in Mozart's Cosi fan tutte :p
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned in another thread that Dorabella means beautiful gift.

The name Dora is linked to Pandora, according to this site.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    There's Dorabella in Mozart's Cosi fan tutte :p

Aww, I was going to say that! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swirlygirl wrote: »
    The Dorabella Cipher...

I really hope I can find something in my mind to link it to that somehow as I like it :D

The Dorabella Cypher is 109 characters long and 109 Squadron was mentioned during the episode.
    I've checked up on Elgar's life but none of it fits the details Bracewell gave. Is there a connection between Leadworth's shut P.O. and his parent's ?

Dorabella also means 'precious gift' in Italian.

There were posts earlier this week about the 8 ash trees significance earlier this week...Melia is greek for Ash Tree. Cricket bats are made of Ash and if you review Amy's first scenes in the Tardis, there is a very heavy visual association made between her and the hat-stand in both TEH & TBB. Shes even stood looking like she's got antlers, horns or branches coming out of her head at one point which the director would surely not have allowed unless significant.

Did you notice the A.R.P. warden on the roof missing an A & P...Melia Ond ? Does Ond mean anything ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching a repeat of VOTD. I was struck by the name of Bracewells crush, Dora Bella. Its not a very usual name and was mention 3 or 4 times after. I'm probably reading too much into it but I felt as though they really wanted us to hear that name.

T'was I, I'll come clean.

The secret meaning of the 14 will become clear soon.

Dorabella will win the day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    The Dorabella Cypher is 109 characters long and 109 Squadron was mentioned during the episode.
    I've checked up on Elgar's life but none of it fits the details Bracewell gave. Is there a connection between Leadworth's shut P.O. and his parent's ?

Dorabella also means 'precious gift' in Italian.

There were posts earlier this week about the 8 ash trees significance earlier this week...Melia is greek for Ash Tree. Cricket bats are made of Ash and if you review Amy's first scenes in the Tardis, there is a very heavy visual association made between her and the hat-stand in both TEH & TBB. Shes even stood looking like she's got antlers, horns or branches coming out of her head at one point which the director would surely not have allowed unless significant.

Did you notice the A.R.P. warden on the roof missing an A & P...Melia Ond ? Does Ond mean anything ?

Önd, an Old Norse word for the "breath of life" given in Norse mythology by the god Odin to man. Which came to mean "evil" in the Old Norwegian language after Christianization.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Seriously, if even half of these theories are true we'll need half an hour of Matt Smith just sitting there, explaining it to everyone :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Önd, an Old Norse word for the "breath of life" given in Norse mythology by the god Odin to man. Which came to mean "evil" in the Old Norwegian language after Christianization.

Thanks Bow Tie theres something to think about. The Great Ash is significant in Norse mythology too I think. It got a mention in The Curse of Fenric.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bow Tie theres something to think about. The Great Ash is significant in Norse mythology too I think. It got a mention in The Curse of Fenric.

In Norse mythology a particular European ash tree called, "Yggdrasil" supports the very universe. But just as the Norse gods are doomed to succumb eventually to their foes, the Giants, so even this tree is not invincible. A terrible serpent gnaws at its root in Niflheim, and the great ash someday will come crashing down -- and along with it, the universe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    swirlygirl wrote: »
    The Dorabella Cipher...

This may be a rather stretched link, but Edward Elgar, who wrote the Dorabella Cipher was very involved in the Three Choirs Festival, which involes the cathedrals of Herford, Worcester and Gloucester. Leadworth is near to Gloucester and this year Gloucester is where the festival takes place.

Have just googled Enigma Variations. The version is normally performed today was first performed at the Three Choirs Festival. Variation Number 10 is called the Dorabella and includes Dorabella's stutter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benjolex wrote: »
    This may be a rather stretched link, but Edward Elgar, who wrote the Dorabella Cipher was very involved in the Three Choirs Festival, which involes the cathedrals of Herford, Worcester and Gloucester. Leadworth is near to Gloucester and this year Gloucester is where the festival takes place.

Thanks for that Benjolex, picking a specific town to mention must be significant for some reason. I'll keep it in mind.

I've wondered whether it was a Dr Foster went to Gloucester reference, the Doc falling into a pool, puddle or pond up to his middle. Nothing stands out on a map other than a Chedworth if I remember right.

Checking Norse mythology Odin breathed life into two logs of Elm and Ash to make the first man and woman..so the first woman was made of Ash. Remember all that trust me over an apple stuff.
  • Options
    swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    I love everyone on here :D

Fab theories! Keeps us all thinking. You think Moffat et al throw in any little things like this to keep our minds working?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a connection between Leadworth's shut P.O. and his parent's ?
    Unlikely, since his parents' post office would have been in Scotland and Leadworth is in England.

No, because he wasn't an ARP warden but part of a Rescue squad, and they only had the 'R' on their helmets. Someone poinbted this out last week, though to be honest i never knew about it before that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Unlikely, since his parents' post office would have been in Scotland and Leadworth is in England.
    Why should it be in Scotland, Amy is in Leadworth with a Scottish accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou tingy I've watched the exert again on iplayer and you can see the faint contrast of A&P where it has either been painted over or taken off.

Who would a rescue worker rescue on the roof of a building ?
    It was clearly the role of Air Raid Patrol wardens to shout "Put that light out" and "Don't you know there's a war on !" as every episode of Dad's Army teaches us.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Norse mythology a particular European ash tree called, "Yggdrasil" supports the very universe. But just as the Norse gods are doomed to succumb eventually to their foes, the Giants, so even this tree is not invincible. A terrible serpent gnaws at its root in Niflheim, and the great ash someday will come crashing down -- and along with it, the universe.

Crashing down on what? What does the tree stand on?!
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warming wrote: »
    Crashing down on what? What does the tree stand on?!

It's turtles all the way down.